8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently I received my Skunk2 intake and decided to make a DIY because this install can be complicated for first timers. This install took me about 8+ hours.

I also made a printer friendly PDF with pictures attached to this thread.

This guide will not explain every single removal procedure, it is instead focused on the relocation's and confusing parts.
If you find any errors or problem with this guide, let me know so I can correct them.

NOTE: Skunk2 air hose provided is meant to be cut into 2 pieces for the install.

Skunk2 Air Intake System
343-05-0100
Honda Civic Si, 06-11

Coolant Replacement

1. Start the engine. Set the heater temperature to max heat, then turn off the ignition switch. Make sure the engine and radiator are cool to the touch.

2. Remove the radiator cap.

3. Loosen the drain plug, and drain the coolant.

4. After the coolant has drained, tighten the radiator drain plug.

5. Remove the reserve tank, and drain the coolant, then reinstall the reserve tank.

Fender Trim and Grille Cover Removal

1. Remove Clips (A) and (B). To remove the clip, pry the inner head upward.

Front Bumper Removal - putting the car on jacks can help with this process.

1. Remove two screws - one on each side of the bumper.

2. Remove the clips (A) and clips (B), and bolts (C) securing the bumper.

3. Pull on the front bumper at the wheel arch areas to release it from the hooks on the side spacers. Pull the bumper to release the bumper from the hooks on the corner upper beam.

4. If quipped, disconnect the front fog light connectors.

Battery/ECU Removal

1. Remove the battery. Disconnect negative terminal first.

2. To remove the battery tray, you must remove 4 bolts securing the tray. Two on top and two underneath.

3. To remove the ECU, first remove the ECU cover. Next remove 3 bolts holding the ECU. And finally disconnect the 3 connectors behind the ECU.

4. Remove stock/aftermarket air intake system.

5. To remove the ECU bracket, you must first loosen up the fuse box by unclipping it from its brackets.

6. Next remove 4 bolts securing the bracket.

Radiator Hose Removal

1. To remove the hose, unclip both ends and carefully pull the hose.

2. Reinstall the new Skunk2 Radiator hose using the existing OEM clips. Skunk2 logo should be facing up.

Installing Skunk2 brackets

1. Install the fuse box bracket by securing it to the existing hole using an existing bolt.

2. Install the Coolant Reservoir bracket to the hole in the picture.

3. Install the new battery bracket using existing bottom holes. For the 3rd hole - Level the bracket and drill an 8mm or 21/64 hole on the frame where indicated.

4. Attach the Isolator Mount using the screws included with the kit.

5. Fill and Reinstall the Coolant Reservoir tank.

Final steps

1. Reinstall the ECU using 3 bolts included with the kit.

2. Install the Skunk2 intake by working from left to right.

3. Once the intake is in place and everything lines up, you can tighten the clamps on the intake.

4. Next attach 1/2 hose to each intake valve. Hose provided in the kit can be cut into 2 pieces.

5. Reinstall the ECU Cover and reinstall the fuse box. Reinstall the MAF sensor if needed.

6. Reinstall the battery and once everything is in place tighten all screws/bolts.

7. Fill coolant, and check for leaks. Always use genuine Honda Coolant Type 2. Using a non-Honda coolant can result in corrosion, causing the cooling system to malfunction or fail. Do not add water.

Engine Coolant Capacities:
After Coolant Change - 1.14 US gal
After Engine Overhaul - 1.74 US gal

8. Loosely install the radiator cap.

9. Start the engine, and let run until it warms up (the radiator fan comes on at least twice).

10. Turn off the engine. Check the level in the radiator and add coolant if needed.

11. Put the radiator cap on tightly, then run the engine again, and check for leaks.

12. Reinstall the bumper.

WARNING:
I take no responsibility for any fault or damage caused by any procedures within this guide. No warranties of any kind are given.

Comments, questions are welcome. Thanks to Bumpy Bump and xMyazXtr3me for helping out!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
nice DIY, you dont need to remove all the clips on the bumper like you mentioned.
i also find it funny how skunk2 mounted the over flow below the battery so you can't add or check your level and on top of that use the MAIN wiring harness ground and a mounted spot.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice DIY, you dont need to remove all the clips on the bumper like you mentioned.
i also find it funny how skunk2 mounted the over flow below the battery so you can't add or check your level and on top of that use the MAIN wiring harness ground and a mounted spot.
Thanks, I removed only the first set of clips, but it still didn't come off so I had remove the other ones...idk

·
Registered
77 Posts
i didn't like that either, it's a pain in ass to check your coolant level now :deadhorse:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know that when i get mine i'll be sanding off the powder coating on the bracket on both sides to ensure a good solid ground connection. i don't like the idea of it just being grounded through the bolt that holds it in place.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm a super n00b and can't for the life of me bolt the second hole on the bottom of the skunk2 battery tray, If I just bolt one hole on the bottom and drill the hole on top, will I be alright and good to go?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm a super n00b and can't for the life of me bolt the second hole on the bottom of the skunk2 battery tray, If I just bolt one hole on the bottom and drill the hole on top, will I be alright and good to go?
thanks for the DIY!! i just got my intake yesterday.. how do you like it??
Yeah, 2nd hole was super hard to bolt, but it can b done with enough wiggling...

This intake it great, going from an SRI I can feel the car finally getting more breathing power

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yeah, 2nd hole was super hard to bolt, but it can b done with enough wiggling...

This intake it great, going from an SRI I can feel the car finally getting more breathing power
yeah, I just left the 3rd hole unbolted, it doesn't seem like the tray is going anywhere with the two bolts. =) thanks for the awesome DIY, like I said, i'm a beginner in turning wrenches so this def helped me out, I don't think I would have been able to do the install myself without this.

8hrs? man thats a long time it took me about 1hr and a half
took me well over 8 hours, approx 10-11 hours for me =)

·
ThpoonThports
26,656 Posts
yeah, I just left the 3rd hole unbolted, it doesn't seem like the tray is going anywhere with the two bolts. =) thanks for the awesome DIY, like I said, i'm a beginner in turning wrenches so this def helped me out, I don't think I would have been able to do the install myself without this.

took me well over 8 hours, approx 10-11 hours for me =)
i only bolted 2 out of the 3 bolts as well.. felt pretty solid with just the 2.. i may bolt it on later when i figure a way to get to it easily..

as for install.. took me only 2 hours.. hardest part for me was drilling the whole in the support beam.. that was with me taking breaks too..

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Took me about 45min maybe an hour i was doing it when I replaced my clutch lol.
Btw you dont need to take the bumper or drill the hole the only thing i find wring with the system is the battery hits the fan

·
Registered
115 Posts
I know that when i get mine i'll be sanding off the powder coating on the bracket on both sides to ensure a good solid ground connection. i don't like the idea of it just being grounded through the bolt that holds it in place.
Honestly who the hell checks there coolent through there. All you really need to do is check your radiator cap.

·
Registered
264 Posts
:pat: hey! I just wonder before you do the DIY for Skunk air intake, You already have an SRI, I just wondered is there any difference between SRI and Skunk Air Intake?, it seems like SRI is most less job to install.

·
Registered
386 Posts
its a bigger intake so, if you have intake manifold bigger throttle body, its a really nice addition and adds more power.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts