8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats going on my Honda brothers, I recently bought a 2007 Honda Civic Si (FA5) not too long ago and I'm looking to replace the clutch and flywheel soon. Ive done a ton of research not only on here but on other sites as well but I just needed some people to assure me that I made a good choice.

I bought an Exedy OE clutch kit and with that I chose to run a 15LB flywheel. My Si is bone stock, my daily driver everywhere, with no mods installed what so ever. Did I make the right choice for a daily driver?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hmm, I believe so. Though be careful if your flywheel is lightweight you’ll have to retune your car. Because a check engine light will come on. Also I have the Exedy Clutch Kit installed myself. With a direct replacement OEM clutch. Though I recommend buying a Honda Genuine Throwout bearing and not using the one that came with the kit. It will last longer and will not make any noises.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, I believe so. Though be careful if your flywheel is lightweight you’ll have to retune your car. Because a check engine light will come on. Also I have the Exedy Clutch Kit installed myself. With a direct replacement OEM clutch. Though I recommend buying a Honda Genuine Throwout bearing and not using the one that came with the kit. It will last longer and will not make any noises.
I think I'll be fine then, the flywheel I'm going to have installed onto it is going to be 15LB's, which if im not mistaken the same weight as the stock OEM flywheel that our Si's come with from factory.

Are the Exedy throw out bearings that come with the kit no good? I'm starting to hear chattering when engaging and disengaging my clutch (one reason I want to replace clutch/flywheel) usually when switching gears in the lower RPM's but it goes away once accelerating and the car still changes gears and engages no problem

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think I'll be fine then, the flywheel I'm going to have installed onto it is going to be 15LB's, which if im not mistaken the same weight as the stock OEM flywheel that our Si's come with from factory.

Are the Exedy throw out bearings that come with the kit no good? I'm starting to hear chattering when engaging and disengaging my clutch (one reason I want to replace clutch/flywheel) usually when switching gears in the lower RPM's but it goes away once accelerating and the car still changes gears and engages no problem
Normally that means your throwout bearing is going bad. I have never tried the exedy throwout bearing, but online I’ve read that they aren’t stable as in durability.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Normally that means your throwout bearing is going bad. I have never tried the exedy throwout bearing, but online I’ve read that they aren’t stable as in durability.
I thought so, I did some research on Exedy clutch pilot bearings and throw out bearings and they really don't have any good reviews on them, might just buy oem parts for that

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Other than that I think that is all I have, for now, thank you man! This forum has helped me a lot!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would I be able to use the Honda OEM throw out bearing on the Exedy clutch kit? Or will I have any issues with placement?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Would I be able to use the Honda OEM throw out bearing on the Exedy clutch kit? Or will I have any issues with placement?
Yes sir. I have one installed.
The only thing I switched out was the throwout bearing on the Exedy clutch kit. I used everything else from Exedy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes sir. I have one installed.
The only thing I switched out was the throwout bearing on the Exedy clutch kit. I used everything else from Exedy.
Ok, I ordered an OEM throwout bearing, now I just have to wait for it arrive. Hoping to get this project done soon and get my Si back on the road :giggle:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ok, I ordered an OEM throwout bearing, now I just have to wait for it arrive. Hoping to get this project done soon and get my Si back on the road :giggle:
Good luck to you man! These Si’s are hella fun. I have an 07 with 140k miles. I’m looking to get a newer one though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good luck to you man! These Si’s are hella fun. I have an 07 with 140k miles. I’m looking to get a newer one though.

Thank you brother! Yes they are, this is my first Si, it was either between a 1999 or this 2007 I just bought, looking to buy a 9th or 10th gen Si in a few years as my next car

1 - 11 of 11 Posts