8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

2901 - 2920 of 2936 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Is this thread still active? I am doing this mod right now. Got all my soldering stuff and leds + resistors and today I did the fog light button. My first time soldering on these circuit boards, it seems simple enough (I've soldered wires with the soldering gun but never things this small). I'm doing the car in all red and next will be the mirror adjustment and sel/res buttons. I have some neo wedge bulbs coming in the mail but I'm going to solder any of the ones that are not neo wedge. Although, if I get impatient, I'm pretty confident I could solder them instead if I wanted to. Any of the people who did this mod still around to help?

Anyway, pics of the fog light:

New leds soldered on.

Light isn't really pink, it's just the camera struggling in low light.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Is this thread still active?

Any of the people who did this mod still around to help?
KMM still checks in from time to time, I also check in at least once a week if not more. If you have any questions I can try to help.
I did this years ago and it all went well except the factory radio (changed mine to aftermarket a few weeks later)

·
Registered
372 Posts
KMM still checks in from time to time, I also check in at least once a week if not more. If you have any questions I can try to help.
I did this years ago and it all went well except the factory radio (changed mine to aftermarket a few weeks later)
Thanks, I appreciate it. So far things seem pretty straightforward after searching all the pages for the info I need, but who knows I might get a curve ball somewhere.
Fortunately for me I have an aftermarket radio as well so I don't have to worry about it either. If I had to do the lights in the factory radio I would be seriously questioning whether I can do this mod, that part looks massively confusing.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate it. So far things seem pretty straightforward after searching all the pages for the info I need, but who knows I might get a curve ball somewhere.
Fortunately for me I have an aftermarket radio as well so I don't have to worry about it either. If I had to do the lights in the factory radio I would be seriously questioning whether I can do this mod, that part looks massively confusing.
I did it, it worked for about 4 days then one day I turned on the car and heard a pop and the all the lights on the dash were out as well as no power to the radio. Turned out something shorted and the pop was just a fuse or two but I didn't bother taking it apart to try again since I had already decided I wanted a double din touchscreen

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey guys when i was doing my steering wheel buttons , one of my smd leds the solder base came off, i soldered the led on the same spot it was but it wont work,

can anyone help me fix this ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey guys when i was doing my steering wheel buttons , one of my smd leds the solder base came off, i soldered the led on the same spot it was but it wont work,

can anyone help me fix this ?
i have attached a picture of the little pad that came off, i have soldered my led right on top of where it was and my button wont light up

is there any way i can wire this to make it work?

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
i have attached a picture of the little pad that came off, i have soldered my led right on top of where it was and my button wont light up

is there any way i can wire this to make it work?
That happened to be about twice so far when doing my climate controls. I probably kept the soldering iron on too long or messed with it too much so it overheated a bit and they came off over time. I found that for me what worked was to take the pad completely off (since it's probably loose anyway so it won't be making contact), use some desoldering wick and totally clean up the whole area (without heating it up too much or too long, yikes!), and you can solder the led directly to the copper underneath where the pad was. Thing is, it's way too easy to damage the pcb due to being more vulnerable to overheating and damage with the copper exposed like that. If you do it that way then be careful. The copper under there is the real conductor so there's no reason it won't work to do that though. If it's still not working, then check pos/neg and check to make sure your leds are always making proper contact. I *thought* I had it soldered on there correctly a few times but the led wasn't making contact so I had to redo a few times.

2901 - 2920 of 2936 Posts