8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I noticed a discoloration on the back of my car... the right side just below the tail light... I have no idea what it could be. I just washed the car this past weekend for the first time so I thought it could be residue...but after attempts to see if it's removable, there it is still...

It appears to be in the paint, under the sealant. I have had the Simoniz sealant done since I intend to have this car for a long time and I thought a warranty on paint might not be a bad idea.

So I snapped some pics and figured I'd try posting here for some help? I've only had the car for maybe 3 weeks now and after many rainy days and dirt build-up on my car, I just wonder if I hadn't noticed this lighter discoloration until after washing it... It almost looks like maybe the car was scratched and fixed before it was turned over to me...but seriously I don't know what it could be on a new car...

Any suggestions about what it is or what I can do about it would be much appreciated!

Pics:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Get the opinion of a body shop, if your dealer has a body shop take it to them. I assume this is still a car under warranty?

·
All Liver GSP's!
3,619 Posts
Your dealer may say there is nothing wrong.....because they may have done the body work. Get someone to hit it with a paint meter. Just to make sure there was no previous paint work done before you got the car. Just to be safe =).

If you find the paint work, get it documented by a pro. and take it to the dealer and ask them to pull your deal and show you the damage disclosure you are required to sign by law.

·
Premium Member
41,908 Posts
I had three of those marks I could see with my eye and one that I didn't see on the hood that the paint meter picked up. I noticed this the day after I bought my car oh and plus a dent I found as well.

I lost my car for 4 days while they fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
wierd....i dont know why that would be happening...really sucks your new car has that issue. I would be pissed if my new car had to be repainted already...

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Skylinegtr06 said:
simoniz? The stuff you see on TV?
It's the Simoniz System 5 thats put on before taking delivery. I just wanted the warranty that came with it as far as paint protection went... I intend to keep this car for many years...

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TJ213 said:
I'm sorry, thats paint cancer, we can remove it, but you really should use sunblock next time.
aww dammit! Hope it isn't malignant!!

Thanks for all your help guys - I really appreciate it!! I've found alot of good resources here for my new baby :)

I'll let you know how it goes... I'll visit the dealer this weekend...yay. Anyone know how Honda of Westborough (MA) might deal with this?

·
Registered
583 Posts
BluePhoenix said:
aww dammit! Hope it isn't malignant!!

Thanks for all your help guys - I really appreciate it!! I've found alot of good resources here for my new baby :)

I'll let you know how it goes... I'll visit the dealer this weekend...yay. Anyone know how Honda of Westborough (MA) might deal with this?
hey what's up, i think you're on massdriven, right? lol

if you want a body shop to look at it i know some people that work at Kaputz. my friend buffed out some huge scuffs on my trunk, i can have him take a look at wtf is wrong with yours. he can give you an idea what it is, and that will give you an advantage when taking it to the dealership. let me know. im not sure exactly where you're located so this could be tough if you live far from where im from.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
BluePhoenix said:
It's the Simoniz System 5 thats put on before taking delivery. I just wanted the warranty that came with it as far as paint protection went... I intend to keep this car for many years...
i dont mean to burst your bubble...but that "paint protection" is just a really expensive coat of wax....basically they rip you off. and if for some reason you did ever go into the dealer for somthing that is wrong with your paint (on top of the clear, such as rock chips), they will tell you it is wear and tear from your driving habits and not cover it. and if this "spot" happens to be on top of the clear, they might try to not cover it and blame it on misuse of a cleaner, buffer, or somthing hit your car...

but if this is underneath the clear, they should definatly cover it under warrenty.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
NIGHTHAWKSI said:
i dont mean to burst your bubble...but that "paint protection" is just a really expensive coat of wax....basically they rip you off. and if for some reason you did ever go into the dealer for somthing that is wrong with your paint (on top of the clear, such as rock chips), they will tell you it is wear and tear from your driving habits and not cover it. and if this "spot" happens to be on top of the clear, they might try to not cover it and blame it on misuse of a cleaner, buffer, or somthing hit your car...

but if this is underneath the clear, they should definatly cover it under warrenty.
yah I'm ok with the rock chips and such...I've learned they're unavoidable. I do worry about paint fading since it's happened on other cars in the past though. This spot does look like its under the coating so I should be covered... we'll see what the dealership says... lol

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
robertw said:
hey what's up, i think you're on massdriven, right? lol

if you want a body shop to look at it i know some people that work at Kaputz. my friend buffed out some huge scuffs on my trunk, i can have him take a look at wtf is wrong with yours. he can give you an idea what it is, and that will give you an advantage when taking it to the dealership. let me know. im not sure exactly where you're located so this could be tough if you live far from where im from.
Cool I'd be interested! Where are they located?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts