8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
DON'T THROW AWAY YOUR UPPER AND LOWER STOCK BOX, I WILL SHOW YOU HOW TO MAKE A HEATSHIELD OUT OF IT.

Some basic information below before we get started

CFM = cubic feet per minute, measurement of air flow

PRICES FOR PARTS
-------------------

All Prices Below Doesn't Include Shipping & Handling Charges

Code:
Part #            Description                                 Price Paid  Retail Price
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   
17228-RZA-000     2007 CR-V Air Flow Tube                     $27.05      $38.48

17210-RRB-A00     2007 Civic Si Air Cover                     $17.81      $25.34

500-A025          Apexi Filter up to 900 cfm                              $79.95

3 Inch Filter Adapter                        $10.00

45B-300X7         Silicone 45 Degree Elbow 3" Black            $33.21

RE-0930           Universal 3" K&N Filter up to 900 cfm	       $40.00

n/a               Aluminum Bar (Home Depot or Osh)	       $5.00

3/8 BRB x 3/8 MPT Barb-MPT Adapter (Osh)     $1.29

531-B             Pin Clip .062" Dia. x1" L (Osh)	       $ .29

WEBSITES TO GET PARTS FROM
(I don't get anything from these websites)
--------------------------------------------------

hondapartsdeals.com

intakehoses.com

MEASUREMENTS
-----------------

CRV Tubing Measurements

82 mm (outlet that goes to MAF, then filter)
73 cm (outlet that goes to throttle body)

SI Tubing

85 cm (outlet that goes to MAF, then filter)
74 cm (outlet that goes to throttle body)

Silicone Tubing

3 Inches all the way through

Just by looking at the hole, the holes on the SI are bigger

TOOLS
-----------------
Rotary tool with cutting bit. Even if you don't have a Dremel, go out and buy one. You'll have a Dremel that you can use for other stuff later.

Also, learn how to make a FREE HEATSHIELD for your short ram intake using a Dremel.

REASONS WHY STOCK TUBING UNDERPERFORMS
-------------------------------------------------------

The CRV tube bottlenecks a little more then the SI tube at the end towards the throttle body

The CRV tube cannot be used with future upgrades such as the 3" (76 mm) throttle body

Stock SI and CRV tube has ripples in the tubing, so it doesn't maximize air flow

REASONS WHY APEXI FILTER MAY END UP COSTING YOU MORE
------------------------------------------------------------------

Apexi is a good filter, but in time there will be too much dirt and grime build up. Since its a dry flow filter, you use compressed air to clean it. There's only so much you can clean. It still will be dirty and grimy resulting in poor air flow.

After a year's worth of use, you will need to buy another Apexi filter in order to have good air flow.

Reasons Why My DIY Intake is Better
---------------------------------------

Smoother and maximized air flow
Bigger piping for future upgrades
Heatshield made from stock box
Filter is easy to clean (unscrew one screw and you can
take off the filter to clean,K&N)

MY ONLY COMPLAINT ABOUT THE INTAKE I MADE
------------------------------------------------------

I got the intake roar just like the aluminum SRI, just a tad bit lower in sound.
Anyone who had a SRI before knows what I'm taking about. My Evo 2 exhaust became
a bit louder also. More air that goes in, more air that comes out. This was my only complaint.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIY With Stock SI Parts + Heatshield (Free - $50)

(Can be used different brand of filters)

Use existing stock intake box

RE-0930 Universal 3" K&N Filter $40.00

Use existing filter you have now -$40.00

Aluminum Bar $ 5.00

You have a bracket to use -$ 5.00

Total $ FREE - $50

DIY using Stock Tubing and Apexi Filter

17228-RZA-000 2007 CR-V Air Flow Tube $27.05

17210-RRB-A00 2007 Civic Si Air Cover $17.81

500-A025 Universal Apexi Filter (probably cheaper
now since Corsport is helping him with his purchase) $70.00

3 Inch Filter Adapter off Ebay $10.00

Total $124.86

My DIY Intake with Different Parts

(Can be used different brand of filters, I prefer K&N)

Silicone 45 Degree Elbow 3" Gloss Black $33.21

RE-0930 Universal 3" K&N Filter $40.00

Aluminum Bar $ 5.00

3/8 BRB x 3/8 MPT Barb-MPT Adapter (x2) $ 2.58

531-B Pin Clip .062" Dia. x1" L (x2) $ .58

Total $81.37

Apexi Vs K&N Warranty

Apexi -
Apexi said:
A. Warranty Periods
One Year Limited Warranty
• exhaust systems and related components
• suspension and related components
• radiators and intercoolers
• intake/induction systems, blowoff valves, and related components
K&N -
K&N said:
8. Will using a K&N direct replacement filter void my factory warranty?

