8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
thanks man. gone for now, well see. spray can with straw is a little easier, depress the clutch a bit and get that straw in there, go to town. i also gave all the springs on the assy a squirt to.

·
Registered
10,260 Posts
As I'm sure you've read, lubricating through the firewall is a temporary fix (Albeit a cheap and easy one). I've had mine replaced 2x now and I'm doing OK but I'm sure it's a matter of time before it starts squeaking/clicking/creaking again. I've heard that the EM1 Clutch Master Cylinder is better, bolts up to our Civics, and does not exhibit the problem. I'm now out of warranty and if/when it starts happening to me again, assuming I have to pay out of pocket, I'm going to have them use the EM1 CMC. Chances are (because I'm frugal as f***), I'll just keep greasing like everyone else does.

Do report back and let us know how long it lasts for you. I'd also wonder what kind of grease people are using. Some petroleum-based lubricants can eat at plastic parts (the innards of the CMC) and may cause it to fail over time. On the flipside, it would seem a REALLY HEAVY grease is needed in there... Honda tried lubing mine up. And it was silent for a day but returned more furious than before (and then they swapped the part).

I hope with their upcoming turbo platforms they continue to offer manual transmissions and I hope they produce a better clutch master cylinder.

·
Registered
745 Posts
As I'm sure you've read, lubricating through the firewall is a temporary fix (Albeit a cheap and easy one). I've had mine replaced 2x now and I'm doing OK but I'm sure it's a matter of time before it starts squeaking/clicking/creaking again. I've heard that the EM1 Clutch Master Cylinder is better, bolts up to our Civics, and does not exhibit the problem. I'm now out of warranty and if/when it starts happening to me again, assuming I have to pay out of pocket, I'm going to have them use the EM1 CMC. Chances are (because I'm frugal as f***), I'll just keep greasing like everyone else does.

I have the EM1 CMC now. It was quiet for a while, but then the squeaking/clicking came back just as bad if not worse than my stock one ever was lol. I have to grease it like every three weeks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
White lithium grease in a spray can has worked for me for years now. I do 5-10 sprays with lots of pumps in between, and that usually lasts me ~2 months.

It's annoying to have to do this at all, but it doesn't seem like there is a permanent fix available (citing others having the same problem with the EM1).

·
Registered
10,260 Posts
Damn. I really thought the Em1 would be better. OK, anyone try the Omni CMC? I heard you can get them directly from Omni or from Clubrsx....

·
Registered
745 Posts
Damn. I really thought the Em1 would be better. OK, anyone try the Omni CMC? I heard you can get them directly from Omni or from Clubrsx....

Well, it is at first. Lol. But then after a while it was the same thing as the stock one. I didn't have to start greasing it until months after I put it in.
I'd think if you get the EM1 CMC and just grease it regularly, you won't have any problems.

·
Registered
10,260 Posts
Well, it is at first. Lol. But then after a while it was the same thing as the stock one. I didn't have to start greasing it until months after I put it in.
I'd think if you get the EM1 CMC and just grease it regularly, you won't have any problems.
well hell, that's just like the OEM. I didn't have problems with my OEM 8th civic one for YEARS until one day...

then the 2nd one only lasted about a year or so before it started acting up.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
I also switched from the stock CMC to the EM1 and it was quiet for a while but it does come back. Same procedure as I wrote in the OP i use and it quiets it down again... It just seems to be a bad design from honda lol. Might have to remove the CMC and clean it out since some of the older stuff has dried and mght be making it a little less effective.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks jonofmac!!! My 2004 Element just started to make this clutch sound. I went to my local auto store, but they didn't carry the permatex grease. So I got the CRC white lithium grease spray with the red straw instead. Stuck it right into the hole and sprayed it twice. Follow the exact instructions on where to spray, and the sound is gone right away! I haven't driven the car yet after the spray. Will find out tomorrow on the way to work.

161 - 180 of 186 Posts