8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
37,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i cleaned my k&n air filter this weekend and decided to clean the MAF also. This may seem as a simple enough task, but just in case members didnt know how this is done > here it is.

This should be done everytime you change your air filter sure

things you'll need
about 15 minutes
MAF cleaner
a phillips screwdriver
a socket wrench with a 10mm socket

First you need to disconnect the neg battery terminal.

Then disconnect the MAF.

Now unscrew the MAF

you'll need to unclip the airbox and pull it forward so you can remove the MAF, that baby is longer then you'd think.

Now lift the MAF out of its place.

Now you'll need to spray the MAF with MAF cleaner like this one, cost was $6 at local autoparts store.

Let it dry and you need to reinstall the airbox.

Reinstall the MAF and MAF wiring.

Now reconnect the battery and you're finished :clapping:

overall this is a very simple task but you need to take a few precautions
make sure no dirt gets into your intake manifold upon removing the airbox
make sure you dont drop the MAF
make sure theres no current going through your car or maf while spraying
and make sure nothing I repeat nothing comes in contact with the wirethread inside the MAF sensor housing

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
great DIY. I would offer a suggestion to use a product called deoxit. Its a high quailty electrical cleaner sold at radioshack and most music/guitar stores.

also to clean the electrical connection/plug. And you could use a small amount di-elctric grease on the plug ends to help keep moisture/dirt out.

I used to own a VW and it would have electrical gremlins - I would clean every connector and the gremlins would go away. My dads harley had starting issues and his method was to remove and buy new parts. I told him to clean the connections and it worked.

·
Premium Member
37,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i agree with you, on the gremlins thing, i also own a 2000 jaguar vanden plas. i use a seperate product for cleaning the wires, same manufacturer though. i dont grease because i want the work to be undetected and honda doesnt use grease so hence the no greasing

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Why do you need to unplug the batter?? I've changed my air filter several times and unplug the MAF but never the battery.

·
Premium Member
37,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not unplugging the battery for changing the airfilter wont damge your car, it will reset ur a/f reading and adjust for the increased airflow. but i was talking about unplugging the battery for cleaning the maf this way theres no current running through the system to protect the maf, im not sure where ther priced for this car but i can imagine...

·
Premium Member
37,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what exactly do the K&N air filters do that benefits the car?
i have an auto coupe lx, and adding the k&n filter did two things for my car,

the first it improved my gas mileage by about 3 mpg's(im at 20mpg city, and was at 17 mpg city)

second it made that drag feeling right after it upshifts(lack of torque) thinner.meaning it last shorter and accelerates quicker(all you racing cars im not talking about 3/10ths of my 1/4)

all in all id recommend it, in those pics you notice the stock1 is in there, but thats cause i washed out the k&n the night before and was re-oiling it

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
Good DIY.

I'd like to add that the SI MAF is COMPLETELy different looking than the r18 one as well. There are 2 airflow wires in the si's and there is no metal enclosure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
... clean the MAF

Hi all,

I did all I have to do but I saw that my MAF is clean .. just like new.

I have 40 000 miles.

Regards,
dvoden

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just wanted to say I got a good chuckle out of the 4 to 10HP improvement to the "WHEELS!*", as well. I wonder what the asterisk refers to... something on the back that says, "Not actually true."

·
Premium Member
37,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea probably something like that. but im sure you can gain 4-10hp @ the wheels.

not with our car, but something like a '98 150,000 mile v8.

the thing is my car had 12k or 13k when i did it, and between recharging the k&n and doing that, i felt it idle a bit smoother and rev up with less shimmy'ing

using that spray on the maf, and throttle body cleaner on the throttle body, got rid of 2 CELs on my jaguar's 4.0 v8

1 - 20 of 50 Posts