It is against federal law in the United States for a manufacturer to require the use of a
specific brand of air or oil filter unless it provides a replacement air or oil filter,
free of charge, under the terms of the vehicle warranty. For a more thorough discussion
of this law known as the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, see our Vehicle Warranty Section of
our Air Filter Facts page, and our Letter Regarding Vehicle Warranty and K&N Replacement
Filters.

9. Will installing a K&N performance intake system void my factory warranty?

Most K&N air intake systems are warranted for 1,000,000 miles which exceeds the warranty
offered on the original factory intake system.

The installation of an air intake system should not void your factory warranty. It is
never a bad idea to contact your local dealership and ask them before purchasing the
new K&N system whether they will object. If they tell you an air intake system will
void your vehicle warranty, please contact us and we will speak with the dealership
directly to clear up the misunderstanding. Another idea would be to contact a different
dealer who may have a different policy since many dealership actually sell K&N intake
systems.

As an additional level of comfort, we also offer our Consumer Protection Pledge. It takes
customer service to an even higher level by giving you confidence that when you buy K&N you
get on-going support from a team of professionals who will talk directly to dealerships to
resolve any questions that may come up.

A few pictures below, then onto the videos on how to make your own intake!!!!!!!!!!!! Have fun!!!!!
(I was tired when I made these videos at 2am, at some parts, I couldn't find the right words to use, :xyxnervou lol)

:police: WARNING : WEAR PROTECTIVE EYEWEAR OR LIL BITS MAY FLY INTO YOUR EYE! :police:

Any questions, please feel free to email me at : [email protected]

(Please don't private message me on this board, they only allow 20 messages,
I need my box clear for upcoming meet messages
)

All you need to do :

This is the tubing my intake uses :

Intake with SI tube :

Intake with 3" silicone tube :

Videos :

Stock Box

Tube Comparison

Making Intake Part 1

Making Intake Part 2

Making Intake Part 3

Making Intake Part 4

Making Intake Part 5

Making Intake Part 6

Making Intake Part 8

Making Intake Part 8

My Intake Part 1

My Intake Part 2

My Intake Part 3

My Intake Part 4

My Intake Part 5

My Intake Part 6

Making Heatshield Part 1

Making Heatshield Part 2

·
Registered
522 Posts
very nice.. X is gonna bleed in his panties when he reads this. i just like new ideas comming to the table. im working on making a cold air extension using silicon tubing from the stock box with its guts removed... i think using your silicone bend from the throttle body would be another good change as well.

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
Very nice DIY man! I haven't had a chance to look at the vids yet...I will later...

Looks like I have some ordering to do! I wish I could rep you again right now, but I must spread around...

·
Registered
279 Posts
What if you modify the MAF housing, add the K&N filter and keep the Stock tubing instead of using the silicone one. Do the ridges in the stock tube really affect the intake of air that much???

NICE DIY BTW. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
i think what he meant by the ridges of the stock tube is it would most likely be causing turbulance. don't know if it will affect power THAT much but i could be wrong. im guessing its up to you which you prefere.

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
Great DIY but there is alot more to it than that. You have to make sure the angle is correct and the angles have to be absolutely identical and uniform accross and in. and where the angles stop in the housing has to be a sharp transition back to flat vane. It can't be a gradual transition. If the anlges aren't exactly the same on both sides you will get turbulence in the tube and accross the MAF sensor. Your car will have flat spots in the RPM range. Oh yea, did I say the angles have to be Identical? I can't emphasize how important that is for proper performance. I have been R&Ding my own for 2 months. When I first did this my angles were ever so slightly off and I had a fllat spot between 4000 and 5000 RPM's that was horrible. I found a good way to see the angles better and my car came alive. It twists the wheel shifting into 3rd. It never even came close to that before. And make sure you don't have too steep of an angle or you won't make real good power. But if you don't have enough angle your AFR's will be too lean. So be careful. But like I said great DIY for the basic idea on how to get there. Just be sure that you really take my advice on this. I've been through all the bad stuff and learned the hard way. It took me 5 air box covers to get it truly perfect.

Oh yea, did I say I love the fact that you did this. I couldn't justify spending 300 on this either. Props dude.

·
Registered
09 TW FA5 - 06 FG2 (RIP)
1,823 Posts
What if you modify the MAF housing, add the K&N filter and keep the Stock tubing instead of using the silicone one. Do the ridges in the stock tube really affect the intake of air that much???

NICE DIY BTW. :thumb:
Same thing I was thinking! I already did the Poor man type r intake setup I just need to mod the MAF:thumb:

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
i think what he meant by the ridges of the stock tube is it would most likely be causing turbulance. don't know if it will affect power THAT much but i could be wrong. im guessing its up to you which you prefere.
The ridges really don't cause enough turbulence to matter. If they did Honda wouldn't use this tube. An improperly angled MAF housing will cause more turbulence than the tube ever will. And this will seriously hamper performance.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.