8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

301 - 314 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Got my set over the weekend did the idler pulley but stuck on alternator and crank. Going to rent tools as that's my only option now

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Crank Bolt Tightening On Method

OK. I think I read 16 pages of pieces of information.

The torque spec in the "all encompassing torque spec thread" listed 36 ft/lbs + 90 degrees turn after for the crank bolt.

I understand how to remove and torque a stock crank pulley using the Autozone Honda OEM harmonic balancer holder but ---- how do you hold your new $200 aluminum pulley to torque it?

Hold the flywheel/jam the starter? Use an air wrench and randomly apply some oomph as described in this thread? Not very scientific. Bad enough coming off, hate to screw it up going on.

Strap wrench or custom holding tool?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
im not sure either but i should be installing some in the near future.
I put my air gun to it and turned it 1/3 turn beyond torque. If I am correct, by the way the motor spins, I have no worry that the bolt will loosen from normal rotation.

I put some pics in my meandering thread http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/civic-si/487137-car-driven-daily.html since I did not see any good ones during my searches.

If I ever need to remove my pulley I will have to fab up a custom holder. If someone has removed their NST or OR crank pulley, I would like to see what they used as a holder. Fragile compared to the stock harmonic balancer.

- Matt

301 - 314 of 314 Posts