8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

DIY: Accord Dual Horn Upgrade

42K views 168 replies 55 participants last post by  bigboy0723 
#1 · (Edited)
sup, so College Hills Honda(great guys) has a special for an accord single and dual horn upgrade

problem is only 08+ civic si's come with two factory horns (correct me if im wrong)

my 08 lx has one that goes meep meep, replaced it with the accord lowtone but sounded kind of dull on its own.

TRURICE figured it out that the accord has a dual horn setup, and CHH responded with a special on it.

heres how to run dual horns on civics equipped with one factory horn

first you need the horns, here one as the other is already on my car from previous install

some basic quick connects and crimpers plus 12 gauge wire

take this

and put it here to test fit

now remove it and put it aside. take the wire, strip off about 1/2" like this

attach it to the quick connect (female)

tape it up for a factory look

you need a 10mm socket wrench to loosen up the mounting tab so you can rotate the horn to point outwards, make sure you sand down some more black paint from the horn as the mountab tab is the source of ground to the chasis

this is very important. this job cannot be done without these 6 vital tools

start disassembling the front end

anyone purchasing this horn setup from CHH or a local dealership make sure you get the mounting bracket for the horns ( passenger side 08+ civic si)

a 12mm socket is need to remove/reinstall the horn and mounting bracket

i didnt realize this untill all was said and done , since i refuse to buy crap from my local dealership i just made a mount

from this

i made this

connected the wire

i dont have it pictured but i taped over the connection to ensure its all black and sturdy as well

and mounted it using the stock hole

i ran the wire across the crash bar and just taped it on, doesnt touch any moving parts, and is away from heat

now onto the driver side, i removed the factory horn and mounting bracket. and cut off the stock harness with about 2 inchs of wire connected to it like so

please make sure you dont cut it off at the very tip, you need to reuse this

now whats left is a very short wire, attach an extension to it, heat shrink it and tape it up

now attach the wire from the other horn to it, and attach the stock harness to those wires, heatshrink and tape it and and voila. factory fresh

reattach the mounting brackets

aim and tighten the horn, this pics show a slant but mine is pointing at 3 oclock for the drivers side, and 9 0clock for the passenger side

tighten up the mounting tabs and tighten up the horn and you should be finished

now test you horn at this point, carefull its loud.

since there is no wiring for a ground the horns must be mounted to the chasis for them to work.

if they work reassemble your front end, if not working just check your connections. as all your basicly doing is tapping into the factory power wire and moounting another horn on the opposite side

thanks to trurice for the info on the second horn's part #
and college hills honda for making them available

enjoy

look, try this on your own risk. if you cannot cut and reconnect wires please dont attemp this. you can void your warranty and fry your wiring . directions are simple enough but i cant/wont be responsible for any damages done to your vehicle

PART NUMBERS
The part numbers for both Accord Horns are 38100-STK-A02 (low) and 38150-TA0-A01 (high).
The part number for the passenger-side horn bracket (for those of us non-Si owners who only have one factory horn) is 38151-SNA-000. Price is roughly $6.00
PART NUMBER male harness 04321-S87-305

See less See more
#44 ·
Nice D.I.Y, I see you trying to do pics like mine for the harness... shoulda just ripped them.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/exterior-style-mods/92322-d-i-y-sidemarker-harness.html

my camera has auto focus. really its junk. sorry

well when purchased the lowtone horn, truflip made a thread with both horns and paul at college hils responded with the package. i pmed him and ordered it

honestly to maybe avoid shipping charges get a price qoute from your local dealer. if its less then $18 and in stock id say get it from them

thanks obert

and btw, the horn sounds amazing. im actually trying to use it now lol

#6 ·
my camera has auto focus. really its junk. sorry

well when purchased the lowtone horn, truflip made a thread with both horns and paul at college hils responded with the package. i pmed him and ordered it

honestly to maybe avoid shipping charges get a price qoute from your local dealer. if its less then $18 and in stock id say get it from them

thanks obert

and btw, the horn sounds amazing. im actually trying to use it now lol

#7 ·
subscribed for later viewing. definitely been wanting to do this with either an Accord, Odyssey, or Pilot horn setup.

:hail:
excellent!!

#8 ·
ok im having a hard time with these pics
a) what horn is that with that additional bracket, and why bother? u can just bend the stock point
b) the wiring here is poorly described, dude u gotta give me a wire diagram or something (takes 2 secs in paintshop)

i def think it sounds good, and this is up on the list of NECESSARY mods, as my car cant be heard at 65mph.... WTF!

from what i can tell its a one pin connector, so im just gonna hit up the junk yard and steal a few :-D
i can get those from a civic or accord, correct?
also will be buying the whole package, cause i never upgraded to the "fit" horn as to being 2 db QUIETER!

also no need to cut ne wires, a wire tap will work fine here

#12 · (Edited)
hey man, let me answer your question

that horn with the additional bracket is the low tone accord horn.

accords come with dual horns 108db high and 108db low, my 2008 lx comes with 1 horn. i noted that i made the bracket but it can be easily purchased from honda dealer. youll need the "passenger side horn bracket-2008+ civic si" dont have a part number

only 2008 and up civic si's come with dual horns stock, everything else comes with 1 horn:eek:hsnap:

are they not loading up ? or to blurry non focused ? if the latter my camera sucks

i made a schematic that you requested. really theres nothing to describe? get a 1/16" 1 pin connector, hook it to the horn and attach it to a wire. im not sure where you can get a stock harness, that would be great if you do

also a wiretap may work fine and i did purchase a bunch. but after seeing there quality i just passed on the occasion. a simple splice and tap worked for me

that sounds good
it really is crazy loud

Sounds great! Good to see you got it going for the non-si people. Thanks for the name mention I felt special :bighug:
no problem, i honk with confidance now. and you did bring it to my attention that accords came with dual horns

#11 ·
anyone purchasing this horn setup from CHH or a local dealership make sure you get the mounting bracket for the horns ( passenger side 08+ civic si)

a 12mm socket is need to remove/reinstall the horn and mounting bracket

i didnt realize this untill all was said and done , since i refuse to buy crap from my local dealership i just made a mount

from this

i made this

Can you clarify this.

I just got the dual horn combo pack from CHH and both horns have a bracket, straight piece attached to them.

What is this other bracket you are talking about?

I am trying to visualize how you have that passenger side mounted on that bracket you made but I can not make it out from your picture of it.

You got a better picture of the pass side horn mounted?

Thanks,

#13 · (Edited)
both horns come with the tab, but the bracket im talking about mounts to the chasis, since my car came with only 1 horn there was only 1 bracket and it was on the drivers side. the passenger side had nothing to mount the horn to.

so i removed that tab and made a bracket to hold it onto the chasis.

this is the factory bracket thats on the car, i broke off the bottom tab for clearance. but the mounting brackets i put together take this bracket place on the passengers side. hope that answer your ?

#14 ·
omfg............................. definitely do want to do this down the road.

:drooling:
i heart Accord/Ody/Pilot/Ridgeline dual-tone horn setups.

very nice. finally had the time to sit here & read that. idk d*ck about wiring though. best if i let some of my local electrical friends tackle this one.

#23 ·
omfg............................. definitely do want to do this down the road.

:drooling:
i heart Accord/Ody/Pilot/Ridgeline/civic dual-tone horn setups.

very nice. finally had the time to sit here & read that. idk d*ck about wiring though. best if i let some of my local electrical friends tackle this one.
your electrical friends dont have to be bothered. If you have an 08 si you have two horns. You just buy the two horn upgrade from your local honda or CHH and out with the old and in with the new. Literally will take you 2 minutes once the bumper is off

#41 ·
Lookin' forward to upgrading my '08 EX crappy horn!!! Never been so friggin' embarrassed in my life until I had to use it for the 1st time.

The part number for the passenger-side horn bracket (for those of us non-Si owners who only have one factory horn) is 38151-SNA-000. Price is roughly $6.00.

A couple of questions:
1) Did you install the dual Accord horns from the current generation Accord ('08 or '09 models)?
2) When you press the "lock" button on your key twice, do you still hear a "honk" confirming that the doors locked?

Thanks for the great posts! :thumb:

#31 ·
it's funny... i've been getting some nice usage outta my TL+civic horns, being that i live in boston.

today, some old man cut me off in a ford taurus so i gave him a nice looooong obnoxiously loud honk. it scared the **** outta him, he initially pressed his brake, then it just turned into extreme road rage. dude pulled up next to me and started yelling, so i rolled down my window and gave him a nice f*ck u and the good finger.

some day, an old road raging man is gonna learn that a 22 year old in great shape is not a fair fight against a 55 year old fat man. i'm dying to knock an old angry man out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.