8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

DIY: Tien S-Tech Springs

100K views 189 replies 127 participants last post by  Redlyne5 
#1 · (Edited)

I just got it from the mail.

STARTING OFF

1) Put your window wipers up to take off round cover to better access the strut tower.

2) Take out cover to access strut tower.

3) Take off back trunk cover.

4) Take off tabs holding trunk carpet molding.

Here is what to get after step 4. It gives you better access to the rear strut.

FRONT SPRINGS

5) Loosen the three bolts for front strut.

Here are the three bolts I'm talking about in step 5.

6) Unbolt break line and clip off ABS sensor.

Here's what you get after completing step 6.

7) Take off bolts holding the strut tower link. If I remember correctly, it's 17 and 19.

8) Strut towers should come down. Just take it off.

Here’s what the strut towers look like.

9) Use a spring compressor to compress springs. Make sure the bottom tip of the spring is facing you so that it’s more stable.

Each spring will tell you F 18GKX83 R. “F” for front and “R” for right. The rear springs will only say “R” for right or “L” for left.

10) Unbolt strut tower assembly from spring.

Be careful when taking off the assembly for the bump stop. We had to pick up 30 ball bearings from the floor and took a long time looking for them. My suggestion is taking it off upside down.

Here is the bump stop.

11) Approximately cut an inch from the bump stop. This is recommended by Teins.

12) Assemble spring by twisting it into the strut cover.

13) Use spring compressor to put strut assembly back together.

14) Put strut tower back, easier if you had help. Put bolts back holding the top of strut.

15) Put bolts back that link to strut to rotors and break lines with ABS sensors.

[Repeat steps for the other front side.]

REAR SPRINGS

16) Take off bolt holding break line and unclip ABS sensor.

Also take off sway bar link.

17) Take off bolt from rotor mount linkage to strut tower.

18) This is where good muscle is needed! Use a pry bar to pry down the strut tower. CAUTION…Make sure you head is nowhere near the tower! It comes off fast and hard.

19) Take off old spring and put the new spring in place.

20) Assemble everything back together.

Difference between stock and Tien springs.
Initial drop is pretty decent. Wait +/- a few weeks for springs to settle.
The ride comfort still feels like stock springs, which is what you want.
Camber kit is recommended.
Project time took about an hour to an hour and a half.
Hope you find this helpful.

Thanks Manny for the help!

See less See more
#16 ·
1ST question had been already anwsered, but the second is no, i haven't heard anything unusual... if anything, it's actually alot quieter than stock, cuz on certain bumps i would hear something, but the teins are very quiet and comfortable as well.

#12 ·
ya it would look a lot better.... btw, guess im not gettin a camber kit... lmao, i baught that damn snowboard, cuz mah gf hella loves snowboardin, and i aint gonna pay $50 for rental!! n, i guess those rims won't be anytime soon neither, since ima go back to school... :(

#14 ·
^ wells, when i go snowboardin, you can either watch or rent one... and watch, you're gonna end up goin more than once... it ain't mah fault you suck at halo!!!

anyways... you can tell yourself whatever you want to make yourself feel better, but mah car, as everyone knows is the cleanest FA5 in vegas... oh, and mah car is original. all mah mods were all my ideas... can't say the same for you... lol

#15 ·
^psssh original?? OMG "i painted the grille black", jdm emblems, tien lowering springs, tinted windows, oh and taking out the muffler and stickin the stock tip don't count. all except for the "muffler" mod everyone else has done... so much 4 original... DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH!!! LMFAO ROFL!!

p.s. u know i'm just kiddin, the part where i'm makin fun of u, of coarse. lol

#17 ·
lmao... naw man... i can't say yours or mine is better, we're in the same team heat buddy... but ya, any ideas i have, i love to see it in a car, even if it's not mine... feel me!!

btw, we need to do some diy side markers, since ima do that instead of jdm side mirrors... yes, that was your idea cuz mine was jst to get hybrid, but you went furhter and went with jdm.

#21 ·
:yeahthat: i have a sound up in my front strut. honda said its a strut mount n i have to put mu stock springs on first befor they do anything. Question is: Do I just get new struts? or have honda put a new one in and have that one go bad too. Springs will just do that right?

#33 ·
I noticed that the rear shock wasn't taken off in this DIY, and that the bumpstops weren't cut. Isn't it recommended to cut the bumpstops if you're gonna use the stock shocks with lowering springs so as not to bottom out your shocks? Or is this an unnecessary step? I really don't wanna take out the rear shock if you don't have to, cuz I don't wanna pull up the carpet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.