8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Hello everyone. Quick question here. I have a small ding on door of my 06 Si. A little dent that is bothering the hell out of me. Does anyone have experience with ding king? Will it work on small dents? Am I better off taking it to a shop.

2. Also. Would it be a bad idea for me to put some sort of moulding along the side of the door. You guys know what I'm talking about? The long formica pieces that come standard on some cars that run along the side of the car. I figure if there was a nice black one out there it wouldn't look too bad. Any recommendations?

3. One more thing. I bought some langka and the factory paint to repair two small chips on my hood. There is one area I hadn't noticed. Right along the leading edge of the hood, there is a small chip. It looks a little old and seems to have a little rust in it. It is right on the front edge and it seems that the paint on the top edge of the hood right next to it has cracked, hopefully not from the rust. What should I do to repair this? Should I sand it before I apply the paint and Langka it? Thanks

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Depending on the size and type of dent you might be able to get it out with paintless dent removal. A lot of the detailing places do it. Don't have expirence with ding king.

You will probably want to post some pics if possible so people can see what type of damage you're talking about.

I don't know about sticking molding along the side of the door. No matter how careful you are with your car. There will always be someone out there that don't care or will go out of their way to damage your car. My old 95 Civic has the rubber molding and it didn't help. Ding all over the place.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
brettofthejungle said:
Cool thanks. How about that spot on the leading edge of the hood?
I am no expert but painting over a little bit of rust shouldn't cause any issues. However, the crack you mentioned might cause problems. Depending on the size of it all. You might want take the paint from the cracked area off and paint over the entire thing. But like I've said. I haven't had to deal with something like this. The small chips that have had a hint of rust of on my car were painted with touch-up.

Suprised no one else has chimed in.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm having similar experience. Someone dropped something on the edge of my hood and scrapped off the paint plus I have some rock chips. For the big scratch, the touch up paint will not look good because the brush mark. I went to local paint store who has made a spray can of paint that matches my color. I'm picking it up this weekend and gonna spray the spot then spray a coat of clear coat on it.

If the spot is too big, don't use a brush, use spray can. But if it's just a chip, can use the brush and call it a day.

For the rust, best is to use sand paper sand it off, prime it, then paint, then clear coat if you want to do it right. But if it's just a small spot, can just sand it then brush some paint on.

I have no experience with bad auto paint, but I have plenty of experience with painting over the rust on machinery. The rust will GROW and bubbles up the whole paint. To do it right, always sand the rust down. Can also get one of those things that will turn rust into primer. The bad thing is the rust into primer deal don't usually come with smooth surface. If you have to sand it down anyway, might as well just do it right.

Well, gluck. I'm gonna see how mine turns out this weekend.

·
Registered
340 Posts
yuning83 said:
I went to local paint store who has made a spray can of paint that matches my color. I'm picking it up this weekend and gonna spray the spot then spray a coat of clear coat on it.
I'm sure you're more experienced than i am, but i used a spray can paint when i tried to touch up my '92 celica and its did not turn out well at all. i taped off an area on the front fender (location of scratch) and it looked really nice, then i took the tape and paper off and there was basically a visible bump and on change in surface from where i had sprayed and where i had masked, then about two days later the scratch showed through :pat:
If i had rubbed it and worked it in the difference in paint might not have been noticeable. otherwise what i would reccomend it to pain the entire section of the car so the change will be in an actual change in piece of the car (ie. entire hood, entire fender, entire door). and of course always be aware of overspray and dripping.

Good luck guys, i am will prob always be afraid of paint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts