Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
1. Disconnect the battery
2. Open a little door in the bottom side of the steering wheel
3. Disconnect the airbag and horn
4. Remove the 2 bolts (one on each side) holding the airbag
5. Remove airbag
6. From the back side of the steering wheel, unscrew 4 (or 6, i forgot how many to be honest) screws that secure the front of the steering wheel trim
7. Unplug the steering wheel buttons from the connectors
8. Remove the steering wheel trim and buttons
9. Unscrew the steering wheel buttons from the trim, now you're free to do whatever with the front trim piece.

To remove the back trim piece: do steps 1-8 and
1. Unscrew the center bolt holding the steering wheel
2. Once that bolt is removed you'll see splines, make a mark (like a line across) from the steering wheel to the splines. This is so you know how/where to align the steering wheel when you put it back on.
3. Get a steering wheel puller and.... use it! The steering wheel should come right off.
4. Now i forgot exactly what else to do but at this point you'll have the wheel in your hand and it's probably just another few screws to take that back side trim off.

Btw, perfect time to remove (and do whatever you want with) the steering column trim. You can remove the two halves at any time but without the steering wheel in your way, things are easier.

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Don't know what the heat/cool cycle would do to the resin but I don't think a wheel application is something I would try. I would attempt to wrap it with vinyl.

·
Registered
326 Posts
How many people actually go through this? I know I did. It look easy than done. I wasted a lot of time and material on this. Why/ when it doesn't cure right, you're gotta start all over. If it does cure right, and you hope it will for 3 layers you already lost a week of your time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah it's super touchy stuff.

To anyone else willing to try it out: Just like previous posts have mentioned. try to wrap something simple and get some practice. you'll iron out your methods for tougher shapes and figure out your resin mix.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts