8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was going to post this in the DIY section, but I found out I don't have permission (I guess a Mod has to move it?)

Ok!

Symptoms: Squeaky clutch when pressing or releasing, seems to be louder in cold/humid weather. Also makes the clutch feel a little bit "sticky", it's not as smooth as it used to be.

Problem: Cylinder that the clutch connects to dries up over time.

People have reported that WD-40 works for a day or so, but WD-40 dries out and becomes ineffective. That's why we're going to use something better.

Lithium Grease!

It's Automotive Application lithium grease (high pressure and high temperature) that I got from AutoZone for when I rebuilt the starter on my 94' Volvo 850.

1) We need to get to the cylinder. Look above your clutch, at the pedal assembly. Look for where the clutch connects to a cylinder in the firewall.

2) There is a small little hole that you need to squirt some lithium grease into. Do that and pump the clutch about 20 times. Then put some more inside the hole and pump some more. If you're ambitious, put a bit more and pump again. Be careful when pumping, it may squirt some lithium grease out of the hole and possibly onto your carpets!

To get to the hole, it's a bit easier if you press in on the clutch just a little bit so that there's room to squirt it into. Here's a pic of it pushed in a bit and circled so there's no confusion about where to squirt.

Also, I took a piece of paper towel and "plugged" the hole up so that the grease would be forced to move around while I pumped the clutch. I then just took the paper towel plugger off and it's all good.

Simple enough!

As i write this, I'm sitting at a week of no squeaks and a butter smooth clutch when the clutch used to squeak like a MFer. This has completely fixed that squeak for me.

Any other suggestions/ideas are welcome :)

EDIT: Added better pictures and I figured I should point out that this is probably not a permanent fix, but so far i've been going on a month and all is well. Beats the hell out of using WD 40 :p
Edit2: Over 2 months and the squeak hasn't returned :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Nice DIY.

Although I can't really see any negative or harmful effects, I'm curious as to if it's completely safe to put grease inside of the cylinder. I'm sure that's what that small hole is probably for, but I'm really hesitant when it comes to things like this that I'm not completely familiar with. haha

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
well. When i took it into Honda for this squeak. They told me this is where they lubed, although i doubt that because my squeak wasn't fixed. So I lubed what they told me they did and so far I'm squeak free. My service advisor asked about it too and I told him that I used lithium grease and lubed that spot, he was like "yeah that's what we'd do here."

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when you look at where the metal connecting rod from the clutch goes into the firewall, you'll see a tiny square hole on the face of the cylinder. If you still can't find it, i'll take another picture.

Today should be a good test to see if this is still working, because it's pouring down rain, and that's generally when it was worst. So far it's been 2 weeks without the noise returning :)

Clutch still smooth as butter.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
cool im gonna have to do this to mine as its been squeaking for some time when i push down on the clutch pedal and release its quite annoying. Im very keyed into my car and I hate any type of squeeks,creeks,rattles of any sort.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
nice diy simple EZ and effective, I like. however I dont need it just yet or hopefully never would need it.. but good for the future. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I just read this again.. but u think u can circle the holes u need to squirt the oil at? with photoshop or paint just to make sure what holes they are?

·
Registered
328 Posts
mine just starting making a noise not really a speak but more of a click typ noise only when i get close to where the clutch is all the way in i think this is a similar problem... you think i should do it as well???

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had this done twice to my 08 Civic, also had the CMC replaced twice. None of those worked for more than a month and a half...The dealer finally got sick of me bringing my car in for the same problem and they're trying to figure out a permanent solution.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol, Ok, well, I'm announcing that my squeak seems like it *may* be starting to come back. It's been rainy and cold for the past week straight and i thought i heard a squeak, but I'm not positive. Anyway, yeah, let me try to get a better pic of the hole, i'll go try that now while I go lube it up again just to be safe. lol

1 - 20 of 186 Posts