8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious.

I used to get sooo many tickets with my old civics. I don't blame them, they were riced out and loud :facepalm:

My new car has light tints, retro HID, acura wheels, etc..

Do they take notice? Can a cop really spot a car lowered 1.5"-1.75"?

Just curious... I don't speed, so I haven't been pulled over (except on my sport bike) in YEARS. Just curious...

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
if you got a loud a$$ exhaust...a dumped car..tints in the front windows...not really sure on the tint law in NY...but also depends on the color of your car...if it's eye catching or not. and last but not least....drive responsibly and they shouldn't harass you...

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats all the obvious stuff. I'm more curious about the subtle stuff.

I notice these things, because I'm a car buff. Do they?

Like do cops really know which cars come with HID's stock? Do they notice trim lines (like can they tell an SI w/o the si logo on it)?

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
i drove by a check point all the cop told me was that H.I.D are illegal & i need to put back my stock & but didnt issue me no ticket.

i have 6K H.I.D, CF hood, 20% tinted windows i thought he would say about that but didnt & this was Westchester County Police Officer.

·
Registered
150 Posts
They give tickets for like 8-12K HIDs down at PR... but its rare. You could get away with 8Ks if they are not too blueish... Tints as long as they can see inside, they normally pass it unless they catch you speeding or are bored.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
My Si was red and I only got pulled over once in it. That was because I hit vtakkayo on an offramp. Its all in how you drive.

·
Tuna Fiddle
19,256 Posts
You should be ok. Retroed HID's aren't stupid glarey like non-retroed HID's and thats what generally catches the attention of law enforcement. Also if you aren't doin anything stupid to draw attention to yourself you should be fine. I drove my Si lowered w/ greddy exhaust for nearly 4 years and never once got harassed.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Don't slam it, make it loud or obnoxiously crazy looking and you should be okay. I have friends in their 20s who are officers, one is 27 and a Sheriff. I do believe there are also members on here who are POs as well.

·
Registered
666 Posts
yup I am a uniform officer I do notice Car Mods but guess what In my state we dont write tickets for MODS we TAKE PICTURES !!!!! lol unless its a ghetto sled then Im gona shut it down. All jokes aside I dont understand why in other states MOD - ING get harrasses so HARD!!!! MOD_ING is an ART. I live in louisiana we dont hate on IMPORTS in my city

AND NOT ALL COPS ARE DICKS , lol Or at least I dont Think I am

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have a state police barracks a mile down the road from my house. I had one stop by one day to tell me that I have a really nice car. He started asking me questions about how he could start modding his own car, then went on to tell me about his truck that he has lifted and goes mudding in. Most of the cops in my area are really nice about everything. As long as you're not breaking the laws they leave you alone.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
They don't unless you give them reason to notice anything about your car.
> loud exhaust or dark tint
> pink/green/blue HID's (yeah, I've seen them)

Just know the laws in your state and don't draw attention to yourself. Just don't bump music and look stupid while "being illegal" :giggle: and if you do get attention, just be polite.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts