8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

181 - 200 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been trying to get it to that shine but I can't seem to get there. I'm going to finish up (i believe) tonight. I'll post pictures when done!

·
Registered
40 Posts
holy moly i wasnt expecting this.

i had bought a couple scratched knobs with the intention of sanding out the scratches and polishing them up. i wasn't done with this fd2 knob, but thought i would see how it looked since the polish came in recently. looks awesome. i'm probably going to hit is some more with some finer grit and polish it again, but damn. pretty sweet. now that i know what they will look like done, i am going to finish the rest. have a s2k titanium one sittin here too among a couple others.
I ran across this post. I did 600 all the way to 2,000 and wet sand. Still not as mirrored as this. Maybe I should try the Mothers?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I polished mine, but after a month or so of shifting its hazy again. Any reason this would happen so fast? Should I use some sort of sealer on it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
^^yeah, the mothers is what seals the deal. this is your missing link if you don't have that kind of shine. i even wetsanded for a while too, so maybe try that as well.
I've used a few other polishes before but never got good results like my pictures a few posts up until I used mothers mag polish. Amazing stuff

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks to both of you! Looks like I'll be stopping by the local auto store. I was using Brasso.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My progress

Hey Folks! Thought you might like to see the start to finish.

Before touching it:

Grabbed the materials mentioned:

Sanded it with my fiance:

Some rough sanding to get the deep scratches out:

After wet sanding and a bit of Brasso:

Still not satisifed so I came back to the forums. Folks told me to go with Mothers to make it happen so i did. Could have used another few layers of sanding but I'm overall pleased with the results. (Thanks for the tips!):

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Hey Folks! Thought you might like to see the start to finish.

Before touching it:

Grabbed the materials mentioned:

Sanded it with my fiance:

Some rough sanding to get the deep scratches out:

After wet sanding and a bit of Brasso:

Still not satisifed so I came back to the forums. Folks told me to go with Mothers to make it happen so i did. Could have used another few layers of sanding but I'm overall pleased with the results. (Thanks for the tips!):

Finished product with the painted numbers looks great.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Clear coat spray paint?
Yeah that's what I used but I layered it on pretty good. Lost some of the shine but it made the numbers a bit more readable. That said, maybe someone else could recommend something. I probably messed up too because I used a Rustoleum Clear Enamel (made for outdoor stuff) because I didn't want to have to deal with it getting messed up.

Hope that helps a bit!

181 - 200 of 225 Posts