8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You need allot of patience to do this repair. You'll also need to contact buddy club to get a replacement knob. If you don't have the right tool it'll be difficult. You need a wrench size 5/16. You do need to modify this wrench because the nut that you have to turn is a little bigger than the tool. Not a hard mod.. all you need is a grinder..

Parts:

-replacement knob $10 from BC i believe
-5/16 modified tool
-allen key provided with the coilovers

Here are some pics...
Important that you are gentle when removing the knob.. because there is another allen key hole inside of the shaft. Turn lefty loosey to get the knob off... slow is best. Once knob is off... you must use the allen key to lower the nut inside the shaft enough so that the new knob is barely touching the inside allen hole. (do so by turing inside the shaft allen hole with the allen key righty tighty... after about 2-3 full turns... place the new knob above the hole and using the 5/16 tool put the new knob on. Do not over tighten the new knob or that can brake it.

Disclaimer: Myself or Buddy Club aren't responsible for messing up you Coilovers

(notice the side that was grinned

(new Knob)

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Out with the old knob

Ajusting the allen hole in the shaft to allow the new knob to sit right.

New Knob Back on!

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
i can post pics of a broken knob if anyone needs. theres a tiny spring in the underside of it you cant see here that falls out when you snap it off and it freaks you the fk out lol. good to know that this is such an easy fix though!!

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
really? lol! yeah It just didn't look broke'd.
The Broken knob doesn't look that much different from the new one... However the broken one is going to turn without stopping.. Mine broke when I received the coils back in Shipping. the broke one seem alittle longer than the new one. the fist pic of the knob is the new one and the 2nd pic is actually the broke one.
will this work on the front damper as well?
The fronts are a different story I haven't tackled that as yet... Mine a perfect I sent them in and that was corrected by BC.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
Well thanks for making this thread will! I'm sure some on here have broken their damper knobs and can use this thread for a fix.

I hope I don't go through this.

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I forwarded the question about the Fronts to my buddy :giggle: at Buddy Club and he stated that the fronts are done the same way... Just make sure the uninstall and re-installation are done extremely slow. Whenever I get around to it I'll take my front off and replace them with pics. but since it isn't broke no need to fix it right now...

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well thanks for making this thread will! I'm sure some on here have broken their damper knobs and can use this thread for a fix.

I hope I don't go through this.
Bro it's common mostly with the fronts... mine messed up during shipping.. and i needed them fixed so the dude at BC showed me how... since it was easy I decided to Bless 8th civic with the knowledge...

I hope this makes people feel a lot more positive about the BC product..

I know some people are having oil leaking etc... make sure you're on the right pre-load... the lowest you'll want these are at the 3" drop... any lower and that's on you.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks for the pics...really informative. In figure 8, you show an adjustment with the allen wrench. Please explain this in more detail.

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the pics...really informative. In figure 8, you show an adjustment with the allen wrench. Please explain this in more detail.

-Once knob removed there is a hole exposed.
-Inside that hole is another allen key hole.
-You must lower this hole by turing it right to lower it.
- You want to make sure that when you put the new knob in. it's not sitting too high causing you to push it down. ( you want there to be alittle room between the ajusting knob and the knob inside the shaft, so that when you screw in the knob you don't squeeze the one inside the shift)

make sure you do everything slow..

·
Registered
412 Posts

-Once knob removed there is a hole exposed.
-Inside that hole is another allen key hole.
-You must lower this hole by turing it right to lower it.
- You want to make sure that when you put the new knob in. it's not sitting too high causing you to push it down. ( you want there to be alittle room between the ajusting knob and the knob inside the shaft, so that when you screw in the knob you don't squeeze the one inside the shift)

make sure you do everything slow..
So I suppose the hex end of the new knob fits inside the hex socket in the shaft?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts