8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1685 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for changing the Suede by the door handle.

I saw the thread where the guy had changed out the fabric all the way down the handle, and I just thought it was too much red for my tastes. I went around to a few fabric places looking for the right color, etc. I finally found a Butter Suede that was a little darker tint of red that I am 110% happy with. I think the darker color flows with the interior of the car a little bit better.
I also noticed that there were no diy's with pics and step by step directions on here for this so thought I would give it a shot.
This is my first diy so stick with me on this. If there are any questions don't hesitate to ask. :)

First step was to take the door panel off. There's one thing that you will have to do first. Use a flathead screwdriver to remove the panel behind the handle (lever). There is 1 screw to remove, and a push-pin that you will need to remove by pushing the center in.
Then you will have the 5 clips holding the actual door handle on.. clip those off and leave the handle on your door.

Now the fun begins - There were 2 screws underneath the hand rail that you will need to remove. After you take those off there is one screw that is at the end of a blue string.. almost like a leash. After you take those off you can pop the eight clips that are holding the door on.

*Whatever you do, don't take the locking mechanisms and adjacent handle out.. it is a waste of time and is a PITA to put back together.
leave these alone

After you pop the clips you must unplug the harness for the power windows/doors.

Once you get the panal off it gets a little more interesting.

there are 17 screws w/washers holding on the panel that you'll be replacing the fabric on. Unscrew all of those and you will be left with
a few tabs that I drilled out. You may find a better way of doing this, but drilling it seemed like the easiest way to me. I didn't drill all the way through or anything, just enough to break the remaining tabs free and pull out the panel.
the screws

the drilling

After I got the panel out I peeled off the black suede that was originally on the panel, then lightly and evenly sprayed 3M Super 77 to hold the new fabric in place.
*let the adhesive dry to a sticky film before you put the fabric on or you will have wet spots soak through the fabric*

I tested with 2 small pieces of the new red "suede".. one with Super 77 and one with High Strength 90. The Super 77 seemed to work just fine, but if you're worried about it holding go ahead and go with the 90. If you do use the 90 make sure that it is evenly sprayed on and not caked up in one spot. I say this because the 90 sprays a little bit heavier than the 77. In other words, the 77 sprays more like spray paint and the 90 sprays more like silly string.

I strongly recommend that you test both the way that I did so you can decide between the two yourself.
testing the two adhesives

After you have applied the new fabric and let it dry trim around the edges with an exacto-knife with a fresh new blade.

Once they are trimmed you can start reconstructing your door. Put the panel back on the door and screw the 17 screws back into place.

To secure the places that were drilled I used epoxy. This seems to hold perfectly.

Re-attach the handle, and then the hand rail (tethered screw first, then the three remaining screws) and you're ready to re-attach you're electrical components and put your door panels back on.

Here is the end result:

This is the only pic that really does the color justice

I'm extremely happy with the way this looks. Almost makes you think that Honda should've made the doors like this stock..

On a side note, I'm absolutely amazed with the way that honda has made this car. It seems almost as if they had thought about the fact that people would be changing all of this and tuning their cars ahead of time. With my sti the door panels were not user friendly at all.
The front bumper was also so easy to take off and put back on it shocked me. I planned on clearing out my headlights using a diy here on 8th but it didn't exactly work out for me.

I got this far (getting the headlights off) and when I went to bake my headlights they wouldn't fit in my oven. I got owned.
But since they wouldn't fit in the oven and I was expecting a change, I just threw in some Silverstars.

Okay well, hope this was helpful to a few people and I would like to hear some feedback on how you all think it looks.
Also, if anyone in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area is interested in me doing this for a little change hit me up, I still have enough fabric left to do two doors and can get more of the same color very easily.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry to double post, but thanks to firmhonda for helping with this DIY by writing it out and taking the pics.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its whatever you prefer... you want leather do leather.... not sure if the adhesive will hold leather...plus i don't like leather

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks.. It's actually called Butter Suede. Me and firmhonda went to like 6 fabric stores trying to find just the right color lol.

Then when we finally found the right color, no one would help us. I was walking around the store carrying a roll of butter suede and no one would just cut it for me. Oh well, it's all good now. :D

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
It could just be my eyes, but it looks like a slightly lighter shade than the stitching on the seats, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find an utter complete match to that color, let alone in suede.

I would've been so freaking panicked thinking I would detonate the door airbags, if I were doing that.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Nice DIY. So how much did this cost you? The spray adhesive around $10 a can on the high side, and for the suede per yard? Thanks looks good.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
acetech808 said:
Nice DIY. So how much did this cost you? The spray adhesive around $10 a can on the high side, and for the suede per yard? Thanks looks good.
I actually ended up getting it for $3/yd. The store was closing down and everything was 50% off.

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
Special Ringpop said:
It could just be my eyes, but it looks like a slightly lighter shade than the stitching on the seats, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find an utter complete match to that color, let alone in suede.

I would've been so freaking panicked thinking I would detonate the door airbags, if I were doing that.
The color is actually as close to a perfect match as you will ever find. When we were in the store I thought the color was all wrong, but it seems as though I was dead wrong.

It really looks fantastic in person, I can't even begin to tell you how great it really is.

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
P4rD0nM3 said:
Looks nice. Now if you can just do something with that gray/silver crap.
Out of curiousity, do you have any ideas as to what should be done? I've personally never even thought about it, but I don't have an fg so =P.

:)

I did want to add one thing.. when in the diy it says:

esx005 said:
First step was to take the door panel off. There's one thing that you will have to do first. Use a flathead screwdriver to remove the panel behind the handle (lever). There is 1 screw to remove, and a push-pin that you will need to remove by pushing the center in.
This is what we're talking about

Thanks to CameronJr9 for letting me use his pic, even though he doesn't know yet. :laughing:

*took pic from this thread
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2128

·
Purpul Plane 4ever!
40,686 Posts
Looks good! Nice job!

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Awesome! can we merge the other thread about this into this one? i would do Fiji blue door inserts though for fiji blue color SI.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i thought about blue but i like red better in the interior b/c it matches the stitching, plus my last car had red and i kinda miss it...

·
Registered
5,595 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
red matches the stitching and a blue to match the outside would be real hard to find

1 - 20 of 1685 Posts