8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 792 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my Mugen short shifter a few days ago and i figured i would contribute by trying to do a DIY .This is my first attempt at this so pardon anything i missed. Bear in mind alot of these steps can also be found in the comptech or twm short shifter DIY. I might have done the steps in a different order but it all results in the finished product.

Tools needed:
12mm socket
14mm wrench
8mm socket or screwdriver
flathead screwdriver
large pliers or channel locks
6" extension
ratchet

1.Remove the shift knob losing the 14 mm locknut and unscrewing the shift knob counter clockwise.

2.remove the center console cover by pulling up on the outer edge, you can either use a plastic panel tool or you can pull lightly upwards with your hands.

3. Pull the passenger side lower panel down , it should come down quite easily and pop the side push pin with a small flat head screw driver .

4. On the driver side there is also the same pushpin , remove this also

5.Go to the rear of the center console open the compartment and remove the felt liner under the liner will be a 2 8mm screws, remove those .

6.In front of the shift assembly holding the console in place is also 4 8mm screws , but the only ones you have to remove are the outer ones.

7.Now after you perform all theses steps you have to remove the center console , to remove it lift the rear and gently pulllift up and backwards. Now only pull backwards and inch or two and stop . Look at the frotn passenger side of the console there is the ACC power supply connector . In the picture below it is circled disconnect this.

8.Now that you've removed the center console you should see this

9.Looking down at the assembly you should see 3 12 mm bolts, remove these bolts

10. Now that you've got the shift assembly loose lift up alittle so you have some room to work go to the bottom of the shift assembly and seperate the metal clip and slide it off the shifter. Proceed to the left side and do the same thing for the horizontal shifter post.

11.Now that you've got that disconnected , go to the passenger side of the shift assembly and follow the cable to a locking point . At that locking point to remove the cable as your looking down at it turn the lower portion clockwise a quarter turn then slide it out.

12. On the drivers side to remove the other cable as if looking straight down the cable turn it at the locking point counterclockwise a quarter turn and slide out.

13.Now once this is done the whole assembly can be removed and you can install the new Mugen assembly in the reverse order . Notice in the picture below that both assemblies are almost identical. One way to differentiate between the two.. in the case you mix them up ,the b marking one the factory assembly and also on the side of the assembly there are part numbers and case numbers . One has a US marking on it and the Mugen has a JPN marking.

Since I've only had it for a few days the jury is still out . I will have my review in a week or so. The throw is defnintely shorter the throw is shortened by about 30 % and it seems all the shifts are more precise.

·
Premium Member
22,779 Posts
DIY already. i love it. +rep!!
subscribed for hopeful & future use!

·
Premium Member
22,779 Posts
This would not fit for 5spd MT?
i would venture an educated guess no. this setup is for 6-speed tranmissions only. & i dont think Mugen even has an application for 5-speed anything in the current model year/generation. sorry...

·
Registered
445 Posts
From looking at the last pic, it does not seem like there is ANY difference between the two. Is the post with the blue cap longer, or is the geometry difference somewhere else?

·
Premium Member
22,779 Posts
according to my information, no one (honda dealers) will be receiving and/or ordering anymore until further notice.

they are ALREADY being held @ the Ohio warehouse for redesign. that is official word from the Honda IN Network @ an unnamed Ohio Honda dealer i was in contact with today.

however, i hope all is well for you MillCityTech... cuz you might have a one of a kind there buddy!! let us know how it fares. please!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was wondering why i couldn't order any more mugen quick shifters. I managed to order one for ezcivic type r , he should be getting it tomorrow . But now you guys got me thinkin if the redesign is gonna be better . I measured the throw on the oem FA and the throw was around 5 inches and with the mugen its 4 inches .. which isn't much. The 1st to 2nd is comprobable (4 inches) but the 2nd to 3rd feels great and the 4th to 5th. It seems that the verticle shifts still need improving. I've never owned a comptech or twm short shift adapter but i'm start to wonder. Thiking about putting that on the mugen to shorten the shift even more.... just a thought. At this point i can't even get my hands on a mugen Si shift knob due to it being on backorder lol which is probably a releif for all those mugen owners.

·
Premium Member
22,779 Posts
At this point i can't even get my hands on a mugen Si shift knob due to it being on backorder lol which is probably a releif for all those mugen owners.
yuuuuup... backorder until February @ the earliest.

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
I IM a Mugen owner n im trying to help ppl get stuff. LOL

but I cant, right now with the high demand and few dealers trying to help in getting the parts at an alright cost. Not to mention the Wait for SS due to the re design. As soon as its over I have 3 coming (ss), and one knob in Feb.

Great DIY for when i get mine, Thanks man, Rep for you!

1 - 20 of 792 Posts