8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my Walbro fuel pump and thought I'd write one up that has pics for everybody.

I bought mine from corsport here, CorSport: Fuel - Fuel Systems - GSS341/2. Just buy the pump and not the install kit, theirs nothing needed from the install kit.

What you need is,

1. Walbro 255 LPH HP fuel pump
2. Honda fuel injector O-ring, Part number is 91302-PNA-003
3. 12mm socket w/socket wrench
4. Philips screw driver
5. Large flat head screw driver
6. Small flat head screw driver
7. Rubber mallet
8. Paper towels
9. Razor blade or pocket knife

What is optional and recommended if your civic has high miles is to replace the pump filter since you'll take it off while your at it. Unfortunately I don't have the part number since I didn't replace it.

Here is the Walbro pump and new O-ring,

Now clean out your trunk and backseat. Then remove the backseat rest from the car like so.

Now pry up this carpet cover to access all the bolts for this metal cover.

Use your Philips to unscrew these four screws, pull the rubber boot out.

Disconnect the harness, and the two fuel lines. Also wipe as much dirt off as you can, you don't want a clump of dirt falling in the fuel tank.

Now due to not having the special tool to take the lock ring off, this is what you do. Use a flat head screw driver and mallet and hit on it to slowly unscrew the lock ring. You'll go about one full rotation until you can use your hands to finish taking it off.

Pull the assembly out slowly, keeping in mind the fuel level arm which is the black arm at the bottom hanging loosely.

Disconnect the pump, and the other two wires.

Pry the three tabs to remove the bottom cover from the assembly.

At the bottom of the pump release the three tabs and remove the large cover. Now simply push the pump free, careful cause it'll go flying if you give to much force. Gently now.

Remove the rubber boot from the pump, and I slowly and gently pried this metal stop off. Don't mess it up or lose it, you'll reuse it. Also remove the O-ring and the white spacer. Save the spacer you'll reuse it.

OEM fuel pump left, Walbro right.

New fuel injector O-ring left, OEM right.

Install the spacer with the new O-ring. Install the filter with the metal stop, it'll be tricky with the metal stop. It depends how much you bent it up removing it.

These following steps you use your own judgement to how much plastic and rubber you want to trim. Trim both rubber and plastic slowly while checking the fitment continuously, remember their needs to be enough left for the pump to sit snug in the assembly

Here I trimmed the top of the rubber boot, I was using a knife and didn't want to cut myself trying to trim the bottom.

Once enough has been trimmed, reinstall the pump and put back the small bottom cover.

Reinstall the large bottom cover, reconnect all three wires. It should look like this.

\

Carefully lower the assembly back into the tank. Press firmly all around then install the white lock ring. Careful here, the lock ring has the tendency to wanna cross thread. With the large flat head and mallet tighten the lock ring all the way.Whats important in this picture is that the arrow is within both lines on the fuel tank. If not, you'll have inaccurate fuel level readings.

Reconnect both lines, and the harness. Turn the key to position II and wait 5-10 seconds for the fuel pump to prime. Fire her up and let run for a minute. Once satisfied reinstall everything in reverse order.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
nice write up! does this just pump more fuel if you're upgrading performance? like all motoro or force induction ?

·
Registered
898 Posts
^^^ your car attempts to keep a constant air/fuel ratio, so adding the capacity to pump more fuel only helps if you are pulling in more air along with it. If you do nothing (or not much) for the air flow of the engine, then adding a higher capacity fuel pump will do nothing. In short, most likely unless you are going forced induction, you don't need to do this mod.

And great DIY!! Thanks for putting this together, I'm putting my Walbro in next weekend and was planning on doing one myself, now I don't need to :D And there are several great nuggets of information here, that I probably would have missed. So thanks again!

Now that you've got it in, what is the noise level like for you? Different people seem to have different experiences with this pump, some hear it all the time, some only when the tank is near empty, some not at all.

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
Excellent DIY, way more detailed then my old one. The sock is just a prefilter, the real fuel filter is built into the cage, to replace it you'll need a new cage. Also it's a real good idea to reset the ecu before firing it.

Chris- this is a must for the FI guys, the stock pump doesn't last long with the higher fuel demands.

I've had my walbro in for almost 3 years now, I have put it through hell and back and its still working perfectly. I hear the whine when it primes and if its cold outside.

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Thank u Tom!!! I've been needing someone to make one of these since supa meanie deleted his :/

But since ur not tuned on this does it effect ur mpgs?

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
Thank u Tom!!! I've been needing someone to make one of these since supa meanie deleted his :/

:umad: lololol.

I got 29-30mpg back when my car was a virgin honda, and i still get 29-30 even with the head gasket. The ECU will compensate the couple of extra psi of fuel pressure.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice write up! does this just pump more fuel if you're upgrading performance? like all motoro or force induction ?
Well it has the capacity to pump more fuel, I haven't changed the tune so I don't know if its doing anything right now. Boosted cars need this, all motor cars not so much though I guess it depends on how built the motor is and what it demands.

Now that you've got it in, what is the noise level like for you? Different people seem to have different experiences with this pump, some hear it all the time, some only when the tank is near empty, some not at all.
I hear it prime, with the radio off I guess I can hear a slight hum. I have full interior so its still quiet somewhat.

Excellent DIY, way more detailed then my old one. The sock is just a prefilter, the real fuel filter is built into the cage, to replace it you'll need a new cage. Also it's a real good idea to reset the ecu before firing it.
Thanks yeah they're several small details that I thought were important that weren't in the original DIY. I knew that wasn't the fuel filter filter so to say, wasn't sure what to call it. Just threw that idea out there for people who might wanna replace that, particularly higher mile cars. What is the miles a fuel filter should be replaced anyways?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I haven't noticed a change in my fuel economy and aren't worried about A/F at all. Soon enough its gonna be retuned anyways.

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
i've washed the sock out in the sink, I don't know what honda's intervals are for changing the actually fuel filter, aka fuel cage.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Nice job on DIY. I just pulled the fuel cage out this past weekend again to help on a buddies car. The lock ring on the cage is seriously a pain in the ass to put back on but I got better at the second time around. I do have to mention though that it wouldn't matter where the arrow ends up lining up with in the end. As long as you line up the arrow on the top of the cage to the arrow on the lock ring before turning the lock ring.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Dag nabbit! i should have waited till sunday...seems as if we both did this saturday. Heres what i did:

bought this one: CorSport: Fuel - Fuel Systems - GSS342/1/400-846

I guess walbro's latest design slighty matches our stock pump

i used the filter that came with the walbro

i also used the orange o-ring from a spare stock injector.i didn't use the metal retainer or trim the boot. it fits good enough...all was well because the white cap clipped back in

it went smooth like forced-rape into the bucket

i'll let you know within a week or two if i run into any problems :D

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
the drop down menu defaults at 02-05. i made sure i chose 06 si, i also added the note for them to make sure its for an fg2/k20 etc. before i checked out.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the drop down menu defaults at 02-05. i made sure i chose 06 si, i also added the note for them to make sure its for an fg2/k20 etc. before i checked out.
Well the difference between yours and mine is you bought the install kit for an additional $16, therefore you didn't have trim anything.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
did anyone happen to snag a pic of the FPR, i want to get an idea what it looks like so i know what i'm supposed to be crushing :giggle:

1 - 20 of 191 Posts