8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am going to make this rather brief, being that I have no idea if anyone actually has any interest in performing this specific modification to their car. (Also this is the first DIY I've ever posted so any questions/comments/feedback would be appreciated)

Final Effect: Footwell lights fade in and out with dome light and also turn on/stay on when headlights are on (with no flashing when switching), additionally I will show how to wire with an option for lights to pulse with your subwoofer (if you have one installed).

Supplies (Required):

Electromagnetic Relay - I used this: 5A DC 12V Coil DPDT 8 Pin PCB Electromagnetic Relay HH52PA - Electrical Outlet Switches - Amazon.com
Generic Diode - Like this: 1N5400 Motorola IN5400 Diode Gen Purpose 50V 3A DO201AD | eBay
Basic Speaker Wire (or similar)
Electrical Tape
LED Lights - I used this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B5OB7O8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Supplies (Technically Optional):

3-position Switch - Like this:

(or just a standard on/off toggle switch if you decide to go without the subwoofer option)
Soldering Iron & Solder
Twist on Wire Connectors

Alright now I'm basically going to fly through this and assume that you can figure out how to do the parts that I don't explain on other DIY posts since there are many, but like I said if you have any questions I will be glad to explain.

The reason why the wiring may seem to be more complicated than it needs to be is because in the 8th Civic, the headlights are switched on and off via the positive and negative is constant, while the automatic dome light is switched on and off via the negative and the positive is constant. (There is a slightly simpler way to do this with just the relay that I won't be demonstrating because with that method the lights would cut out momentarily whenever switching from the dome light power to headlight power or vice versa.)

Here is my rudimentary diagram that I drew showing exactly how I wired everything:

For the Dome Light Power - I found this video to be quite helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1G9p9C4Rhk

As well as this page: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/lighting-h-i-d-s-neon/442170-footwell-lighting-help.html

For the Headlight Power - This was a little tricky. I tapped the driver side tail light socket (side marker) by disconnecting the socket and pushing a wire into the positive and negative terminals, reconnecting the socket and then running the wire through the trunk, underneath the back seats, ran it along the side and tucked it under the plastic trim up to the front where the switch for the lights will be.

Here is a video on how to get to the tail light bulb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAfZiXfCvQM

For the Subwoofer - This one you may likely skip over and just use a standard on off switch or no switch at all, but all I did was connect a wire to the positive terminal on my subwoofer and run it up to the front with the wires from the taillight.

Again, please comment for any further explanation! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very interesting project...

...found your post while surfing the web after LED footwell lighting and your post seems to be exactly what I want to do.
I do not have a Honda Civic but your post can help me a lot. I do have a Daihatsu Terios and would like to the exactly the same thing you did: have the LED on with the dome lights and later with the headlights (the dimming idea is awesome too)...
I know it has been 3 years after you posted here but let's see.
Would you mind giving me some tips on how to do it...? I know your post is almost self-explanatory but for someone not so good with hands a bit more of talking would be very useful...
Hope you read this...
Cheers,
Marcelo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is an easier way to do this.

1. install lights
2. grab power from fuse box (using add-a-a fuse) or any other constant 12+
3. grab one ground for dome light from pink wire under fuse box
4. grab a ground for parking lights from gray wire on steering column

done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm truly interested in this DIY and wish I could see the actual diagrams (all links and pictures broken) to do this because I'm a little lost without visual aid.

There is an easier way to do this.

1. install lights
2. grab power from fuse box (using add-a-a fuse) or any other constant 12+
3. grab one ground for dome light from pink wire under fuse box
4. grab a ground for parking lights from gray wire on steering column

done.
Does this actually work though? I'm trying to wrap my head around this.
constant 12+ to + on LED
pink(dome ground)&gray(parking light ground) to - on LED
??

anybody with a diagram of how to make this work would be a LEGEND

1 - 5 of 5 Posts