8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great DIY! I am replacing the Chain, guides and chain tensioner on my wife's R18 tonight, I am going to put a DIY together with ALLDATA instructions as well as photos from my work. I will use your write-up as a format reference for mine!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Depends how quick you are and what tools you have, something a shop could do with a lift and proper air tools in an hour might take you at home with a jack and hand tools 5 hours. Also jobs like this dont take long if everything goes OK. But when that last bolt shears off at the head and you have to get that bolt out to drive the car, it always takes longer than expected.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm in the process of changing my stretched Timing Chain.
Had the P0341 Code and the car was in limp mode. So...
Chain Cover is off. I only have a small window of time to work on it till my next days off. Otherwise it would've been finished.

I noticed my exhaust cam was off a few degrees when checking the cam and crank alignment..
Im just hoping none of my Valves are bent.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Finished my T-Chain on Monday.
Thanks to this post and YouTube for the help! And my 12yr old daughter for helping guide the cover back on.

Does anyone know if the K20z3 is a Non-Interference Motor?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I dont know if any modern motors with their high compression and cam specs are non-interference. The K series is definitely an interference motor, pistons touching valves happens all the time when things are not done correctly or if something lets go.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Gearing up to do this in the spring! My '06 has 192K miles, and I don't know that the chain has ever been changed. It is time.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts