8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I did the stupidist thing today. Took my Civic EX w/ navi to my regular car wash and instead of putting the car in neutral going through the wash put it in reverse instead and didn't realize it. As a result the car went through the 85% of the car wash in reverse until I had realized my mistake and put the car in neutral.:SHOCKED:

You think I did any permanent damage to my baby in doing this? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
why will you have damage? it will be like driving in reverse when its raining.

so don't worrie your baby is just fine:thumb:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the front driver's wheel is locked in place by a mechanism pulling the car through the car wash but the driver's side front wheel is not. So both wheels are trying to turn in reverse when the car is being pulled forward through the car wash.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope so and that it did no damage to the car except maybe wear down the treads on the wheels some. Basically I'm just hitting my head against the wall right now for not paying attention and missing my mistake in the first place!:banghead:

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
arisenfury said:
I'm sure it's no different than keeping your car in drive at a stop light with the brakes applied.
It's actually more like rolling backwards down a hill with it in drive.... which i wuold think is not good for the car.... but i'm no technician

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
asndragonboii said:
It's actually more like rolling backwards down a hill with it in drive.... which i wuold think is not good for the car.... but i'm no technician
If that's the case then his RPMs would've been going crazy.

It's the same as being at a stop light, the wheels want to spin but they cannot since they're being held in place so the transmission effectively puts it in neutral.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
oh yeah.... i guess you're right. I was thinking the wheels were still moving while in the car wash. But i think it's on a platform that movies instead.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
arisenfury said:
If that's the case then his RPMs would've been going crazy.

It's the same as being at a stop light, the wheels want to spin but they cannot since they're being held in place so the transmission effectively puts it in neutral.
I have a feeling that that is the most likely scenario as my RPM did not go up any that I noticed while going through the car wash and I did not hear any load grinding sounds coming from the wheels (although it is very noisy in the car wash so if there was I just might not have hear).

Haven't seen any adverse effects so far, so cross my figures that this is just me being overly cautious due to my own stupidity and making a big deal out of nothing.:pray:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
howstuffworks.com said:
First, the car is placed on the conveyor track. At the beginning of the conveyor is a device called a correlator. This is simply a series of wheels or rollers that allow the wheel of the car to slide sideways until it is aligned with the conveyor.

The car is turned off and placed in neutral. Most conveyor systems have small rollers that pop up behind the wheel once it is on the conveyor. The roller pushes the wheel forward, causing the car to roll along through the tunnel, which is the term used to describe the long bay used for exterior-only and full-service systems.

Your wheel was put on that little plate, then two rollers pop up in front of it and behind it locking it in place. The plate is then pulled down through the rest of the wash. The front left wheel never moves. It'd be the same as putting the car in reverse and using the brakes to keep you still.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts