8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Mines were 180 all across after re doing it. Coulda gone higher but my friend said as long as they all pass 175 ur good:)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
259 Posts
In all the compression test I have done the engine must be at normal operating temp before the test can be performed. If not then your readings will be inncorrect. Just my 2 cents.
thats how the manual says to do it, says min pressure 135psi and max variance of 28 psi +/- for the k20z3 and min pressure 128psi and max variance of 28psi +/- for the r18

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I'm picking up my new-to-me Si tonight and plan on doing this this weekend. Does anyone know if this tester will work?

It says that it works with 14mm & 18mm spark plug port openings. I don't know what size the port openings are on our Z3's though.

From what I've read, 175+ psi is a solid reading, with max variance of 28 psi (hopefully less variance than that).

Thanks for you help!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Im sitting at 140-145 in all four. Car was warm but not normal temp so I am going to try again tomorrow.
The reason I wanted to check was the top radiator hose came off and overheated the engine.
89000 miles with 500-1000 rotrex sc miles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My 06 Si starts cold with a strange starter rhythm, which is what makes me think I have low compression in at least one cylinder. Instead of a nice "tch tch tch tch tch" sound from the starter on cold starts, it sounds more "lumpy", like it's easier and harder for the motor to turn every 3rd or 4th rotation. Car doesn't burn much oil, and makes good power. No smoke. Will try the compression test and see where that takes me.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts