8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 270 Posts

·
Six eyes
5,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

As promised, here is the DIY for the seat material change. I replaced 4 panels on each seat, and to do it, you basically have to dismantle the entire seat, which is harder on the front seats because there are more safety devices. As you can tell from the thread title, this DIY is a great complement to esx005's red door panel mod.

The material I used is plush synthetic kind of like a cross between velvet and suede. At $17/yd, it's much cheaper and IMO, likely to be a lot more durable than Alcantara/Ultrasuede. And it's a perfect match to the "Si" logo on the seats!

Here is the DIY: http://www.8thcivic.com/Seats.pdf

*EDIT 5/22/09* Finally got some finished pics, so I replaced all the old ones :)

Comment/criticism/questions welcome! :wavey:

Jason

***UPDATE 06/11/09*** ADDED PICS OF REDFROST'S SEAT CHANGE

***UPDATE 07/03/09*** ADDED PIC OF 06_civic_si_gi's SEAT CHANGE

***UPDATE 12/12/09*** ADDED PIC OF gmurin08's SEAT CHANGE

***UPDATE 05/16/10*** ADDED PICS OF R18-Power's SEAT CHANGE

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Great job man...but wth was that stain on the seat? lol

How long did it take you to do it all?

Just had to ask before someone else did.

·
Six eyes
5,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!

Great job man...but wth was that stain on the seat? lol

How long did it take you to do it all?

Just had to ask before someone else did.
Frig, I thought for a second that you were serious about the stain! I was about to run into the other room and check them all :)

It took me a weekend for the first seat because of all the practice runs and experimenting with the material and the sewing machine, and another weekend for the second seat because I had a mild disaster... basically I started using too much glue between the foam and material, which was causing the thread to break every time we tried to sew it. I ended up lubing up the needle with a bar of soap to make it work. But yeah, only put glue one one side only! Don't repeat my mistakes :p
I managed to do all the rear seats in about three days. The rear seat backs are relatively easy, but the rear seat bottom is a ***** because of all the dogs in it.

·
Six eyes
5,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ Oh yeah I forgot to mention that. The interior is pretty much gutted until early spring due to a bunch of projects at the same time. I'll definitely post pics when I get everything back together.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
i think i'm going to have to take a couple weeks off work drive to ontario and have you do my seats and retro:wheee::wigglesmiley::dance:

·
Six eyes
5,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^ I think I'd need a couple weeks off too :)

·
Six eyes
5,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Give me a few weeks at least and maybe I can get the back seats in the car again. I want to do some cabin sound dampening before anything goes back in.

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
a Jason™ DIY on the cabin dampening as well? The seats look great and pro man. Can't wait to see it in person :D

·
Six eyes
5,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^ Haha, not sure on that one... I'm not even sure how I'm going to tackle it at this point, or how much good it'll do :eek:hnoes:
I'll definitely be making a trip back up in the spring when I get it back together... the car's in a lot of pieces right now :)

·
Purpul Plane 4ever!
40,686 Posts
Is there anything you can't do Jason??? You def need a black headliner now...would look amazing with the seats.

1 - 20 of 270 Posts