8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering if any HCH owners here checked/change their 12V battery before to give me some advice on this... A few months ago, I bought my 2008 HCH certificated pre-owned. When I went in for my first oil change today, the dealer said my battery needs to be changed. I don't know if he is pulling my leg, but I do see the "distill water" indicator on the top of the original battery. The car starts and runs fine so maybe it's dying slowly?

Is there anything I can do to "fix" the battery? It is a maintainance-free battery so I don't think I can add distilled water. So what is that indicator telling me to do?

The dealer wants $103 for the battery alone, while AutoZone wants $130+ for a 3rd party battery. I am hoping I can avoid getting a new 12V battery. I called American Honda and they said the 12V battery is not covered for my case. :cornmad:

Thanks,
Jonathan

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
i'd have to look at mine to see. i think the dealer replaced mine a while a go though and it doesn't have that sight glass with the indicators anymore...

either way if you need a new battery but the one you have still gets the job done and you're not in a hurry to spend the money just wait it out a little longer until you notice yourself that the battery is on its way out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just did mine last month, on my 06 HCH. You can peel back the label to expose the filler caps and top it off with distilled water - Hey it's out of warranty anyways! And throw a set of jumper cables in the trunk; just in case.

Mine slowly died; had to jump start it if I left it parked for more than 3 days.

FYI; a group 51R battery will work and only cost ~$70 @ Costco, Sams, or Walmart

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yanno, I just went in for an oil change yesterday and they told me to change the battery. I've actually been thinking about switching to an Odyssey battery setup...good or bad idea?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts