8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Canuck, I don't know how that piece looks like once removed since I have a coupe... you can take pics and post then I can see but without looking I can tell you this, CF bends really well. If your prep work is good, the CF should adhere well.

Sounds good to me. Yeah the coupe is definitely different than the sedan. I'll snap some pics and upload them this weekend once I finish up finals week at school.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Door Inserts? I too used fabric like everyone else...

I started with 3M's Di-Noc and it was cool.

Vinyl removed. Vertical lines are 3M's Primer 94.

Part prepped and CF cut to size.

(the other side) CF laid and 1st layer of resin applied.

Again, I skipped a bunch of steps (just the pics of them) and here you see the result after applying the CF, wet sanded, holes filled with clear with a toothpick, and a thin layer of clear coat (acrylic) over it. This is the largest part I've done so far and although it's flat and easy like I've said before, it takes way longer. I only applied one resin layer over the CF and I think I'm gonna leave it like that and just build up the thickness with clear because the part is so big that removing bubbles is such a tedious and time consuming job that clear might be my best choice for this part. I have no idea what I'm gonna get myself into when I start on my STI lip...

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is so cool but I'm way too lazy lmao. I've been looking into doing something for my e-brake because it's all scratched up

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
e-Brake Handle

I did it! :)

The matting of the 2 ends of CF (on the handle) was the hardest part but overall, an easy project. I also had to widen the hole on the handle so that the button wouldn't rub with the increased thickness by adding CF onto the button, I also sanded the button itself during the prep work to make it smaller to accomplish the same... And it doesn't rub!

Clear coated.

Here you can see some strands on CF going 'up' the left side of the handle where it overlapped. Level-wise, it's smooth. I'm happy with the result.

The button.

I'll polish them Sunday and post up pics of the finished results. These only have 4 coats of clear period. The reason is cause I spent more time with the resin to build the layers so the clear is simply used to polish it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Another trim piece of the door...

I had to make something to hold the trim piece. I used a bunch of plastic knives help together with epoxy for a strong bond.

Base layer applied, CF laid, backside being held by tape to help hold down the edges.

Here are both pieces, CF applied, mostly leveled.... It's very time consuming to get the whole piece to be super flat like I want it... but I'm not giving up. As you can see in this pic, I need to correct the mounting tabs that have been f-ed up from me removing and mounting them a few times (from stock to CF vinyl to real CF). I also sanded down the areas where I put epoxy to hold the plastic knives in earlier steps.

And the tool of choice was a McDonald's straw. It was a pretty good fit. I can also file them down (the diameter) if they don't fit on the door panel. I filled the little pieces of straw with fiberglass resin.

I was surprised that the straw actually came off fairly easy. I didn't think it would come off at all but either way it wont get seen once installed.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Some progress has been made. I've been busy working on these interior pieces + painting my wheels so it's been going slow lately. I also realized that using Mr. Hobby Super Clear is gonna be too expensive to keep using so I bought Spray Max 1K Clear and am gonna try it. It's cheaper and I get more but I never used it so let's see. It'll arrive in a few days so in the meantime I'll keep working on what I got. I haven't had my door panels installed in more than two months, I'm tired of riding like that.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Awesome thread! I've read about mking CF parts before,m but never considered just wrapping them.. You may have just caused me to get into laying CF sooner than anticipated..

Sub'd btw!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Sneak peak of my steering wheel

I did lots of sanding, about 7h worth of sanding... my feet hurt from standing so long....

I did the final prep work on the back side of the steering wheel, one door insert, one thin strip trim of the door (gave second hand of resin on the other one). Realized that Mr. Hobby is taking forever to cure and I cant read the instructions cause they're in Japanese.... Tomorrow the Spray Max arrives and I'll start on a few. It says I can sand after 12h but I'm gonna give it a week just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
:drooling: You can probably make your own CF intake.
I plan to 'destroy' my Skunk2 CAI... Wrap it in CF, then from the inside, sand it/bore it. It'll probably have to be done by hand but I think a Dremel with the little snake attachment can help do most of the work. Then I might leave it CF for show, so it looks nice or put some DEI Reflect-a-Gold for (perhaps) heat dissipation. I'll also have to find another intake to use in the meantime cause it'll take at least a month at the rate and analness I'm going at. But yeah, I've been thinking about it. Probably shave the Skunk2 letters/logo off and glue them on the outside of the finished product...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So that B-pillar I thought was done wasn't! Apparently the clear coat hadn't cured and this occurred.

Crazy orange peel, this being the worst piece this occurred to... no wonder people in the hobby forums would say they sometimes wait 2 weeks or more for this particular clear to cure... and I put on a thick coat! So today in letting them sit in the sun for 7h, tomorrow I'll even up the surface with 400grit and apply the new clear, Spray Max. Supposedly I can polish this clear after 12h but I'll give it a few days just to be sure. Here's the pieces that are ready for the 'final' clear coats.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Me being so picky about how I want it to be is making this take even longer...
I want close to perfect when it comes to a smooth flat surface. For now, this is how the door inserts sit after being clear coater, again!

These shots were taken of the pieces length wise. Honestly, once it's installed, it'll probably be hard to notice such waviness (and much less the orange peel) but I'll keep working on them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
180 or 150.
Docta, Thanks. I think I'm going to give it a try. Can you recommend a site to buy the composite material (CF, resin, hardner, pigment, etc) from?

Have you tried using a vacuum system yet? It looks like it would give a great result, but seems fairly expensive to get started.

What would you recommend as a good part to get started covering with CF?

21 - 40 of 80 Posts