8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 520 Posts

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A list of Honda part # needed to do the swap.
77250-SNA-A01ZA (Center Panel Gray) or
77250-SNA-A01ZB (Center Panel Tan)
77255-SNA-A00 (Radio Bracket Passenger Side)
77256-SNA-A00 (Radio Bracket Driver Side)
08B60-SCV-100 (Din pocket from Element/will be for the Civic to when they list it)
93913-14420 (Screw, Tapping(4x16)) or pull from stock center panel
08B01-SNA-100 (Antenna Sud Harness Kit)
Download and print AM/FM CD Tuner installation Instructions, I found them at http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/8th_gen_civ_sedan/cdtuner.pdf

Ok. First a stock pic.

First disconnect the Negative Cable.

Remove the Driver's side lower dash cover (8 clips on the panel 3 on the left, 3 on the right and 2 in the middle) I was a little ginger pulling on the panels as this was the first time pulling my baby apart. It took more than a little pull to pop them out but they popped out fine and can take a good firm pull...

Next remove the inside cover from the front console lower pocket by prying the cover down in the front (2 tabs)

Remove 3 screws. 1 to the left of the steering wheel (in 3rd pic) and 2 through the front console pocket hole (A small phillips screwdriver can get the 2 in the pocket hole).

Lower and pull the steering wheel to give you more room to pull the rest of the dash.

With the screws pulled you can now pull the driver's side middle dash panel out. 11 clips (3 on the left, 4 on the right, 3 on top and one on the bottom), and disconnect the 2 wire harness plugs. I started on the bottom left and worked my way around the top and back down the left with firm short tugs.

Now with the screws pulled earlier you can pull out the center upper dash 11 clips (3 on the left, 3 on the right,2 on top and 3 on the bottom) and disconnect 6 wire harness plugs ( 3 for the radio, 1 for the heater, 1 for the air bag light and 1 for the flashers). I pulled from the left to the right, the right bottom clip didn't want to come off and finaly popped off to let me get the panel out. This was the only one to give me any trouble. Found the clip on the passenger side under dash panel if you have the same trouble, but your new center upper dash will have new clips...

Next pry the heater control rings off carefully working around the ring. Note the location of the light on the ring and the control unit...

Now remove the 4 screws holding the heater unit, 2 screws holding the flasher unit, 2 screws holding the airbag light and 3 screws holding the vent from the back side of the dash. Also pull 4 screws from the stock radio brackets to use on your new radio brackets. Install them on your new dash leaving the vent off for access to the radio bracket.

Install the control ring back on the heater control unit. Placing the din pocket through the new center dash mount the new radio brackets to the din pocket with the 2 screws provided with the din pocket. Then mount the brackets to the back of the dash using the 4 screws you pulled from the old radio bracket.

Slide your radio in above the din pocket and mount with the screws provided with the radio and reinstall the vent with the 3 screws.
Look at your new center dash panel, OOH and AAH at it.:)
Now for the fun part, Wiring your radio. Look and see if you can find an install harness yet, if not T-Tap or Hardwire (strip and crimp) the connections. The following pic and list will help.

Connector #1

#1 / Ground - Black with silver stripe
#2 / Rear R - Yellow with silver stripe
#3 / Front R - Red with silver stripe
#4 / Radio marking as LET Lt. blue with silver stripe (not used)
#5 / Radio marking as TEL No wire (EX w/nav?)
#6 / Radio marking as SECU Green with silver stripe (not used)
#7 / Front L - Orange with silver stripe
#8 / Rrear L - White with silver stripe
#9 / Illumination - Red with silver stripe
#10 / Battery 12v + White with silver stripe
#11 / Rear R + Brown with silver stripe
#12 / Front R + Green with silver stripe
#13 / ACC ignition Purple with silver stripe
#14 / Radio marking as SPD Blue with silver stripe (not used)
#15 / Front L + Blue with silver stripe
#16 / Rear L + Black with silver stripe
#17 / Illumination + Gray with silver stripe

Connector #2

#1 / Radio marking as TELMG No wire (EX w/nav?)
#2 / Radio marking as TELM- No wire (EX w/nav?)
#3 / Radio marking as HFT-11No wire (EX w/nav?)
#4 / Radio marking as REMC Pink (not used)
#5 / Radio marking as REMG Brown with silver stripe (not used)
#6 / Radio marking as AUXG Blue with silver stripe (not used)
#7 / Radio marking as AUXSH Flat black (not used)
#8 / Radio marking as AUXSG Brown with silver stripe (not used)
#9 / Radio marking as NAVSH No wire (EX w/nav?)
#10 / Radio marking as NAVG No wire (EX w/nav?)
#11 / Radio marking as HFT No wire (EX w/nav?)
#12 / Radio marking as TEL+ No wire (EX w/nav?)
#13 / Radio marking as HFT-12 No wire (EX w/nav?)
#14 / Radio marking as PASM No wire (EX w/nav?)
#15 / Factory AMP Power control wire Lt.Blue with silver stripe
#16 / Radio marking as AUXD White with silver stripe (not used)
#17 / Radio marking as AUXR Green (not used)
#18 / Radio marking as AUXL Yellow with silver stripe (not used)
#19 / Radio marking as NAVR No wire (EX w/nav?)
#20 / Radio marking as NAVL No wire (EX w/nav?)

Now attach your Antenna sub harness to the antenna plug (sorry I did not get a pic of the Antenna sub harness. It has a connector on one end and a normal antenna end and 1 wire (Yellow with green stripe i think) at the other end. Here is a pic of the conector to plug in to. I did not connect the yellow/green wire and still get good reception.

Cable tie the wires up out of the way leaving enough to connect the radio before sliding the dash back in. Connect all the wire connectors back onto the center dash panel including the antenna and install the center dash. Connect the wire connectors back onto the driver's side dash and install the driver's side dash. Replace the 3 screws. 1 to the left of the steering wheel (in 3rd pic) and 2 through the front console pocket hole (A small phillips screwdriver can get the 2 in the pocket hole). Pop the pocket cover and lower driver's side dash back on and reconnect the negative battery cable.
Crank it up and turn on the Radio.

AHH the sweet sound of success.:D

Hope this helps some of you out there...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Nice DIY. Did you install the courtesy light kit while you were at it? Thought I saw one there in the center bin.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Great tutorial. I will definately use it coming this spring. Can I assume that you did not find a wiring harness and did it all on your own? Again, awesome job!

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
xtv-sidecar said:
Is the double din slot and the area under the radio (the first pic) straight through? Meaning could I re-route an aftermarket radio in that slot under the factory radio, with the aux and 12V supply? I asked this in the other thread but this one seems to get more attention.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hustler said:
Sick... I dont got the balls to mess with my head unit... Dont wanna mess up...:) haha
It's actually nothing difficult, it's just time consuming. Not much to mess up, per se. I'm going to do it myself, but I'm waiting for someone to make a harness for the stereo, I refuse to cut the wires. :p

·
Registered
217 Posts
skittleslegend said:
Is the double din slot and the area under the radio (the first pic) straight through? Meaning could I re-route an aftermarket radio in that slot under the factory radio, with the aux and 12V supply? I asked this in the other thread but this one seems to get more attention.
You could easily run the radio wires down there. Mounting it down there might be a little difficult though...

Rommy said:
It's actually nothing difficult, it's just time consuming. Not much to mess up, per se. I'm going to do it myself, but I'm waiting for someone to make a harness for the stereo, I refuse to cut the wires. :p
As do I, that's why I used t-taps.

tim

·
Registered
92 Posts
Very good write :)

A little question for you, when you say :

#16 / Radio marking as AUXD White with silver stripe (not used)
#17 / Radio marking as AUXR Green (not used)
#18 / Radio marking as AUXL Yellow with silver stripe (not used)

Do you mean that those are the normal AUX input of the stock radio.
And does AUXD stands for Ground? AUXR = Right Channel AUXL = Left Channel?

I'm planning my XM installation and I don't want to spend 50$ for the AUX adaptor, since I'm going for permanant install, I don't want to see any cable anyway.

Thank you :)

1 - 20 of 520 Posts