8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to several people on here and that I know IRL, if your CAI or SRI don't have the vanes that are present in the stock civic intake, the car drives like crap. I can't imagine this is true. 75% of the people here are using aftermarket intakes.
Getting a bit nervous, because I just bought a Mishimoto from someone here, and I really don't want it to make my car drive crappy.

What are your negative and positive experiences with your intake?

·
Registered
156 Posts
i had a k&n short ram on my SI, it did make a little more power top-end, but it did suffer a little at normal crusing speeds, under 3k say. i could tell the differance, i took it off after one weekend, still in the bastment somewhere!

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
well for R18....there is a weird idle problem that occurs in my car....

i had a fujita cai

than i made a DIY Intake with OEM MAS housing...and it actually stalls randomly when i shift to N....

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
AEM revised CAI. This thing is like a sixth man, intant power. Easy intall, great throttle response, no bogging or rough idle and sounds great. Best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have had the mishimoto for a lil over 2 weeks... and in love.... reminds me of just a crazy ass stock intake that looks AMAZING!!! and the grunt turns toooo many heads... i might not even get exhaust now lol... HFP for me lol.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
I ran the Fujita SRI for quite a long while. It sounded great, and it might have added something on the top end, but it was definitely sluggish under 3K.

I'm much happier with the modified stock intake, that another member was nice enough to help me with.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
The members here in Minnesota who have had either SRI's or CAI's have all complained of poor low end response, bogging and poor driveability. On the other hand, they have pleased with the performance on the top end and feel that the intake improved overall performance.

There is always a trade off when changing parts on a car. Running a SRI or CAI sans MAF housing with vanes often provides poorer driving characteristics at lower rpms and also potential problems with A/F ratios, especially with a race header and cat-back. To offset that, the sound is deeper and more powerful in VTEC and there does seem to be a seat of the pants increase in power. In the case of the CAI, which may be the best for overall performance due to the Heimholtz resonance factor, its trade off is getting hydrolock if run through water.

I am of the school that Honda designed the K20Z3 motor to run with vanes in the MAF housing so that the ECU could make changes to A/F ratio settings based on airflow. The vanes will help the ECU to compensate for any potential lean conditions caused by a race header and cat-back.

So, I designed my homemade intake for myself and Mattsbobo with a MAF housing using the vanes. The performance increase came with an enlarged intake cover and a cone filter with a larger surface area than the stock, flat filter. To this, a hole was cut in the top of the intake cover and a duct run to the wiper cowl to access cooler, denser air. Research, testing and applications in the last 40 years has shown that an enclosed airfilter box drawing from a high pressure area with cooler air will give increased power, more so than an open element air filter drawing in hot, ambient engine air.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
i had (well it's on my garage floor now) a AEM SRI. it made the car run like complete ****

made myself a custom apexi intake based on lightly modified stock maf, and it drives amazingly now

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
i had (well it's on my garage floor now) a AEM SRI. it made the car run like complete ****

made myself a custom apexi intake based on lightly modified stock maf, and it drives amazingly now
Yes, and I believe you have a superior system to any SRI currently out there. Because of the MAF housing with vanes, you are ensuring good driveability and throttle response in addition to normal A/F ratios.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Yes, and I believe you have a superior system to any SRI currently out there. Because of the MAF housing with vanes, you are ensuring good driveability and throttle response in addition to normal A/F ratios.
on my dyno, my AFR was always between 12.0 and 12.7.

so yes. perfect in every way. sounds INCREDIBLE with the stock exhaust (i can't hear it with the 70mm).

(i can't hear ANYTHING with the 70mm)

·
Registered
488 Posts
The members here in Minnesota who have had either SRI's or CAI's have all complained of poor low end response, bogging and poor driveability. On the other hand, they have pleased with the performance on the top end and feel that the intake improved overall performance.

There is always a trade off when changing parts on a car. Running a SRI or CAI sans MAF housing with vanes often provides poorer driving characteristics at lower rpms and also potential problems with A/F ratios, especially with a race header and cat-back. To offset that, the sound is deeper and more powerful in VTEC and there does seem to be a seat of the pants increase in power. In the case of the CAI, which may be the best for overall performance due to the Heimholtz resonance factor, its trade off is getting hydrolock if run through water.

I am of the school that Honda designed the K20Z3 motor to run with vanes in the MAF housing so that the ECU could make changes to A/F ratio settings based on airflow. The vanes will help the ECU to compensate for any potential lean conditions caused by a race header and cat-back.

So, I designed my homemade intake for myself and Mattsbobo with a MAF housing using the vanes. The performance increase came with an enlarged intake cover and a cone filter with a larger surface area than the stock, flat filter. To this, a hole was cut in the top of the intake cover and a duct run to the wiper cowl to access cooler, denser air. Research, testing and applications in the last 40 years has shown that an enclosed airfilter box drawing from a high pressure area with cooler air will give increased power, more so than an open element air filter drawing in hot, ambient engine air.
diy link plz?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I love my Injen SRI. I would say driveability is the same. Not much power increase, maybe a couple hp, but nothing noticible. It sounds a lot better though at 75%-WOT. So no negatives from me.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
drive like crap?? i dont understand why it would make your car drive like crap?

it gives you car more hp.. my first mod was injen cai and i loved it better throttle response less rev hang much much more power.

·
Premium Member
14,538 Posts
I have a Fujita SRI and have no complaints. Sure it is a bit more slugish at lower RPM's like some have said but it doesn't bother me.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
diy link plz?
Sadly, I don't have any pics of the magic Bill did inside with the cone filter, but here are a few pics to give you the general idea.

Here's the hole cut in the metal tray. This is the only place I'm taking air from

This pic shows that I have the bottom air port capped off. In addition to taking air from the cowl area, Bill is also using the M&M scoop for the lower port.

Here it is wrapped in heat resistant gold foil (not cheap)

Bottom half wrapped

Here's Bill's completed intake thread. Not really a DIY, but it'll show you more than my pics did.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/bolt...-induction-done-finished-finis-woot-woot.html

1 - 20 of 23 Posts