8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a general car washing sponge (normal yellow kind) from Wal-mart for 2 bucks, are these prone to swirl marks? Or sponge with microfiber better for washing without swirl marks?

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Do not, I repeat, do not use sponges on your car. Use a good quality sheepskin or microfiber mitt. Use a good bucket with a grit guard. Doing so will help to eliminate damage to the paint by running dirt or particles of sand over the paint. Sponges can actually drag particles over the paint and increase swirls and scratches.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I use the Chenille Microfiber Mitt from wal-mart and it works well. Be sure NOT to dip it in the same bucket, use two buckets or use your hose to power wash the mitt, check the stickies in here for the info about that.

Also, I wash my mitt after every 1-2 car washes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NitrousG35 said:
Do not, I repeat, do not use sponges on your car. Use a good quality sheepskin or microfiber mitt. Use a good bucket with a grit guard. Doing so will help to eliminate damage to the paint by running dirt or particles of sand over the paint. Sponges can actually drag particles over the paint and increase swirls and scratches.
Microfiber sponge and microfiber mitt are the same right?

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Civic1stGen said:
Microfiber sponge and microfiber mitt are the same right?
Actually, I would not use a sponge simply because the nap of the sponge surface is shallow, allowing particles of dirt to be run over the paint. A mitt is more plush and can prevent particles from remaining on the surface of the mitt, thus stopping swirls and scratches.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
ronin said:
Swirls are unavoidable. You can do/use things to minimize it.
Actually, they can be avoided. My FA5 is 4 months old and I don't have one scratch or swirl in the paint. I had Rasky take a look at the car and even he said there wasn't anything he could do to improve on the paint quality.

I have meticulous in washing, drying and applying sealant and wax. I use a grit guard bucket, microfiber mitt, rinse well before and after, use waffle weave microfiber drying towels, use quality mf detailing towels for waxing and never, I repeat never use a duster on my car. When my car is dusty, I don't touch the paint until I wash it.

Here's my Si:

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
a wash sponge is like a foam pad for polishing. the product (in your case dirt and grit) stays at the top of the pad and you just scratch it along the
paint.

bad for your paint.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts