8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Finished up my long 6 hr day of detailing yesterday. I will probably put on a second coat of wax tomorrow or Monday. I drove on wet roads last night after the detailing and there are some small dirty spots on the doors. Is it okay to just wipe it off, add some quick detailer, and start waxing after the quick detailer settles?

Here's what I did friday:

1. Simple Green car wash
2. Mothers clay bar
3. Meguiars #7 pure polish/glaze
4. Meguiars #26 yellow wax

·
Registered
17 Posts
I see a lot of our original material in the write up.
At least it is being used elsewhere...

I just bought a Civic EX for gas milage and thought I would take a peek in the detailing section.

·
Registered
17 Posts
should i really clay the car every time i wax????considering my car is a year old and not garage kept
"If" you can feel "bumps" in the paint, it is time to clay.
I bought a new 2008 Civic and it needed to be clayed. It was really bad (in need).
After claying (washed first), I did a good QD and then applied Zaino Z1, 3 coats of it.

Keeping the car new looking will pay for itself when it comes time to trade in or sell:)

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
After washing my car, I drive my car on the highway speed 65 mph speedlimit and come back to wash it up and wax it.. haha it takes 2 minutes! Rather than letting it dry and then come wash/wax it.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
So, it's been suggested:

-Meguiar's-
(Steps 1,2,3 clearly labeled on the burgundy Meguiar's bottles):

-Wash
-Claybar
-Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner (Step 1)
-Deep Crystal System Polish (Step 2)
-(How about adding a Meguiar's Sealant here?)
-Deep Crystal System Carnauba Wax (Step 3)

Is there any logic to adding in the Sealant step? I'm intrigued...but doesn't the wax already "seal in" the goodness? Anyone with advanced knowledge, please chime in!

After I use up all the Turtle Trash I just bought (save for ICE Liquid Wax & 1-Step Wax&Dry Spray which do wonders for a new vehicle's clearcoat), I'm moving onto Meguiar's :thumb:.

·
Registered
10 Posts
^I don't think the wax seals in the goodness of your car.. If you want, you can replace DC caranuba wax with NXT Tech Wax 2.0.. It's a synthetic wax AND sealer. Synthetic waxes are also more durable than caranuba. Caranuba is used to give a more show car look but gives up durability.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
so i see in the OP that it is said to apply the wax in a side to side motion. i've never heard of this method and was always taught to apply in a circular motion and buff it in the same way. comments?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Does what it says on the bottle, usually a circular motion. I know that some products (like Turtle's Polishing and Rubbing Compounds) advocate a side-side motion of application, but in general, just do the circular motions. Think about how the DA polishers and rotaries work...more circular than rectangular.

·
Registered
104 Posts
so i see in the OP that it is said to apply the wax in a side to side motion. i've never heard of this method and was always taught to apply in a circular motion and buff it in the same way. comments?
All the cars I've done including my personal car....I have also done up and down motion but when it's time to remove the wax I would do a circular motion with a little bit of QD of my choice to help remove wax so there's no areas with smears.

But I also use a DA with a wax pad and go off the walls with a car too. lol

Edit: Here's a completed carbon hood restoration I did a month or so back with my up and down motion and circular motion removal.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts