8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I recently purchased my first car. Yes the SI is my very first car, EVER. So what to do with a new car? definitely need to get rid of those stock lights. So first to go this time around will be the headlights. I bought these lights from autocityimports 2006+ Honda Civic (2dr) Halo Projector Headlights (G1 Black) these are the G1's according to the site and they have G2 and G3 with slight style differences. G2's have an led line above the lights and the G3's look like angel eyes. I thought G1's looked simpler and sleeker.

Anyways, before anyone says anything yes there are scratches all over the place. Namely from my retardedness. But that is why we post here so others don't run into the same mistakes. So to start make sure u have several hours to spare depending on how fast you work and how comfortable you are working on cars. It took me 4 hours but that is because I never owned a car nor have I ever been under the hood of a car.

Here is what I started working with:

I will concentrate on the left side to minimize the number of pictures and because you do the exact same thing for the right side. Left side being driver side and right being passenger side.

Pop the hood and you'll see a black plastic cover above the radiator. Remove the 4 push pins holding them in place. Use a small tip flat head screwdriver to do this without damaging the pins too much.

Removing the front bumper took me a while and I forgot to take pictures. But there are 2 screws you need to remove above the radiator holding the front bumper, above the license plate. Then there are 2 more screws in the wheel well. On the driver side it is at 10 o clock and passenger side it is at 2 o clock. Now under the front bumber there are 2 rows of push pins. You'll need to remove the inner row of push pins. There will be 8 push pins. Then at the end of that inner row you will see 2, 1 on each side, more screws. These are at the very edge of the bumper where you see a corner made by 2 lips that drop down. After this gently pull from the wheel wells where the screw was and pull apart. Make sure to pull evenly and not pull 1 side all the way out. Now if you are working on an SI or had fog lights installed only pull the front bumper out about a foot. You will need to unclip the fog lights. This is simple just don't forget they are connected. If the bumper doesn't come off easily don't beast it and yank it off. Gently pull and it doesn't come off see if you forgot to remove a push pin or a screw somewhere. I will get some pictures of this when I get back to the shop. This pic shows the fog light connections and the 2 screws that need to be removed above the license plate.

Ok now for the lights. This is fairly simple once you know where to look. There are 5 silver colored screws that need to come off to remove the lights. The lights are on a support bracket that bolts to the frame. Undo the screws, remove the bracket and wiggle the lights out gently.

These are the lights I will install. The 3 led lights on each side either came out of their sockets during shipment or they came this way but I had to put them in. And it wasn't easy. The led lights did not line up just right and I had to bent the leds which were slightly raised on its contacts. I was able to bend these lights by applying pressure at an angle down and to a side. This is slightly difficult to explain but if you put your hand in front of you and close your fingers not in a fist but straight. You will see you have a wide side and a skinny side. I bent the pins by pushing on the wide side. If you push on the skinny side you will NOT be able to bend them and will most likely break off the led.

Next step is to decide what you want on and at what times. You have several choices here.

1. have the halos and amber lights on when you turn on your day time running lights (DTRL) or parking lights, whatever u want to call them. This is the first stop on the light switch.

2. Have just the leds on with the DTRL

3. Have both the leds and halos on with the DTRL

4. Lol or neither on.

I went with option 1 because having the leds on aswell seemed to me to be outshining the halos.

Ok this is the hardest part of the install because of the chance of cutting essential wires. You need the proper tools for this part otherwise just dont attempt. You will need to remove the electrical tape and strip some cables. Get a decent pair of wire strippers.

You don't need to strip too much about half an inch should do.

OK so WHAT WIRES DO I STRIP. It depends on what you want to do. With option 1 where you have just the halos on with the DTRL then you will need to strip the parking lights. This cable is what you plug into your turn signal or amber light. it will be the only one with 3 cables. On the 09 SI this was the red wire on the driver side and brown on the passenger side. BUT test test and retest your wires. Get a multimeter and test the cable before you start stripping. To do this set the multimeter to read DC this is a V with a line and dashed lines under it. The V with a squiggle under it is alternating current which comes out of your home wall socket. Now usually it is common practice to make the black cable the ground so that is what I assumed when testing. make sure your multimeter black lead is in the ground port and the red wire to the hot port on the multimeter. Now insert the black tip from the multimeter into the connector that the black wire goes into. Remember you are doing this on the cable that plugs into the amber light and has 3 cables. Now insert the red tip into the connector that the red wire goes to. DO NOT JAM THE TIP INTO THE CONNECTOR. It only needs to touch. If it doesnt fit right get a paper clip and attach it to the end of the leads on the multimeter and insert that. this is safe as long as you dont touch the 2 tip while they are in the plug. Now turn the key in the car to the 1 position and turn the lights on to the first stop ie the DTRL. Now go to the multimeter and see what it reads. If it is +12V plus or minus a small amount it is good and u can use the red for the halos. If it is -12V then you either put the black multimeter lead in the red wire, you switched what lead went to the ground in the multimeter or your cables are switched in the plug. Read above to see what cable goes where. If you are certain your cables are right and nothing is switched on the multimeter then use whatever cable you put in the red lead as your power for the halos. Now turn off the lights and begin to strip. hahaha stop don't strip. strip the wires. The blue wire you see here is the blinker and will make the amber light blink. unless you want your halos to blink then dont connect it to the blue one.

After you strip your red and ground wires connect your halo lights. These will be a wire without a connector. Follow your halos and see where they lead. On my lights it was a copper wire and the silver colored wires were the led lights. Make sure you strip at least a half inch of the wires so you have a couple turns to wrap around the wires.

ELECTRICAL tape. Make sure you get some so you can tape the lights. I layered my wires in tape by taping the first contact between the 2 wires with about an inch or two of tape like this:

Then I taped the wires with a longer piece of tape and put them in a shieth and taped that. It snows a lot where I am so i didn't want to take any risks of having exposed wires.

I wanted to have the led lights on when I turn the low beams on so i stripped the low beam lights and attached them to that. Those only have 2 wires so i put black on black and white on white on pink. The BLUE CONNECTOR IS THE HIGH BEAM. I made this mistake. Don't make it yourself. The white connector is the low beam. This is why you ALWAYS TEST THE WIRES. Make sure it turns on the way you want it to like this:

If you want a different configuration just follow the above steps but for the config u want. If u need any help send me a message and ill get back to you. Now just put the light back in. To do this DON'T put the backet on the light before it is mounted. Put the bracket in the place it goes and dont put any bolts in yet. Now slide the light in gently and make sure no cables are in the way. The reason for the loose bracket is so u can slide the light in and move the bracket around for more room. Now place the bracket in place and tighten the screws.

Now do the passenger side. Exact same process so just follow above steps for the passenger side. Then put the front bumper back on and put all push pins and screws where they go. Don't forget the wheel well. Also don't forget to plug your fog lights before you put the bumper all the way on.

DTRL

I didn't have any time left at the shop because I took so long but I did NOT adjust the lights. But they came out so close i didn't bother that day. I will do this some other day. But if you want to before you tighten everything and put the bumper on there are some screws by the lights that you can adjust. Actually now that I think of it you will want to compare your stock lights and shine them on a wall and make a mark of some sort so you can compare that to your new halo lights. As you can see here they are close but probably a little high. If you have any thoughts about how high they are let me know. I don't want to blind people as i am driving.

Here are the high beams. It is easier to tell that the driver side is higher than the passenger side here.

Low beams with fog lights

This concludes this DIY. If i missed anything please post so i can update it. If you have a better way of doing something also post so others can do it faster or safer. I know you can use cable clamps to connect 2 wires together but I couldn't find any where I am at.

If you want me to clarify anything just ask unless it really is a stupid question like, which side is the driver side hahaha.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I should be getting my tail lights sometime next week. Just got notice they got shipped. I will post an update when I get the tail lights in. It should be simpler than the headlights but we'll see.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tail lights are finally in!!!

OK it's been a while but i finally got around to installing the tail lights. I didn't have my camera most of the time when i was installing them but i managed to get some pix but i would have liked to have taken more. The install was basically the same as the headlights and some wire splicing is definitely needed. I decided to completely remove the bumper so it would be easier.

This is the light already installed:

Here are some night time pix

I never did like the stock lights because all that red stands out too much for me. These lights look cool when they're on and they don't stand out too much when they are off. I would have liked a darker black but i like these.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
actually yes. that was the next step just wanted to see these lights in action and when i get tired of em i will light up the street. ha

·
Banned
15 Posts
instead of the signal lights yellow you think i would get pulle dover if i hadem white? because on my old 01 civic i hadem white but not as white as my h.i.d.s?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
instead of the signal lights yellow you think i would get pulle dover if i hadem white? because on my old 01 civic i hadem white but not as white as my h.i.d.s?

You NEED amber lights up front for the turn signal. You can replace the lens and backing on your lights to clear lenses but the bulb itself must be amber. that might provide the effect you want to white out the lights.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how much did this cost you when it was all said and done? Looks sweet man :thumb:
for the front and rear lights together it was ~$480 plus free labor cuz i did it and renting out the shop i have a shop here that lets me use the tools for only $2/hour so a couple hours of me working out of the weather is so much better than having someone else do it for $30 + an hour.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you run hid, gotta be careful. I heard from somewhere that they could melt the reflector part of the projector.
I also heard that and seen it. not a good day if it happens. But i will definitely take that into account. I would get the hids only if i need the extra light and not just to have them. The way I see it, if it works well then there is no need to change it, unless of course the car doesn't have a turbo in which case you get one. ( I don't have a turbo. Yet. )

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, autocity imports had excellent service. I think for most people they don't talk about where they bought the stuff from because they got what they expected. They order something online and several days later they get the item. Simple, no problems. That's what i got from autocity.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
instead of the signal lights yellow you think i would get pulled over if i had em white? because on my old 01 civic i had em white but not as white as my h.i.d.s?
Depends where you live.
Here, turn signals can be amber or white, so you'd be fine.
Some places though you have to have them amber.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts