8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:readtherules:** I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE TO YOUR CAR** ** THIS IS ALL ON YOU I WILL NOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR EXPLODING AIR BAG OR ANY ELECTRICAL DAMAGE NOR WILL 8THCIVIC.COM OR ANYBODY THIS IS ALL ON YOU**

Missing a couple Pictures and are not very detailed but its a straight foward project. Shouldnt take no more than an Hour.

TOOLS
1. Set of Socket Wrenches
2. Allen Keys
3. Steering Wheel
4. HUB
5. Quick Release

1. Start By Disconnecting your battery and leave it for 30 Minutes tops **MAKE SURE YOUR WHEELS ARE STRAIGHT AND STEERING WHEEL IS STRAIGHT** **CRUISE CONTROL BETTER BE OFF OR YOUR GOING TO HAVE THE LIGHT ON AND YOU CANT TURN IT OFF**.

2.Move your drivers seat back to have some room

3. At the bottom of the oem wheel, there is a cover. Open it and unplug the harness for the bag.

4. While you are down there unscrew the screws that hold down the steering wheel cover and remove it.

5. On both side of the wheel there are two bolts that hold down the bag to the wheel. ( Use a Set of Allen Keys on these )

6. carefully remove the airbag

photo-8 by jorge_pauker, on Flickr

7. Once the bag is off simply use your socket wrench and unbolt the wheel assembly, Its going to be a ***** to get it off but once its off :beer:

8. The most challenging thing about this is taking off the clock spring. Follow the harness ( this is a half assed diy so i dont remember clearly how many there are ) Make sure the Clock Spring is completly off or the HUB will not fit.

photo-9 by jorge_pauker, on Flickr
^ The clock spring is the thing with two nipples. Be Careful taking it off

9. Once the clock spring is off simply slide the NRG HUB and don't tighten it odee, hand tighten it. Reason is you have to align it so the quick release is straight and you dont have a crooked steering wheel.

10. Once its hand tighten and good enough, bolt up the quick release/ wheel and drive in a straight line **SLOWLY** to make sure it's straight if not stop the car take off the quick release and unscrew the hub and turn it which way so the wheel sits straight.

11. After just drive back **SLOWLY** to park and tighten up completly the hub and the quick release to the hub

photo-10 by jorge_pauker, on Flickr

12.Your pretty much done, attach the quick release and admire the work.

photo-11 by jorge_pauker, on Flickr

13.Assemble the Steering Cover and connect your battery.

photo-12 by jorge_pauker, on Flickr

Done.

photo-13 by jorge_pauker, on Flickr

photo-15 by jorge_pauker, on Flickr

photo-16 by jorge_pauker, on Flickr

Some answers to questions.

1. I Bought my Nardi on eGay for a good price

2. NRG Hub I ordered from RoBear Racing

3. Quick Release I Used v2.0 NRG in Purple/Black and Black/Black

4. You will have an airbag light on

5. No More Cruise Control nor Audio Control

6. No More Horn, Im going to eventually wire up a horn to a different place.

7. Yes I know this is stupid to disable an important safety feature but whatever this is MY car.

If anything else feel free to ask.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i messed up my clock spring taking it out, im afraid the day i want to put back the stock wheel to trade in or give my car to my brother, honda will rape me :( good DIY

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Stupid question (or not)

Is it possible to reroute the cruise control to one of the free panels next to the VSA?
Ive been planning to do this for a while, but I dont want to lose the privledges of cruise control.

If anything, its just a harness right? I can always plug it back in?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I want to do this (a couple friends with S13s and other cars have recently done it) but i want to make a custom panel on the dash for Cruise Control and a blank kill switch

Any idea how to redo the wiring on that stuff? I feel like it will be a big undertaking lol. From the sounds of it the horn is bad enough

·
Registered
277 Posts
the horn is actually easy! PM if you want the horn. got the write up from the OP! although my way is kind of different from the way the OP did it. was free and easy lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did this awhile ago and just recently wired my horn with some good ol motivtion from the police lmao if you take your panels off the coloumn at the very top behind the clock spring housing there's a clip with 1 single brown wire (pretty sure its brown) you use that as your power wire if is quick release you'll have to rig a way up to have constant contact with the contact plate on the very bottom of the hub attached to the car I'm using nrg and nrg quick release v2 with sparco silver stone wheel any questions pm me

1 - 20 of 51 Posts