8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

DIY: How to Clean the Armrests

29K views 77 replies 64 participants last post by  glujan2001 
#1 ·
Since I've joined the site, I've seen quite a few threads about how to clean the armrests so I figured I would post a DIY. I'm a detailer at the Honda dealership in Evansville and I have detailed quite a few civics over the last two years. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

Here is what you'll need:

-All-purpose cleaner or interior cleaner. Scrubbing Bubbles works, as well.
-Interior detail brush
-Old rags

Here is a picture of the armrest before I started

Soaked it with the Interior cleaner

Now scrub the armrest with the brush. This will loosen up the dirt and will un-mat the alcantra/suede in the Si models.
Next, scrub the armrest with the old rag. This is what the rag looked like after I was done.

Let it air dry and enjoy your clean armrest.

This procedure can be used on any model of civic. It will work on the center console armrest and any other cloth interior piece as well. Hopefully this helps everyone out!

See less See more
#19 ·
Good info OP. This doesn't prematurely "wear" the armrests or anything does it? I know some were complaining of the center console armrest wearing quickly on the 06-08 models.

I do this as well. Has been working well for me. I actually always have my left hand on the wheel so I NEVER use the left armrest. Center one, yes, I use it.

#11 ·
I'm glad this helps and that I could contribute to the site.

@mister ross- that's what I would do if the armrest wasn't dirty. It's a good way to keep the material from matting up permanently or wearing out. This is just a DIY on how to thoroughly clean the armrest.

#28 ·
oh and for what it's worth, I still have a ton of my "sample" size of M105. Don't let the word "sample" fool you... it's a "consumer-sized" quantity of a bulk "professional-sized" product... It's not really just a "sample" in the sense of what you and I consider a sample.

#29 ·
That site looks good.. But I'm more of a pick it up/do-work the same day kinda person haha. I figured I'd just buy the big version now and save it and clean the seats occasionally. Now my problem is that I cant even find this locally haha. Anyone know any stores where they sell it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.