8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there is a tut for this already in the lighting forum.. But it doesn't show any pics or video's and mine does.


And as a warning... I am not responsible if you cook your headlights too long and ruin them. I am no way an expert (nor my friends) and this guide is only to be used as a reference (hoepfully a good one). If you have anything to add that can make this tutorial better, plese let me know and I"ll make the changes!


DIY: Clear corners on 07 Civic SI Sedan

Tools needed:
At least 2 buddies.
Flat head screw driver
Phillips screw driver
10 mm socket w/extensions (at least 10")
T-30 torx wrench
Oven set at 225 degrees
Clear RVT silicone (optional)
Some gloves (optional for when the headlights come out of the oven)

Time needed: 3-5 hours depending on how hard/fast you work.

A tip: Keep all the bolts/lil plastic pieces in here. That way you won't lose em ;)


Step 1: Find your car, gather your tools, get your buddys and get ready to have some fun!

Step 2: Get your car on jack stands or car ramps.


Step 3: Remove fan shroud/radiator cover thingy.
Use your flat head screw driver to remove the 2 plastic push pins thats holding it on.
Also, be sure to remove the plastic pins at the corners so you can take the piece off.



Step 4: Remove the 2 torx bolts attatching the grill.


Step 5: Using the phillips screw driver, remove the one screw that is in the fender well that supports each side of the front bumper.

Oh and don't do this....


Step 6: Get yoru buddy and remove the bumper!

You'll end up with this!


**Note** When your removing the front bumper, it fastens in the center is just by some little tabs that you pull. So it takes a lil bit of grunt to seperate them, but its what you've got to do.

Step 7: Time to take out the headlights. Remove 4 bolts that hold the headlights in. 10 MM socket needed. There is one more bolt that I didnt get a picture of, but it holds the bracket to the bottom of the headlight.



You can kinda see it, but this olt is hidden.. Gotta use your extensions to get it.



Step 8: Remove the headlights. Pretty straight forward.. You need to remove the plugs off the bulbs and then just wiggle the headlight out. It's not the easiest thing to get out. Just be careful not to scratch the paint or crack the lense or anything dumb like that.


The harness is connected to the housing by this little tab thing.

And just for reference, here's the order the plugs conenct.


Step 9: Find your oven (electric is what I used) and set it to 275 degrees. Remove your bulbs and the little gray grommet on top and set them aside, being very careful not to touch the glass on the bulb.

VERY IMPORTANT!!! DO NOT LEAVE THE HEADLIGHTS IN THE OVEN LONGER THAN 5-6 MINUTES. I LEFT EM IN FOR ABOUT 6 MINUTES. IF YOU MESS UP AND MELT YOUR HOUSINGS, ITS NO MY FAULT!!



Step 10: Pull your headlight/s out of the oven and work quickly. Using your flat head screw driver, pop the tabs (don't break them) and seperate the headlight lense from the housing,o yeah and make sure your buddy is not doin something stupid aswell like mine was by removin glue off tha headlight,like i didnt want.
reference video.



Step 11: Time to remove the yellow stuff from the headlights! You'll need to rermove 2 phillips screws. There's also one little tab, qhich, I broke on both of the headlights, but they really don't do anything so I would'nt worry about it too much :p

Pointing at the lil clip you're gonna break.


And the broken tab.

Ta daa!!!


Step 12: Re-assembly,u can either remove all the glue and add new clear sealant or do what i did and just heat them back up and stick em back togeather . Reference the video.


And here's some side by side pics with and without the yellow corners..



Step 13: Backtrack and re-assemble the front end of your car! You must re-install your headlight bracket, then the headlight itself.
Reference video plz ;)



Basically, thats it. Just do the reverse of what you did to take everything off.

What does the end result look like?




Daytime pics will be up tomorrow!

Enj0y!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
damn dude, you guys messed up on the DIY job! lol! :laughing: looks good though! :thumb: don't forget to add that you need to remove the rubber seal on the 9005 and 9006 bulb location and to remove the small gray rubber thing on top of the headlights.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
98,627 Posts
Also remember to keep the headlight away from touching the sides of the oven. And don't loose the gray rubber pieces that are at the top of the headlight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
837 Posts
Awesome DIY, can't wait to see the daytime pics...i've been wondering how to do this since I myself am not a huge fan of the orange corners!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
Here are the ones I did on my wife's car. I like the 4dr more b/c the sealant's softer than the coupe's. The amber's a little more tricky though.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YEAP,i used that VHS wrinkle red paint. You can see how it turned, i thought it looked pretty good,i just couldn't pay 150 bucks 4 a jdm valve cover i had to try it out myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
RALLYRDSI said:
YEAP,i used that VHS wrinkle red paint. You can see how it turned, i thought it looked pretty good,i just couldn't pay 150 bucks 4 a jdm valve cover i had to try it out myself.
Well, I found a cheap jdm one, but I don't think I should get it. There's stuff you gotta get to make it work right? I think I would be better off to paint it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
YEAP, its a special paint vhs makes it in red and u got to cook your v/c in the oven 4 like 30 mins and u get that wrinkle effect
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
RALLYRDSI said:
YEAP, its a special paint vhs makes it in red and u got to cook your v/c in the oven 4 like 30 mins and u get that wrinkle effect
How durable is it? Has it ever chipped? How did you prep it? Does it change the outcome of it the longer you leave it in?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
RALLYRDSI said:
YEAP, its a special paint vhs makes it in red and u got to cook your v/c in the oven 4 like 30 mins and u get that wrinkle effect
is it VHS or VHT? i can't seem to find VHS paint. Looks good on the valve cover! NOW DO A DIY ON THAT THING! lol! :laughing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
YEAH, I just got home and looked it is VHT wrinkle paint,i got it from o'reily auto store that was the only place i found the red color.But it was pretty straight forward, u just sand the painted surface u already have and tape off the engraved honda and ur spark blugs holes and ur screw holes and paint it three light coats different ways vert,dign,and horz.Then just put it somewhere to cook, i put mine in a propane grill and it turned out alright
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
RALLYRDSI said:
YEAH, I just got home and looked it is VHT wrinkle paint,i got it from o'reily auto store that was the only place i found the red color.But it was pretty straight forward, u just sand the painted surface u already have and tape off the engraved honda and ur spark blugs holes and ur screw holes and paint it three light coats different ways vert,dign,and horz.Then just put it somewhere to cook, i put mine in a propane grill and it turned out alright
While we're on the subject of it. I think it would work good to use earplugs to fill the holes for the screw holes or whatever. did you have any leaks afterwards? did you buy a new gasket? What sealant did you use in the corners?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Only question I have is why you needed to break the plastic Tab, I have done many of these retro and never had to break any tabs, also there is absolutely no need to remove anything from the light assembly when you put it in the oven all the parts of the assembly are rated for high Temp I am guessing you never opened your hood in the summer after being in traffic for a while it is alot hotter under the hood than 225. Good job anyway but in the future all DYI should not have anything related to here is the Tab that needs to be broken if you need to break it then you don't know what you are doing
Anyway my 2 Cents

:vtec: :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
SIis4ME said:
Only question I have is why you needed to break the plastic Tab, I have done many of these retro and never had to break any tabs, also there is absolutely no need to remove anything from the light assembly when you put it in the oven all the parts of the assembly are rated for high Temp I am guessing you never opened your hood in the summer after being in traffic for a while it is alot hotter under the hood than 225. Good job anyway but in the future all DYI should not have anything related to here is the Tab that needs to be broken if you need to break it then you don't know what you are doing
Anyway my 2 Cents

:vtec: :thumb:
He has a point. I didn't break mine either and I also left the rubber bushings on there. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Excalibur said:
He has a point. I didn't break mine either and I also left the rubber bushings on there. :thumb:
It was 275 and i know it gets hot but i didnt want to take a chance an on the other broken piece,ok thats cool yal didnt break it yal r awesome but im just tellin how i did it an i broke the little piece sorry 4 tellin exactly what happen AND THATS MY 2 CENTS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
RALLYRDSI said:
It was 275 and i know it gets hot but i didnt want to take a chance an on the other broken piece,ok thats cool yal didnt break it yal r awesome but im just tellin how i did it an i broke the little piece sorry 4 tellin exactly what happen AND THATS MY 2 CENTS
No it's all good. We're just puttin it out there for others that do it and read through this. I almost broke it if it makes you feel better. You got the job done and that's all that matters. :thumb:
 
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Top