8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone painted their front lip(under the grill) black, could u possibly post up at DIY?!

haha cuz im planning on doing it and i dont want to mess it up!

thanks

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
IMO, the middle of the front lip takes some heavy abuse of bug guts/rock chips and other debris. unless your going to use automotive paint, i would suggest leting a body shop paint it. a front lip that is painted with a rattle can will innevitably chip and look like crap. im not saying that it will never chip if professionaly done, but it will last longer and look better.

but a DIY would go somthign like this:
1. remove front bumper/lip
2. tape off every part of the bumper that you dont want painted. paint will get everywhere you dont want it.
3. sand the area to be painted with ~600 grit sandpaper
4. meticulusly wipe down and clean the area after the sanding
5. spray the paint
6. clear it
7. allow to completely dry before removing tape
8. reinstall

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks alot man... i thought it would be easier then that... i dont know how to take the bumper off or anything haha... so if i were to get it professionally done... how much do u think it would cost ?

·
Registered
302 Posts
It would cost lots to get it done professionally. Hundreds I'm thinking.

Taking the bumper off is no big deal. Takes 20 minutes if you're slow. Taping and papering the thing off is not a big deal, that would take about an hour if you're meticulous, which you should be.

I would spray two coats of color, and wet-sand (1000 grit) the area inbetween coats. Do the same for the clear coat. Do like 3 coats of clear if you're going for glossy. Do 3-4 coats of color if you're going for flat.

All in all you're talking about 3-4 hours of work and then dry time.

I would like to add on a question about the type of paint people have used. I mean, do you just get a couple Krylon cans and go to it? If I did it (I'm considering the area of my rear bumper where the exhaust tip is), I'd do it with Krylon primer, Ultra-Flat interior-exterior paint, and a Satin Clear coat.
I would:
Pop the bumper off
Tape off the area 3-4 inches around the area I was going to spray with painter's tape
Tape the rest of the bumper off with brown masking paper
Sand with 600 then 1000 grit
Spray 1 coat of primer
Wet sand 1000
Spray 2-3 coats of flat black wet sanding in between.
Spray 2 coats of satin clear, again wetsanding in between.

I might also use a heat gun to help it cure once I'd removed the tape.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i would do the back part ...if u get the HFP kit.. that part is already black.. so idk i think i would need help to do mine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts