8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to put some aftermarket lowering springs on the HFP suspension kit to get more than the .8in that it lowers the car. i was looking for closer to 1.5 in

·
Registered
932 Posts
I agree with eugenekim.net (post #4). Not only will it add a chance of blowing the HFP struts/shocks it will be had to find the proper length spring to fit the shorter HFP struts/shocks damping rods and still a have the proper ratio that is required to make them work properly. If you already have the HFP suspension, sell them and buy the proper suspension to give you the lowered height you desire instead of messing up your car....JMHO

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
^there is no "proper" suspension released a the moment. the only aftermarket dampers for out car is the tokico (OEM replacemnt - not meant for lowering springs), or a pre-built coilover which handle like **** from everyhting i hear.

OP, the hfp dampers will handle the lowering springs for a longer time than the OEM dampers, but both dampers would eventually blow. so either way they will blow and you will still have to buy new dampers. so you mind as well use them until they arent good anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,754 Posts
The stock struts aren't necessarily meant for a lowering spring but countless ppl run lowering springs without new struts. So why couldn't someone do the same with the HFP struts? I would think they would handle the lowering spring better?

Also, in my experience the TOKICO HP is perfectly capable of handling a lowering spring. It isn't an OE replacement; KYB GR2's are OE replacement. The HP's are more than that.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
If the shock is shorter, then it may pose a problem with aftermarket lowering springs.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
If the shock is shorter, then it may pose a problem with aftermarket lowering springs.
Why? Wouldn't the hfp shocks be valved better for a lower spring than the oem ones? Regardless, I wouldn't do the hfp's unless I was gonna use the entire kit. I would get the springs that I wanted and just wait for the struts.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
i meant if the shock overall is shorter, it wouldn't be recommended with an aftermarket spring designed for as an OEM replacement. Lets say the spring height is 8" uncompressed. The HFP shock, being shorter, would have the spring compressed more than the OEM shock. This doesn't allow the spring to perform properly. So to use an HFP shock, if it were shorter in length, you may need a 7.5" or 7" spring with stiffer spring rates.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
You would only blow your oem shocks on lowering springs if you were riding really badly paved roads. Most lowering springs are designed to be worked with the valving of oem shocks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts