8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
do you guys clean the chrome parts just like the paint? the chrome parts in the front of the car on the grill with the honda emblem?

total noob here LOL

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not to try and promote outside sources, but I have always been a big fan of the detailing show 'Drive Clean' on the drive network, drive - YouTube, very informative and will guide you in cleaning theory and abstract solutions to keeping your car pristine, effectively and efficiently.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've always been skeptical about people that say "OMG DON'T USE DISH SOAP!"

I've been washing my cars with Dawn Anti-bacterial dish soap for several years. No problems here. The paint looks just like it did brand new. I've got a 96 Dodge Ram that has ONLY been washed with Dawn and it still shines like new. Of course, I wax my vehicles after every wash. (I'm a little bit OCD).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've always been skeptical about people that say "OMG DON'T USE DISH SOAP!"

I've been washing my cars with Dawn Anti-bacterial dish soap for several years. No problems here. The paint looks just like it did brand new. I've got a 96 Dodge Ram that has ONLY been washed with Dawn and it still shines like new. Of course, I wax my vehicles after every wash. (I'm a little bit OCD).

Detergents like Dawn are good degreasers, great for filthy cars and for a wash before a paint job as it is a heavy detergent and removes grease, dirt, silicone, wax, etc.

People say not to use such detergents because they also remove the wax on the car, whereas a wash made for cars is much gentler to the paint and does not remove the wax or glaze that was applied "last time it was washed". Keeping wax on your paint after every wash if using a heavy detergent is a good idea as the Dawn will remove what was applied last time.

Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
:thumb:
Detergents like Dawn are good degreasers, great for filthy cars and for a wash before a paint job as it is a heavy detergent and removes grease, dirt, silicone, wax, etc.

People say not to use such detergents because they also remove the wax on the car, whereas a wash made for cars is much gentler to the paint and does not remove the wax or glaze that was applied "last time it was washed". Keeping wax on your paint after every wash if using a heavy detergent is a good idea as the Dawn will remove what was applied last time.

Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hey guys, I know this is a pretty old thread but I was just wondering about the steps that he's provided. There's nothing about claybarring on here. Any advice?

·
Registered
594 Posts
wash
iron x (removes iron particles that clay wont, but not necessary)
clay
comp0und (if needed)
polish
sealant
wax

·
Registered
594 Posts
For claybarring all there is to it is getting your clay and clay lube or quick/instant detailer. Need the clay in your hand to get it pliable. Then spray your car, one section at a time, liberally with the lube and run the clay over the surface. It should glide and not stutter. Then grab a plush microfiber towel and wipe away the excess lube.

That's what she said?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would never use a terry cloth on the paint. Your better off buying a box of microfiber towels. They're about $1 each depending on the size and where you get it from. Way worth it IMO.
Do make sure not to drop them on the ground, because they hold everything they touch.
so then how do you clean these microfiber cloths? would putting it in the washer make them let go of the dirt?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I haven't done any pokishing yet but its a process from what Ive found. If you do a quick youtube search that should tell you what you need to know.

Microfibers can be washed in a regular washing machine. Cold water, no softener and add somevinegar where yoy would normally add the softener or bleach. The vinegar help get rid of any detergent thats left during the rinsing cycle. I was them seperately from my clothes. I also usr a home made detergent that works perfectly. You can find the recipe online. To dry make sure your dryer is on low with no fabric softener cloths.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I haven't done any pokishing yet but its a process from what Ive found. If you do a quick youtube search that should tell you what you need to know.

Microfibers can be washed in a regular washing machine. Cold water, no softener and add somevinegar where yoy would normally add the softener or bleach. The vinegar help get rid of any detergent thats left during the rinsing cycle. I was them seperately from my clothes. I also usr a home made detergent that works perfectly. You can find the recipe online. To dry make sure your dryer is on low with no fabric softener cloths.
ahh thank you

One last thing, what product do you guys use to protect the rubber pieces such as the moon roof and or the plastic trim pieces right on the window. I have heard of mothers back to black, what do you guys use? and has anybody used mothers back to black? I would also like to use some form of protector so my rubber pieces don't wear away as quickly.

·
Registered
594 Posts
303 aerospace is very popular and works great for interiors

Im going to start using ultima trim and tire guard just because it lasts months at a time where 303 in the exterior may last a week or two

61 - 80 of 87 Posts