8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was talking with a friend about intakes and there are the two main to choose from short ram and cold air.

What is the main point of each one?

I heard short ram is for power in the lower RPMS and cold air is for the higher.

Is this true, what one would be the best for my SI.

THanks for the help

Denny

·
Banned
28,158 Posts
Most CAI's and SRI's for the Si, seem to either run the car lean, or rich, at certain points of the rev range.

However Xfactorwrx has worked on a SRI with a modified MAF housing, which provides better gains than any of the others out there, and has been dyno proven..

·
Registered
807 Posts
So far it looks to be the X-intake(its in one of the blue postes)
I have the Ingen CAI and its ok.It will lag sometimes at take off.Upper end is nice
and yes low end some loss.However Iv never had a short ram so I couldent compair.
Somtimes when Im on the free way Ill see some BIG puddels I get a little:xyxnervou.Im of the thinking that short ram would be nice in the winter
CAI summer.I think Im going with the X-intake but Im not sure if Im getting
camed or not.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
So far it looks to be the X-intake(its in one of the blue postes)
I have the Ingen CAI and its ok.It will lag sometimes at take off.Upper end is nice
and yes low end some loss.However Iv never had a short ram so I couldent compair.
Somtimes when Im on the free way Ill see some BIG puddels I get a little:xyxnervou.Im of the thinking that short ram would be nice in the winter
CAI summer.I think Im going with the X-intake but Im not sure if Im getting
camed or not.
Then get his V1 intake now, and if you chose to go cammed you send back your V1 along with $50 and he will ship a V2 intake for the cams to you.

·
Registered
522 Posts
SRI might (chances are they WILL) suffer from heat soak especially in the hot summers but will give you some small gains

CAI will give you some better high RPM gains yet small losses in the low RPM's.. the BIG neg is the risk of Hydrolocking... theres was a thread recently about a kid that hydrolocked with his Injen CAI even and he said he had a hydroshield

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Get the Xfactor intake. It eliminates the hassles of CEL's, bogging, hesitation and gives a solid performance gain. A CAI has issues like installation, hydrolocking and filter access problems. A SRI has heat soak problems. X's intake is well thought out because the MAF sensor has been designed to maintain the characteristics of a stock unit. XFactor FTW!

·
Registered
522 Posts
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66133&highlight=hydrolock
found the link i had addressed earlier about the hydrolocking

also ive read that many people have to cut out pieces of their inner fender to get CAI to fit.. those are some of the things along with wierd AFR and bogging down either by heatsoaking or loss of low rpm power on the CAI's that made me decide none of the bigname after markets are for me. I ordered X's intake and i still got like week-2weeks more of wait time.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
CAI is good but hydrolock is bad....I think you get more low end. A SRI is good for high end but lacks power in the low end. I like X's intake because it uses the factory rubber hose...I guess that adds some power since it isn't aluminum, and doesn't get hot as easy

·
Registered
58 Posts
SRI also tend to be louder...in the summer, you will prob LOSE power due to the heatsoak of the SRI...in short CAI tend to have more power, but there is always that hydrolock risk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.