8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought my 08 si and I couldn't help but notice small scratches on my shift knob. I didn't want to fork out $60 for a Skunk2 and I also wanted to preserve the stock look. So I decided to polish the stock shift knob. Here's a DIY on how to do so.

Things you will need:

-Metal Polish (I used Mother's)
-Fine Sandpaper
-Towels (for polishing)
-Wrench (to remove the shift knob)
-Masking tape (to protect the leather from sandpaper)

Optional:

-Touch up paint (to fill in the numbers on the shift knob)
-Toothpick (to carefully fill the inside of the numbers)
-Leather restorer (to clean off the leather after the whole process)
-Clear coat (to preserve the finish)

Step 1

Remove the shift knob (you can see mine has scratches on it)

Step 2

Tape the leather with masking tape, remember to cover all of it to avoid abrasion.

Step 3

Start sanding down the old finish. Don't use to rough of a sandpaper because it will be hard to polish later on. Use something finer that will sand the finish but won't make too big of marks on the surface.

This is the most difficult process of this diy, because it will suck getting to the edges of the shift knob (where the leather meets). This took me around 35 minutes to remove the old finish near the edges and my thumbs were ready to fall off.

Remember to completely sand down the old finish on the whole shift knob and sand down any spottiness, otherwise it will not polish equally and your finish will be spotty.

Step 4

Apply the Polishing compound to a towel, preferably cloth (although I used a paper towel because I'm cheap)

Rub it in the metal, and you will notice the cloth getting black, this is a sign that the compound is working. Keep rubbing it in and repeat a few times.

Step 5

This is my favorite step. Grab a clean cloth and polish out the shift knob to reveal...

... an AMAZING LOOKING SHIFT KNOB! :cheerleader:

Optional Steps

Get a tooth pick and touch-up paint of your preference and fill in the numbers on the shift knob. This works really well in renewing the numbering and you can do it in any color!

You can also preserve the finish by adding a coat of clear on top of everything.

Lastly, I used some leather CPR to clean of the leather on the shift knob.

This is my first DIY, I hope you liked it. Thanks

-Max

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bro, I hurried through the whole process since I had to finish before I went work. But if you took your time and used touch up paint in the numbering, plus clear coat it, it would look much better.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, it hurts to spend $60 or more on a shift knob, rather spend it on something more beneficial.

·
Registered
688 Posts
absolutely brilliant idea, might just attempt this before my car show tomorrow...

:1: to you m8!

btw, what grit did you use for sanding? i think 800 should be enough, fine but will still remove material pretty well....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys =], post some pics when you do, maybe try filling in the numbering with a color other than red, that might be cool too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
btw, what grit did you use for sanding? i think 800 should be enough, fine but will still remove material pretty well....
I just went to my garage and checked, I used 600 grit, 800 should be good as well, plus it'll polish out better. You could also do a lower grit and finish it out with a higher one.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I did mine today with a Dremel tool which made quick work of a lot of the polishing.

Here's the attachments I used to sand/polish

Top finished

finished pics

If you use a dremel tool be sure to wear eye protection. That brush I was using caused bits of metal to fly. I had some deep scratches in my knob I had to sand out, no idea where they came from I don't wear jewelery on my right hand.

·
Registered
670 Posts
This makes the shift knob look amazing. I'm not a fan of chrome, but it definitely beats purchasing a new one! How much should this cost you to do?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nice job AlanMc, looks good.

This could be done under ten bucks, sand paper you only need one sheet of 600 grit, and metal polish. That would come out to under ten dollars, you can buy some touch up paint or use any that you have, plus we all have towels and tape laying around so that should be counted out. I'd stick to hand sanding it because it is finer and more controlled while sanding wheels can misshape your knob IMO. But for polishing you can definately use something powered for a nicer finish. Just remember to tape the leather not to scuff it

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nice job AlanMc, looks good.

This could be done under ten bucks, sand paper you only need one sheet of 600 grit, and metal polish. That would come out to under ten dollars, you can buy some touch up paint or use any that you have, plus we all have towels and tape laying around so that should be counted out. I'd stick to hand sanding it because it is finer and more controlled while sanding wheels can misshape your knob IMO. But for polishing you can definately use something powered for a nicer finish. Just remember to tape the leather not to scuff it
Thanks

Yeah, it's important to note that that sanding attachment I used is more like a spongey brush. It is NOT a grinding wheel. I used a grinding wheel to polish my calipers a bit, it was very abrasive. I was careful at first, I figured as long as I hadn't sanded off the scratches yet I wasn't being too abrasive. It took a bit of sanding to remove the old brushed finish and scratches, so therefore I figured it was the right attachment to use.

Now Krooliko it looks like you may have even done a better job than me by hand... which is amazing. Although photos of shiny objects tend to hide some imperfections.. I know mine isn't 100%, but yours looks 100%. Only good thing is that my hand wasn't tired when I was finished ;-)

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Nice DIY. What kind of clear coat did you use?

I use a blox sperical now, but it gets really hot under the sun, hotter than stock knob. I want something else til summer is over.

·
Registered
227 Posts
So I did mine and it didnt turn out as perfect as the picture above but its decent. The only thing that I would reccomend is that you use two layers of tape on the leather to protect it... I have also noticed that it feels much nicer in your hand and is easier to grip. I used 800 and 2000 grit sand paper and a dremel with polishing compound wich was super easy.

1 - 20 of 225 Posts