8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got sick of my aux cord getting in the way, so I decided to do something about it. This also allows me to hide the cable completely when I'm parked outside. The cable may lead possible thieves to think that my mp3 player is still in my car.

So here goes my first DIY!

(and yes I know my car looks very dirty, but it's just the stuff out of the pockets and armrest)

Step one: remove center console cover. (five clips)

step 2: remove rubber mat in armrest and remove two bolts

step 3: remove 2 more bolts pictured here:

step 4: remove clips from driver's and passenger's footwells. In order to get to the passenger one, you must remove the passenger's dashboard undercover

Step 5: unplug vehicle connector

step 6: the whole center console comes out as one. It is clipped in with 2 clips. You must pull pretty hard to unclip them. Pull straight back as well.

step 7: run your AUX cord from head unit behind the center lower dash and leave it there for now.

step 8: drill a 1/2 inch hole next to the 12v source.

and this is where my camera's battery died, heh.

step 9: run AUX cord through drilled hole. In order to prevent the cord from falling below the center console, I glued a small piece of wood after I fed the cord through.

step 10: make sure the AUX cord is not stuck anywhere or getting in the way of anything

step 11: reassemble!

I used this thread as a reference:

2006+ Honda Civic Interior Tear Down Guide - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

Now my interior is not cluttered with my AUX cord, and no one will even know I have an mp3 player!

woot!

only four hours late, but here are some finished pictures...

all clean, no wires!

with the mp3 player and AUX cable out

another shot of that

inside of the armrest (filled with stuff, that's a project for next week...)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
i was thinking of doing this, its such a simple and easy mod, plus my cord is like 6 ft long because thats all walmart had at the time :pat:

can we get an after pic?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
m1k3 said:
i was thinking of doing this, its such a simple and easy mod, plus my cord is like 6 ft long because thats all walmart had at the time :pat:

can we get an after pic?

definately, I just need to get some new batteries. I'm going to walmart soon, I should have some pictures up by 4.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and I just noticed how incredibly filthy the floors are. I hate winter so much. And I also hate that my little sisters make no attempt to clean the crap off their shoes before they get into my car.

oh well, come summer I'll detail the hell out of it :sadwavy:

·
Registered
117 Posts
i know this is old, but to the OP, what did you do to get the actual aux plug underneath the console? i used this diy and it was amazingly helpful, but when it came to pulling the aux jack out from where it sits normally, i wanted to kick a small child.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ScottPrindle said:
i know this is old, but to the OP, what did you do to get the actual aux plug underneath the console? i used this diy and it was amazingly helpful, but when it came to pulling the aux jack out from where it sits normally, i wanted to kick a small child.

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I used the AUX input on the back of my head unit, not the stock one.

If you are using the stock one, you could plug it into the that AUX input, then run it back and up through the console pocket next to the input. That may work.

If I misunderstood your question I apologize, and you can either post another reply of PM me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
yeah you understood, you have stock stereo and all? i basically took the aux plug, popped it out from under the power on the dash, and plugged it into an aux cable to run it to the console. im sure i went through more trouble than i had to... but i came to a roadblock and had to forge my own trail:thumb:

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ScottPrindle said:
yeah you understood, you have stock stereo and all? i basically took the aux plug, popped it out from under the power on the dash, and plugged it into an aux cable to run it to the console. im sure i went through more trouble than i had to... but i came to a roadblock and had to forge my own trail:thumb:

When I did the DIY I had a Pioneer DEH-7800, so the AUX input was in the back of the head unit. I now have an AVIC-D3 with iPod connection

Glad to hear you got through it all ok, heh :wavey:

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
good input.... :shady:

it was winter as well. it's all shampooed and cleaned now. And weathertech mats are in.

not like that matters. this was a thread about hiding an AUX cable, not about some dirt on my carpet.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, definitely a little cleaner looking, haha

I don't even have that head unit, mp3 player, or cable anymore. Now I have an AVIC D3 with an iPod and the iPod cable. now that is a lot cleaner :thumb:

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
do you know of any way how to run the aux wire from the an aftermarket head unit (its in the back) and connect it to the stock one that comes with the car???

1 - 20 of 95 Posts