8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let this be known at the “007 Garage Door Opener” mod.


Materials needed:
-A momentary switch
-Relatively small gauge wire
-Soldering iron w/ solder

Materials suggested:
-Heat shrink tubing
-A few small zip ties
-Drill w/ drill bit

1.) First of all, you’ll need to pull the panel from your car. It snaps in place, just pull it off.

2.) Take your garage door opener apart. The common one I used can be pried apart at the base of the unit using the clip that comes on it. Get the board out and take a good look at it. You need to locate the physical switch that you want replicated.







3.) As you can see, the “door opener” switch is the one all alone over to the side. Flip it over and you’ll see four solder points in which it’s mounted. The two closest to the side on mine aren’t connected to anything; they’re there only to help mount it. The two others are connected to the traces, and that little switch is the only thing keeping the two from connecting.





4.) What you need to do is solder one wire to one of those solder joints, and another wire to the other one. You can test it out by touching the ends of the wires together and the door should open/shut. (Make sure the battery is in place!) If it doesn’t work, check your work.

5.) Now you need to get that case assembled back together and route the two wires outside of it. I drilled a hole through the back of the case where that clip used to be, and crammed the wires out of it. You should have the case back together completely with the wires sticking out of it. Touch the wires together once more to make sure it’s still working and you didn’t knock anything loose..

6.) Next you need to drill the hole in the panel wherever you want the thing located. The switch I used (and supplied the link to) uses a ½” drill bit. Install the switch in place and screw the fastener on from behind.



7.) If you want to use the heat shrink tubing, slide it on the wires now. Next attach each wire to a prong on the back of the switch… doesn’t matter which one… just one a piece. Solder them in place and finish up your work with the heat shrink tubing if you want. Test it out. Zip tie the wires together if you'd like.



8.) Final step is to tape or glue the garage door opener device to the back of that panel. Install the panel back in your car and you’re done.



Enjoy your new slick garage door opener! :thumb:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
That's a very slick way of hiding your door open but it does seem like changing the battery might be a bit of a pain. Hopefully they'll last a while before you have take apart your lower dash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
Great DIY.

Suggestion I would make to all attempting this would be to buy a new battery before install so it lasts longer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
E. Honda said:
That's a very slick way of hiding your door open but it does seem like changing the battery might be a bit of a pain. Hopefully they'll last a while before you have take apart your lower dash.
This kind of opener uses those watch batteries. My entire family has been using these for the last 4 years and none of us has had to replace these yet.

Nice job and nice location for the button. I did a similar thing just last night:

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1227113

We used the same button, too funny.
Yours is VERY detailed. Ha we've got a battle of the mods goin on. Who will prevail?
I guess it's good we together explain how wire up both kinds of the door openers. Those two are by far the most common.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,416 Posts
what bout positive and negative? does that matter in this case and how would you go about finding which is which???

Love the mod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,416 Posts
OK so I skipped over that part... it doesn't matter which wire goes to which..sorry. I do have a question though...what about if you remote using a 12V battery? Will the switch, wires and everything be compatible with that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,595 Posts
What happens if you sell the car and with the garage opener? lol thell get into your house!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
maximus20895 said:
OK so I skipped over that part... it doesn't matter which wire goes to which..sorry. I do have a question though...what about if you remote using a 12V battery? Will the switch, wires and everything be compatible with that?
Same procedure. I don't think it matters what kind of battery powers it. The only thing we're doing is bypassing the real switch and putting our own in place. Nothing else changes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
06CivEXJon said:
What happens if you sell the car and with the garage opener? lol thell get into your house!
Disconnect the garage door opener and take it with you. Then leave the switch there... I guarantee it'll be a few months before they realize it's there!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,416 Posts
ism so excited to finish this.. I've soldered the wires to the remote, drilled the and drilled the hole...the only thing left is getting the part from radio shack tomorrow...

Awesome DIY :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
I don't have a garage now, but on my first S2000 I did a similar mod that uses no switches.

I soldered the switch to be always closed;
Removed the battery;
Wired the remote's battery connectors in-line with the high beam wires...access them under the hood about a foot away from the high beams themselves.

To open the garage door, I simply flashed the high beams. The remote used a 9 volt battery, and obviously the high beams are using closer to 14.4 volts. Over a year later no damage had been done to the remote circuitry. I swear I had some additional range this way too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Incubus said:
I don't have a garage now, but on my first S2000 I did a similar mod that uses no switches.

I soldered the switch to be always closed;
Removed the battery;
Wired the remote's battery connectors in-line with the high beam wires...access them under the hood about a foot away from the high beams themselves.

To open the garage door, I simply flashed the high beams. The remote used a 9 volt battery, and obviously the high beams are using closer to 14.4 volts. Over a year later no damage had been done to the remote circuitry. I swear I had some additional range this way too.
That's a pretty cool idea. What if you have to leave the high beams on though?

I might just try that...
 
1 - 20 of 132 Posts
Top