8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do hid's require you to have a projector in your headlight or can you get them in your stock headlight housing, i dont want to spend the money on a retrofit just to get hid's so im wondering whether hid's can work in a stock headlight.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
The ultimate answer to your question is yes, you do not need to retrofit your headlight unit with projectors to get HIDs in there. You can easily buy a plug and play HID kit that will fit into your 9006 low beam housing. Although the light output will be better than stock (assuming you're either going with 4,300k or 6,000k), your light output won't necessarily be uniform. There will be hot spots. Your cutoff won't be sharp at all. The reliability of these parts are often questionable as well, since most people with retrofits are using OEM branded ballasts. There can also be a lot of glare that is produced since you're sticking a unit that makes a tremendous amount of light into a halogen housing, however I don't seem to notice it at all on these cars. I've noticed that's more of a problem on other cars i.e. DC2 Integras.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21376

·
Registered
273 Posts
i got my hid"s off of mobilehid.com they have super fast shipping. ordered on fri at noon. was in my mailbox monday afternoon. i got the 6000k. they look awesome no hot spots.great brightness and color. im very happy. they were 250 with free shipping. and if you have any ?s the person that runs it is great at calling you or emailing you back fast. i had a ? and he calld me within a half an hour of my email to him. i highly reccomend them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What exactly is the "cutoff" and how are they compared to stock light output? I'd love to do a retrofit, but for now I am thinking just a PNP. I do so much driving in the night, I want good lights.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts