8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,183 Posts
I understand! Good luck! Whatever your choice, you will love them. I don't miss the cheapo OEM ones even though you can get them on aliexpress for cheap. Besides the color mismatch, I don't care for how they "clang" when folded up or down. I can't imagine they do that in an Acura, I sometimes wonder if I somehow damaged them. As far as redoing the fabric on them, no idea how much that might cost (I haven't the slightest idea on how to open them up and get material to adhere to them without making it look like hell).

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
On my 2010 had 50/50 luck. Passenger side tightened up with 6 steel binder post. Drivers (which was already changed once) would not tighten for anything. They are all junk.....and Honda knows it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I guess I've had pretty good luck with mine. It's an '06 and I had a bit of splitting with the passenger side a long time ago... must've been in '07 or 08. While getting an oil change I had them replace it, but the tech did the driver side by mistake. So after another 1/2 hour wait I had them both done for free because the car was still under warranty.
But now the car's 14 years old. I use the DS visor relatively often, and it's barely starting to show signs of splitting. The passenger side, on the other hand, is completely shot, and I'm convinced it's because I've been using it frequently for the past couple years to prop up my Weather Tech sunshade. Having the visor in the "down" position for hours or days at a time definitely isn't good. (I always used a rolled-up towel stuffed between the driver's side dash and the sunshade, so no need to keep that visor folded down. Previously I had a Heatshield sunshade, which was superior to Weather Tech's -- it stayed up on its own -- but after about 10 years of my folding it in half instead of rolling it up, it was no good & I replaced it.)
When attempting the epoxy fix on my passenger visor, I noticed something I haven't seen anyone mention: there's a type of grease inside, on the black metal piece (where it rubs against the cheap plastic "rings" and the two square "slots" every time you fold the visor up or down). This tells me Honda knew from the start that the mechanism would be trouble. I've had decent luck with mine but guys were having trouble when this model was just months off the assembly line. That's rather pathetic that the company's "fix" was just giving us an identical part that's destined to fail. I know there are "wear parts" in a car that are always going to die, even with regular maintenance, but this would've been so easy for them to fix decisively.

·
Super Moderator
2,183 Posts
To keep updated: My Acura sun visors continue to be "just fine". As I mentioned, they are slightly larger and do not exactly fit the indentations on the roof, they so stick out slightly. That is fine as the visor has a strong "hold" when in whatever position. If I had to do this again, I would get the TL visors to light up. When installing them, I ripped them (wiring and plug) out (oh well)... I never considered wiring them up. My headliner is starting to sag in other parts so replacing it will be a priority soon (it bothers me to no end) and I MIGHT tackle reupholstering the visors to match (or not, depending how difficult it is).

@odison : My original visors split b/c I have one of those fitted windshield sun covers and the visors hold them in place. Still, those factory visors are and continue to be junk. However, if, like odison, you leave them in the "up position", they should last.

Acura Visor vs. OEM

Slight color difference

Anyway, sorry for the bad pictures.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts