8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I've only used CF/resin from CJComposites so idk anything else but i'm happy with their products. You can find their products sold on ebay or on their own site (just google it).

I have not tried the vacuum system because I figured it would just add a lot more cost in (wasted) materials, although I do believe it would yield a better result since it pretty much eliminates bubbles (the enemy) and probably makes sanding that much quicker. Maybe one day I'll try it but for now, the method I'm using is working for me.

An 'easy' and simple part to start with would be something that's flat; the L-shaped parts on the door handle, the shifter trim is fairly easy, (if you have a coupe) those triangle pieces by the side mirrors are easy since it only has pretty much 2 bends....

·
Registered
97 Posts
So that B-pillar I thought was done wasn't! Apparently the clear coat hadn't cured and this occurred.
Do you think its the paint, or the amount of paint being applied? I'm not an expert painter but do my fair share of paint/bodywork. You'd be suprised how long paint takes to cure! I definately wouldn't put any kind of wax on them when finished. Just curious on your thoughts.

Parts look awesome by the way, I wish I had time to work on a project like this. I always loved making fiberglass parts.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks Devil.

I don't think it's the paint because it's automotive grade paint I'm now using. I started with Mr. Hobby Super Clear which is a scale model clear but it was too expensive in the quantities I needed + took forever to dry so I switched to Spraymax and that's great... I think that crazy orange peel is from the amount of layers I put on. I should have left the part uninstalled longer but now I know and it'll get fixed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
is there even such a thing as too much carbon fiber?? lol. i wanna see a whole carbon fiber interior one day.

How well will this work with exterior pieces? especially with holding up to rain and weather and such.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
As for your first question, it's a matter of personal taste.

The resin AND clear paint I use are both UV resistant so in theory, they should hold up well. I only have the B-pillar trim pieces on the outside wrapped in CF, they've been installed for a little over a month and so far everything's well with them. My interior pieces are done the same way but they get way less sun exposure and hold up just as good.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Yes. Making the entire part of CF requires way more work and more methods, stuff that I'm not willing to do since all I was looking to achieve was cosmetic appeal.

·
Registered
143 Posts
was kinda hoping for baller full cf parts i have been spoiled over on k20a.org with black-n-decker's threads over there dude is making full cf parts doors, air vents intake manifold bits

·
Registered
509 Posts
I recently got come cf trim pieces from a friend for free , as he was trading in his si . The only problem was the clear coat was pretty haggard . So I wet sanded them all down and re cleared them . With some guidance from this thread !

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Looks way better than b4. Just make sure the paint is cured b4 you install them, specially the L-shaped pieces since you will be touching those frequently.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Looks way better than b4. Just make sure the paint is cured b4 you install them, specially the L-shaped pieces since you will be touching those frequently.

Thanks again for the guidance ! And I agree 100% that it looks way better .
Next cf project I want to do from start to finish and actually learn to lay it .
Again this write up was amazing . Can't wait to see more from you

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is awesome been looking to do this to some of the trim... great write up and pictures are very clear, I better get on this before the summer is up :p

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Resin cures quicker in hotter temp. You can still do it in winter but it'll just take a lil longer to cure. Even when doing this indoors, temps of 65 and colder will make things harder. Somewhere in the first page I wrote about having to warm up the resin mixture prior to mixing the parts together to achieve a good mix + applying resin in a hotter temp room makes it flow easier so you achieve uniform results.

Post your pics, progress and/or finished results.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts