8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

221 - 240 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
At least someone answered. I asked the same questions awhile ago. Good to know you got an answer!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for this great DIY, it was awesome! Just a tip, add in to turn your wipers on so that they are perpendicular with the sides of the windshield, it helped a lot for me.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
did mine today. i have to say.. extremely easy and turned out great!

more pics to come once all is installed.

Matched my valve cover to my brakes.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
^thanks. im really impressed with how everything turned out.. the color changes alot in different light.. thats the general look of it unless it's in the sun.. then it really pops.

·
garage queen
17,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
****PLEASE DO NOT POST THESE PICTURES ANYWHERE ELSE****

I noticed the pictures for the previous DIY have been long gone. SO I thought I make a new one...

Tools:

- 10mm socket short and deep
- 12mm socket short and deep
- Whatever size ratchet you want use
- Extension
- Flat head screwdriver

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal (blue).

2. Take the cowl off.

Reusing this picture (credit goes to whoever took it)

*Green: the 3 push clips. Carefully pry off with the flat head.

*Yellow: pull up carefully.

There are 6 clips that hold it down (red):

After you take off the 3 push clips earlier, you can look underneath and see the 6 clips. Two ways to go about it, either just pull up gently until they pop out or if you have tiny hands go underneath and pop them yourself.

*Blue: Just pull down and out. You can leave it hanging on the windshield or unplug the windshield washer hose and move it out of the way.

3. Remove the shield.

-There are five 10mm bolts and four 12mm bolts you need to remove before pulling the shield out.

Red = 10mm
Blue = 12mm

*Left side:

*Middle:

*Right side:

-Once those are removed, just wiggle it out.

4. Remove IM cover and spark plug cover. Both are 10mm.

-Once those two 10mm nuts (red) are removed on the IM, carefully pull up, might take some effort. Same for the spark plug cover (blue).

-Unclip the vacuum hose and set it aside (yellow).

5. Removing the valve cover.

-Look on the right side of the valve cover and you will see a mess of stuff. Remove the two 10mm bolts that are attached to the valve cover. Leave it hanging.

-Remove the two 10mm bolts (blue) holding down the ignition coil packs, unplug them, move them aside, then take out the coils.
-Remove the six 10mm bolts (red).

-Be sure to remove the chrome washers before pulling off the valve cover! Finally remove the oil dip stick, cap and finally pull off the valve cover.

Installation: Reverse uninstall steps :laughing: *note- when tightening the valve cover bolts/nuts, I suggest not to torque them. You will most likely snap the bolt or stud. Just nicely snug is good, not too loose not too tight.

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
This phrase could have saved me close to $1,000. Just make them snug people. :readtherules:

*note- when tightening the valve cover bolts/nuts, I suggest not to torque them. You will most likely snap the bolt or stud. Just nicely snug is good, not too loose not too tight.

221 - 240 of 261 Posts