8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

181 - 200 of 221 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
yes, more or less. there is a point on the PCB where the LED solderes to. and another one across from it for the resistor. then you will see the clear acrylic plastic flute to the spot where the led would solder. i shortedned it and polished it a but so i could get a 5mm led in there. but they make led's massivly brighter then that now. this was 4 years ago.

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
I Have a few spair's of these now. i can make a DIY if you guys are interested.

My brother just got another 8th. his last one didnt have one. and my car now doesnt have one.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I'm good, was wondering where to place the LED at.

I made my lighted ring about 4 years ago for my 2010 using 6 leds and some plumbing parts..... NOT tearing it back apart.

·
Super Moderator
2,013 Posts
I Have a few spair's of these now. i can make a DIY if you guys are interested.

My brother just got another 8th. his last one didnt have one. and my car now doesnt have one.
You have a few spares? I'd be interested in a DIY if it's not too much trouble. Heck, if you can make one for us, I'd pay ya. I'm a good DIY, but soldering small SMDs, well, I have little experience in.

I'm good, was wondering where to place the LED at.

I made my lighted ring about 4 years ago for my 2010 using 6 leds and some plumbing parts..... NOT tearing it back apart.
6 Leds? Wow, must be bright. Not taking it back ou? How much of a pain is it to take out, etc?

I figure this little mod can't be too much of a pain. I plan on doing to the CSX climate control install on my R18 (had those parts forever, just haven't found the time to do it).

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
6 Leds? Wow, must be bright. Not taking it back out? How much of a pain is it to take out, etc?
I tried 3 leds and no go, added 3 more (rectangle style, glued into lower column cover) Column covers are tough without breaking the clips.

Too much damn work.

Superbrightleds makes some nice various diameter, and color rings now.

Likely the route I would try to go with.

·
Super Moderator
2,013 Posts
I tried 3 leds and no go, added 3 more (rectangle style, glued into lower column cover) Column covers are tough without breaking the clips.

Too much damn work.

Superbrightleds makes some nice various diameter, and color rings now.

Likely the route I would try to go with.
Sounds like the SBL ring would be installed on the outside of the keyhole. With all due respect, I don't think it would look right. I mean, if the optics (clear translucent plastic) are they and all it requires is a LED, can't be too difficult, right? I'm a stickler for OEM looking mods.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Guess I was looking at the COB rings at diode dynamics, various diameter. They look quite compact....and not cheap.

·
Registered
415 Posts
my bad, i found a picture of it in red.

here you can see the OEM optics left inside for no good reason.
I'm getting a strong suspicion that the 7th generation Accord has the same ignition key switch/light as our Civics, except the Accord part has the light that we're missing. The Accord's light is green rather than red or blue, though I'd be perfectly fine with that.

I'm still trying to determine with a 9th gen Accord's light would also be interchangeable. I think the whole plastic cup which is black for us, is clear acrylic on the newest accords, and it lights up looking like an iris (eye).

Bummer that it doesn't look like Honda sells this part separate from the steering lock assembly, which goes for something around $200.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm still trying to determine with a 9th gen Accord's light would also be interchangeable. I think the whole plastic cup which is black for us, is clear acrylic on the newest accords, and it lights up looking like an iris (eye).
Had another look tonight - I really like how the current Accord's light looks. Have yet to figure out if this can be adapted for a Civic.

·
Super Moderator
2,013 Posts
Had another look tonight - I really like how the current Accord's light looks. Have yet to figure out if this can be adapted for a Civic.
Cool! Let us know! I'm still leaning toward wiring up a LED as per instructions on here, but if this is plug and play............... it's on!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Cool! Let us know! I'm still leaning toward wiring up a LED as per instructions on here, but if this is plug and play............... it's on!
It's not looking like a simple plug and play at the moment, but there's still a little hope. It turns out the 9th Gen civic has the same transparent plastic cup as the Accords, though I don't know whether they have a light behind them or not. Meanwhile, not just 7th , but also 8th Gen Accords have what I'm 99% sure is the same assembly as our Civic, but already populated with a green LED .

So, as far as plug and play goes, by far the easiest would be to get the part from an Accord - there's a number on eBay for under $20 - which look just like the part that portabuddy has shown us, but have a green light. You'll need to add two contacts to the green connector at the wiring harness (the two wires that President taps into in the first post of this thread; I think our US harnesses do not have these wires), and run those where you choose.

For President, it really would be just plug and play.

For the cars that came with this light, there's a pin (R11 orange wire) at one of the connectors on the backside of the MICU that's specifically for the key light. That'll be a pain to get to, and I'm not sure if it's even active on US units. We'll have to find out the hard way. I'm not sure when it's programmed to fade in or out, but presumably its independent from the dome light (K4 pink wire). The hot side of the light goes to the same pin (R10 light blue), that feeds the dome lights.

For the light itself, if you want something other than green, or if you don't want to just use the Accord unit, adding it to ours should be trivial if you're skilled at soldering SMT. The thing pops apart easily enough; there's two catches that you can free with a fingernail, and the circuit board comes out from the housing.

The resistor at the bottom is a 1210 footprint 620 Ohm resistor. The LED is on the right just below the green connector and is a 1206 footprint.

Back to the 9g Accord(/Civic?) part, it may be possible to use its transparent light pipe/diffuser by cutting out the whole face off our key light/interlock module and setting it in there. Won't know for sure until somebody tries.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Meanwhile, not just 7th , but also 8th Gen Accords have what I'm 99% sure is the same assembly as our Civic, but already populated with a green LED .

So, as far as plug and play goes, by far the easiest would be to get the part from an Accord - there's a number on eBay for under $20 - which look just like the part that portabuddy has shown us, but have a green light. You'll need to add two contacts to the green connector at the wiring harness (the two wires that President taps into in the first post of this thread; I think our US harnesses do not have these wires), and run those where you choose.
Just a little update. My 99% certainty is now 100%. I've compared the part from an Accord with that off an 08 LX Sedan, and aside from missing the the LED and resistor, they're basically identical. There's slight differences in the serrations on the light guide, and the fonts of part numbers cast into the plastic are different, but the parts interchange just fine.

On top of that, it turns out my Civic Hybrid already has the wires needed! So, for me it really can be as simple as plug and play - swap in the Accord part and that's all it takes for a green key light! Of course, now that I have spares of things, I'll be putting on a blue LED to match the rest of the interior lighting, but I'm glad to not have to dig in the back of my MICU to bring out wiring.

This may only apply to the Hybrid though. The LX I'd looked at did *not* have the two wires for this light. I suspect this is a matter of being Canadian built vs. my Hybrid being Japanese built. My guess is there weren't enough Hybrids built to warrant a unique American market wiring harness omitting the key light wires (while keeping them there for other markets), whereas Canadian built Civics were uniquely for Canada/US market where there are no lights for the wires to drive.

·
Super Moderator
2,013 Posts
Interesting find LUNS!!

I have an 07 EX Sedan (a notch less than the Hybrid, LOL), I wonder if it is PnP for mine?? Hmm. So 2008 Accord LX (does it trim level matter? EX/LX) does the trick? If you have a part number, that would be helpful. If not, I'll look it up and post here.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have an 07 EX Sedan (a notch less than the Hybrid, LOL), I wonder if it is PnP for mine??
No idea, but if you pull the steering column covers you can see if the wires are there are not. Where was your EX built? I think odds would be higher if it were Japan, but I don't know whether US market ever got Japan built cars or if it was all US/Canada/Mexico production.

So far as running the wires, I think it's perfectly acceptable to tap into the wires for the dome light. While there's a dedicated pin on the MICU for the key light, I'm fairly certain now that it's actually connected to the dome light pin in the MICU.

What tipped me off to this was dumb luck. I have the Accord homelink unit in my console and connected it to drive my map lights based on the dome light fader. With both the map and dome lights turned off (or ON, just not on DOOR), that bleed current is enough to (faintly) light up my ignition key light! Switching either light to DOOR, the lamp then shunts off the current so the key light doesn't turn on.

Adding another resistor in parallel to the LED will take care of this, though I'm curious just how much current is bleeding when things are supposed to be off. I know it's under 1mA for sure (I chose a limiting resistor that only puts about 1mA through the LED when it's lit at full brightness, and it's dimmer when it ought to be off).

Hmm. So 2008 Accord LX (does it trim level matter? EX/LX) does the trick? If you have a part number, that would be helpful. If not, I'll look it up and post here.
As far as I know, 2003-2012 Accord, any trim level should do. I know for sure that an '03 Accord LX sedan has the light. It's possible the light got deleted in later years (like the Ambient light in our Civics), and maybe coupes got a different colour (coupe stereos were red, vs. white/green for the sedans) but I'm not aware of any such differences.

There is no part number. Honda considers this light to be an integral part of the steering column lock, so their instructions for testing the light tell you to replace the whole lock if the light doesn't work. That's a >$200 part - not worth it.

Thanks for sharing!
My pleasure! It's been fun figuring this out. Thanks in turn to Portabuddy for getting me on this track.

There's still one more thing I want to try, but after that, I'll have one, maybe two extras of this light; one from an Accord, and one from the '08 Civic LX that I put a blue LED in. I'd be happy to send you either one when I'm done with them.

·
Registered
415 Posts
So far as running the wires, I think it's perfectly acceptable to tap into the wires for the dome light. While there's a dedicated pin on the MICU for the key light, I'm fairly certain now that it's actually connected to the dome light pin in the MICU.
Weird.

Wiring diagrams show R10 as the hot side for both the cabin lights and the key light, R11 (or R13 - same pin, but different numbering scheme) for the key light negative side, and K4 for the cabin lights negative.

On the 08 Civic LX I grabbed parts off of, R10 isn't connected! But there's definitely cabin lights. Best I can figure, the hot side for the cabin lights is actually pin K5 instead of R10. K5 measures as a short to R10.

I'd have expected K4 to be a short to R11/R13, but there's about 4.4 Ohms between the two. This is too big to not be deliberate. I can't figure why this resistance is there. It's too small to matter as far as where we connect the key light (which has 620 Ohms in series with this).

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have an 07 EX Sedan (a notch less than the Hybrid, LOL), I wonder if it is PnP for mine??
No idea, but if you pull the steering column covers you can see if the wires are there are not. Where was your EX built? I think odds would be higher if it were Japan, but I don't know whether US market ever got Japan built cars or if it was all US/Canada/Mexico production.
I think I did have a look at this in the '07 EX Sedan that I came across at the Pick 'N Pull last October. It was built in Japan, but sadly, if I remember correctly, it wasn't pre-wired for this light the way my Hybrid is. So it looks like you'll have to run your own wires for this, Ed.

181 - 200 of 221 Posts