8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 363 Posts

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is another DIY here, but I found it a little confusing and decided just to post one I did to maybe help others that get confused like I do.

First, make sure you have a phillips screw driver, some panel pry bars and patience.

This is what we want to replace...

You need to remove the plastic bezel around the shift trigger...

Next , pry either side of the collar away from the head, and push down at the same time... you either need to be very agile with your fingers and strong , or get a buddy to help you. Everyone I know is sleeping at 12:22am, so I did this with brute force and some panel pry bars...

It will feel like you broke it when you apply enough pressure, don't be afraid.. it takes a bit of force... okay, a lot of force... my fingers are still hurting.

There are two (2) screws to remove now, one on either side.

I removed one screw already.

Once you take of your old shifter knob, put the screws back in the holes, and replace the collar to keep everything together.

Now your Autoshifter looks like this...

Now install your shift knob according to the manufacturers instructions, I picked up an inexpensive one from a flea market, cost $10, uses three small screws and a supplied allen wrench to fasten.

That's it.

Quick and simple, just a pain to get the collar off to get to the two screws.

Now I need to make a Shift boot.. yes for an automatic... *grins*

Thanks for reading, enjoy.

EDIT : Boot added, project done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
haha this is pretty cool. I dont see why you guys dont just get manual though. Oh well i guess not everyone can be cool huh? Just kidding

·
Registered
414 Posts
i would have gotten a manual myself, cept the wife cant drive em, and i didnt feel like bringing her to work at 5am everyday with my 8month old son.

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
crxlvr said:
i would have gotten a manual myself, cept the wife cant drive em, and i didnt feel like bringing her to work at 5am everyday with my 8month old son.
:thumb: Me too! :vtec:

NBPRudy said:
Nice job Adrian.:thumb:
Thanks dude!

iluvmycsx said:
great work :thumb:
CHALO said:
+1 for you i don't have a AT but is for be the first that mod the AT knob
Nice job :thumb:

Salu2
1stk20z3 said:
nice diy! +1 even tho i dont have a AT!
Bwang408 said:
haha this is pretty cool. I dont see why you guys dont just get manual though. Oh well i guess not everyone can be cool huh? Just kidding
:wavey: Thanks all! :wavey:

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
inyong1988 said:
awesome...but not sure about the choice of ur new knob...
Me either, although for $10 and a chance to do a DIY, I did it. It will look better once the new boot is put on, I'm sewing it this week, going to do a little embroidery on it too.. muuuahhahahaaa...

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
That's the same exact A/T knob I had on my 94 LX, but in blue! :D Good DIY, man. S'great to add a bit of yourself to your car.

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
8thgenuser said:
Thanks, Leo. What did you use to pry off the plastic bezel?

As quoted...

Yodums said:
Holy crap, you took a crowbar to your shift knob! Great DIY.

Actually used two of these...

Bought them at a local Dollar store... 2 for a 1$

Best investment I ever made!

Used one to insert around the trigger and carefully pry out. The plastic on the
panel pry bar has never scratched anything yet (knocks on wood) much safer
than a screwdriver or knife, or anything metal.

You should be able to find them around, if not, something similar. (you could use plastic paint stir stick, cut in half, I used to use that, just whittle a bevel on one end to be able to insert into cracks... ummm.. yeah... )

:vtec:

1 - 20 of 363 Posts