8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know there are several other catch can DIYs already. I had so much fun building this catch can that I wanted to share it. Maybe someone can make use of the information.

Parts list: (cost is about $50 total)
1 Walmart thermos with screw on top
3/8 tap
9/16 drill bit
5/16 drill bit
5/16 hose barb
1/4 hose barb
5/8 hose barb
steel wool
JB weld
cheap autozone breather filter
thin gauge aluminum strip (i found one at lowes)

Using the 9/16 drill bit, drill a hole in the cap of the thermos. This serves as a pilot hole for you to tap the 3/8 hole. Tap the hole and put the 1/4 hose barb in the cap.

Pick two spots on the side of the thermos and drill two holes with the 9/16 bit and tap the holes. Depending on how you mount the catch can this step is important. You want these two holes to hold the 5/16 and 5/8 hose barbs. So the holes need to be arranged in a manner that allows you to connect the lines from the valve cover inlet (5/8) and the PCV line (5/16). Assuming you use the same mount location as me drill the holes so that the hose barbs form a right angle inside the thermos.

The next step is to use the JB weld to create a seal on the hose barbs. Follow the instructions on the packaging of the JB weld and apply the JB weld. Allow the JB weld to dry before installing the catch can. You want a good tight seal before using it.

Now you can put the breather filter on. The catch can is now complete and is ready for mounting.

Here we are going to use the aluminum strip and bend it in to a mounting bracket. Take a vice and bend a right angle. Then use the 5/16 drill bit and drill a hole. This will be used to mount the bracket to the frame rail.

This part is a little tricky. Bend the aluminum strip in a circle type of shape. I used the thermos to help form the bend appropriately. The strip needs to be bent so that it forms back to back flat surfaces. Then drill another 5/16 hole where the back to back portion is. This new hole will have a nut a bolt going through it. Basically fastening the bracket to the thermos. Cut off the extra length of aluminum stripping.

We now have a bracket completed and a catch can completed. The final step is to mount the thing and connect the lines to it. I found a great spot for the catch can on the driver's side frame rail. There is a common ground location that just so happens to have the perfect size bolt to bolt the bracket to the frame rail. Put the catch can in the bracket, then bolt the bracket to the frame rail.

Connect some lines to the PCV (5/16) and to the valve cover inlet (5/8). Stuff some steel wool down inside the catch can and screw the cap on the thermos.

DONE! :beer:

Conclusion and Disclaimer:

The thermos is a good choice as a catch can container because it is designed to hold hot fluids (why not motor oil?). The screw cap allows you to periodically empty the contents of the catch can. It may not be as thick gauge as more expensive catch cans, but the thermos design is quite sturdy considering the price ($14 for the thermos). I have been running this catch can for months and i'm very happy with it so far. I hope others might have other creative ideas for catch cans made at home.

Please be safe when using power tools and wear safety goggles. I take no responsibility if someone injures themselves making their own catch can following these directions. Use power tools, etc. at your own risk.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have seen people build similar setups with stainless steel water bottles.

I'm assuming you used the steel wool to make some sort of internal baffle to capture oil vapor?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts