8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
garage queen
17,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone still looking or would like pictures and steps? I know there are old ****PLEASE DO NOT POST THESE PICTURES ANYWHERE ELSE****

I noticed the pictures for the previous DIY have been long gone. SO I thought I make a new one...

Tools:

- 10mm socket short and deep
- 12mm socket short and deep
- Whatever size ratchet you want use
- Extension
- Flat head screwdriver

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal (blue).

2. Take the cowl off.

Reusing this picture (credit goes to whoever took it)

*Green: the 3 push clips. Carefully pry off with the flat head.

*Yellow: pull up carefully.

There are 6 clips that hold it down (red):

After you take off the 3 push clips earlier, you can look underneath and see the 6 clips. Two ways to go about it, either just pull up gently until they pop out or if you have tiny hands go underneath and pop them yourself.

*Blue: Just pull down and out. You can leave it hanging on the windshield or unplug the windshield washer hose and move it out of the way.

3. Remove the shield.

-There are five 10mm bolts and four 12mm bolts you need to remove before pulling the shield out.

Red = 10mm
Blue = 12mm

*Left side:

*Middle:

*Right side:

-Once those are removed, just wiggle it out.

4. Remove IM cover and spark plug cover. Both are 10mm.

-Once those two 10mm nuts (red) are removed on the IM, carefully pull up, might take some effort. Same for the spark plug cover (blue).

-Unclip the vacuum hose and set it aside (yellow).

5. Removing the valve cover.

-Look on the right side of the valve cover and you will see a mess of stuff. Remove the two 10mm bolts that are attached to the valve cover. Leave it hanging.

-Remove the two 10mm bolts (blue) holding down the ignition coil packs, unplug them, move them aside, then take out the coils.
-Remove the six 10mm bolts (red).

-Be sure to remove the chrome washers before pulling off the valve cover! Finally remove the oil dip stick, cap and finally pull off the valve cover.

Installation: Reverse uninstall steps :laughing: *note- when tightening the valve cover bolts/nuts, I suggest not to torque them. You will most likely snap the bolt or stud. Just nicely snug is good, not too loose not too tight.

·
garage queen
17,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
asdf, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

:(

·
garage queen
17,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh BTW, this is for a sedan...doubt it's different from a coupe but just fiy.

·
garage queen
17,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Baddrummerboyy said:
Where do you put honda bond back on?
You don't necessarily have to, put if you want to just put a dab of hondabond on each of the corners.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I might used this when I do mine. How hard? from 1 to 10? 1 is the easiest.
<<<close to none experience.

·
garage queen
17,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wasn't hard at all. I guess I would say a 4 for a person with no experience. It's just unbolting things, just a little time consuming for all the crap you have to go through to get to the valve cover off. Just take your time and be careful.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Does anybody know whats the part no. of the valve cover gasket? and the people who use a sealant what sealant did you guys used?

·
garage queen
17,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dunno the part # off hand but just go to your local honda and tell the parts guy. pick up a tube of honda bond for sealant.

1 - 20 of 261 Posts