8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here we goooo.

THings you need...

pliers and a skinny flat-head.. maybe neosporin and bandaids. Easy breezy.

I have a CAI so no big tubes or resonators in the way. Big bushing faces upwards and small bushing (top) faces to the side.
1. Starting with the big bushing, I used pliers to take off the c-pins.

2. Unlink the bushing from the connection point so you can...

3. Remove the top metal piece using a flat-head screw driver. Should be fairly simple and we don't reuse it so just go ahead and be rough with it.

4. A lot of people seem to have trouble with this step, but I found it easiest to first place the bushing back into the connection point. Then jam a skinny flat-head between the stock rubber bushing and the metal connector (as shown) at various points to loosen it up, then just jam it in again and pry it out. The deeper you go the more leverage you have.

5. Bleed on your car because you weren't being careful.

6. Stick in your new bushing from the bottom so that the grooved end is at the top (really tight fit, probably going to require gentle hammering). Push the funky looking e-clip into the groove until it snaps in, insert new c-pin, voila! Big bushing done.

7. Repeat with small bushing so that the grooved end is again right next to the new c-pin.

8. The damage. Don't be retarded and be safe :wigglesmiley:

Since I have only been driving stick for 3 years, I didn't think I'd notice a difference. But as soon as I turned my car on and shifted into reverse, whoa, a lot more resistance. This definitely was not a bad thing because my shifter was wiggling around too much before. I took it out for a spin and I felt a lot more confidence shifting into the gears. Main things I noticed: You're much more confident that your gear is engaged, the "wall" blocking off reverse is a lot more defined, and my 3rd gear experienced a little hiccup before engaging (once), but it definitely wasn't as bad as before. I'd recommend it if you feel like your shifter is a little sloppy. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
my favorite part of your diy.

4. A lot of people seem to have trouble with this step, but I found it easiest to first place the bushing back into the connection point. Then jam a skinny flat-head between the stock rubber bushing and the metal connector (as shown) at various points to loosen it up, then just jam it in again and pry it out. The deeper you go the more leverage you have.

THATS WHAT SHE SAID.
/thread jack

awesome write up and its good to know that this fairly cheap upgrade can make a difference!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there's probably like 5-6 "thats what she said moments" here. ahha even i noticed how raunchy this diy sounds

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm- i kept my oem washers on the top of both of the shifter bushings, they protect the bushings better :)
i'm not sure but i think the 06 and 07+ bushings are different. it seems like if i placed anything on top of the bushing, it would block the c-pin.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dang, the pictures expired/went bad... :/ could someone point me to a current or active thread with cable bushing installs? muchas gracias!

·
Registered
647 Posts
^^ I have there adapter but I bought a set of ebay off brand bushings for $10. I couldn't justify spending higher than that for bushings. Shifting into 2nd, 4th, and 6th with the torque solutions adapter was a pain. It did make the shifts feel shorter but You couldn't quick shift at all. I had to granny shift the all the time and it sucked. Then I added a 70a rear mount to see if that would help and it did.
TREMENDOUSLY!!!
If you don't have atleast a rear mount I don't recommend using there short shifter adapter.

·
Registered
647 Posts
^^ I have there adapter but I bought a set of ebay off brand bushings for $10. I couldn't justify spending higher than that for bushings. Shifting into 2nd, 4th, and 6th with the torque solutions adapter was a pain. It did make the shifts feel shorter but You couldn't quick shift at all. I had to granny shift the all the time and it sucked. Then I added a 70a rear mount to see if that would help and it did.
TREMENDOUSLY!!!
If you don't have atleast a rear mount I don't recommend using there short shifter adapter.
Edit: I just noticed you said with a short shifter assembly. I feel like a tool now. Lol. Forgive me. I'm half asleep.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts